GOG to start selling LucasArts games

Started by Huw the Poo, October 28, 2014, 02:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Sod it...I'm going to give Tie Fighter a go.

Normally I don't "go back" and I don't like bad graphics - but I do have very fond memories these two titles. Maybe it'll stick. It's only £7. I could skip lunch tomorrow and save that...I won't, but I could  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

Refreshingly honest.

Speaking of great manuals, anyone remember the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe or Battle of Britain manuals? Sigh...gems of distant age.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

For me I have had a resurgence of playing older games as of late.  I was either too young to play them or appreciate them.  If you look around, there are a lot of retro/through back games using the 8-bit/pixelation art style.  Don't be fooled, even though the graphics are "out dated", the substance and gameplay are on-par or exceed some of the titles today.  Some really good times to be had at a very cheap price!

PE

JudgeDredd

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 28, 2014, 02:32:39 PM
For me I have had a resurgence of playing older games as of late.  I was either too young to play them or appreciate them.  If you look around, there are a lot of retro/through back games using the 8-bit/pixelation art style.  Don't be fooled, even though the graphics are "out dated", the substance and gameplay are on-par or exceed some of the titles today.  Some really good times to be had at a very cheap price!

PE
I know PE - but I just don't have the gaming time to devote to something that doesn't cut it graphically. It's not that graphics are the be all and end all alone (though they are admittedly extremely important to me) - but some (a lot) the games I have which are graphically superior are also great games and enjoyable - meaning I just don't have the time to allow these older looking titles into my gaming life and no desire to allow them in because - well...without graphics and me with games that are very enjoyable with great graphics...where's the need to do so?

Tie Fighter (and maybe X-Wing) are only really being given a shout because I remember them so fondly.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

PanzersEast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2014, 03:05:24 PM
I know PE - but I just don't have the gaming time to devote to something that doesn't cut it graphically. It's not that graphics are the be all and end all alone (though they are admittedly extremely important to me) - but some (a lot) the games I have which are graphically superior are also great games and enjoyable - meaning I just don't have the time to allow these older looking titles into my gaming life and no desire to allow them in because - well...without graphics and me with games that are very enjoyable with great graphics...where's the need to do so?

Tie Fighter (and maybe X-Wing) are only really being given a shout because I remember them so fondly.

I know where you are coming from.... with limited time you really have to maximized your playing time. I recently uninstalled a ton of crap from my HD that just was not going to get any play time... it was just want time but attrition caused me to remove them.  O0


PE

republic

I wish developers would see that with the success of GoG we don't need million dollar graphics fidelity and 100% accurate realism in order to make a fun game.  I've yet to find a flight sim that matches Red Baron or Aces of the Pacific/Over Europe as far as enjoyability.  There is such a deep divide between arcade and simulation today.  There is no middle anymore.

Gusington

^Sing it, brother! Some arcadey titles more than scratch the itch for me, however. Like the newly redone Wings, which I am about to start. But in general I am constantly looking for that middle ground too, with ample atmosphere.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

So did anybody end up purchasing?  Any feedback on how it holds up on modern equipment?  I know the graphics won't be stellar, but any other gotchas you have experienced?  Although I know I will regret it in the end because these old games always fool me, thinking about giving Tie Fighter a go again.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2014, 02:57:13 AM
XWing was great.  TiE Fighter was fantastic.

if there was EVER a game that deserved a modern reboot its this one.  the campaign was amazing and the choices it gave you were great.  with modern programing..... it makes me shudder and makes Gus's loins more moist then Niagara.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


BanzaiCat

Welp, this is certainly news I missed this past week.

Wow. Just, wow.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Jarhead0331

I got it but the 98 version won't run because it requires a joystick and the game does not detect my x55 rhino. What the heck.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 01, 2014, 10:46:01 PM
I got it but the 98 version won't run because it requires a joystick and the game does not detect my x55 rhino. What the heck.

That sucks....makes me concerned if mine would be detected, using a Thurstmaster nowadays, but have access to X52 as well.  I have seen people say xbox controller works, but likely not as optimal as a joystick.

JudgeDredd

I got it and did fire it up but failed the first mission due to not knowing wtf the keys were.

It took me back right away and I have to say it wasn't an unpleasant experience.

and yeah...it won't run without a joystick which I thought was weird. It did however detect my x52, though again I didn't change the controls, so I couldn't fly properly our attack. I'll let you know more tonight when I get home.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people