Combat Mission: Black Sea Article - Out by End of Year

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 25, 2014, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RyanE

"Battlefront's patching/modules/activation scheme is getting as bad as Graviteam's"

Exactly my thinking on the thing.  It has been heading this way for a couple years now.  It seems each release adds one more complication with the promise it will get simpler.

Elvis

RyanE, when I posted that the pack was released while I was eating lunch at 12 30 edt it was there. That is when I first saw that it had been released. If you saw a release announcement earlier that that (certainly possible) that didn't include that then you did. But I know that was there when I posted that the pack had been released.  100% there at tgat time.

Disingenuous?  Come one. Is posting that the activation system has changed supposed to be the lead story? Seriously?  It is in the front page of the website announcement and even has a screen shot BELOW it. Dude, you need to get a grip. As the announcement says, there is a Readme file in the download, it's in the MANUAL that comes with the download and there is a Knowledgebase article about it. What do you want them to do? Personally call everyone who buys it and talk them through it?

I don't know the exact time of the release but I do know that when I saw it EXACTLY what I posted a screen shot of was there. EXACTLY.  If you missed it don't try and put that on me or them.

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JudgeDredd

So why does an additional pack require the re-activation of other modules?

In have found their upgrade system confusing in the past. Given the different versions, different version patches, different activation and de-activation processes...I think it's a f***ing mess.

Great games - shite "get up and running" experience.  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

RyanE

Well its good to see that BFC technical support finds this type of documentation a good way to go

Holy Cow...have you guys been doing this so long now that you can't see the angst you create in your customers.  And something like this could have been a moot point with the inclusion of a simple readme file.  I can create one for you in 5 seconds.  Are you guys so internally focused you don't even realize the bullshittery you create with almost every release?

If I was the only one, I would say...OK, lesson learned.  But look at the number of people saying the same thing.  Yet you will cling to the perspective that it was all nice and clear.

I mean, its still like that.  Nothing has changed.  So I can only assume that BFC just doesn't give a crap.

Elvis

Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 05:43:56 AM
Well its good to see that BFC technical support finds this type of documentation a good way to go

Holy Cow...have you guys been doing this so long now that you can't see the angst you create in your customers.  And something like this could have been a moot point with the inclusion of a simple readme file.  I can create one for you in 5 seconds.  Are you guys so internally focused you don't even realize the bullshittery you create with almost every release?

If I was the only one, I would say...OK, lesson learned.  But look at the number of people saying the same thing.  Yet you will cling to the perspective that it was all nice and clear.

I mean, its still like that.  Nothing has changed.  So I can only assume that BFC just doesn't give a crap.

Dude, what is your frickin problem? And why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I didn't comment one way or the other about if it was a "good way to go" or not. I just pointed out what you missed.  Which  includes the Readme file that you keep saying should be included..........and is.


Elvis

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 29, 2014, 01:28:19 AM
So why does an additional pack require the re-activation of other modules?


The system itself is being changed to one that will he eliminate some of the issues that have been talked about in different threads on this forum. This Pack is the first release with the new system and converts the game to the new system.

RyanE

My problem is BFC consistently cocking up the DRM.  Me wasting my fricking time meandering through false deactivations, help desk, hidden instructions, etc.  Every time a new release comes out of I add something as simple as RAM to my PC, I spend more time in help desk communications than I do playing.  I am about to upgrade my PC and I am already dreading reinstalling any BFC and Graviteam product.  Its to the point, it becomes a factor in my laptop purchasing decisions.

Yet BFC seems to see no issues with it.  BFC and Graviteam have become synonymous in my book.  Love the games, hate the company.

btw, I don't have to put words in your mouth...if nothing changes, anyone would assume BFC is OK with how it is.

RyanE

So I own other BFC games like TOW and SC.  Am I eventually going to have to reactivate those too?

Staggerwing

Elvis,
In case it gets lost in all the DRM vitriol I wanted to thank you for taking your time to proactively help folks in setting up their games and fixing problems. Irrespective of what BFC does or does not do as a company, knowing you are at the ready is much appreciated and goes a long way toward making me consider getting CM: Black Sea sooner rather than later.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Elvis on October 29, 2014, 06:09:29 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 29, 2014, 01:28:19 AM
So why does an additional pack require the re-activation of other modules?


The system itself is being changed to one that will he eliminate some of the issues that have been talked about in different threads on this forum. This Pack is the first release with the new system and converts the game to the new system.

Elvis,

there's something here which isn't right, mate.

The activation process might be new, but I have been flummoxed by it - and I am a quite technical person and I have very good short term memory. In my case, the application, rather than presenting to me clearly what modules I had activated, showed six green boxes all with the same text "CM Battle For Normandy PC". Which is different from the presentation for Market Garden (where it was clearly spelled out what was activated or not).

It was a bit like playing Mastermind:

* Entered 3.0 license code -> I got three green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"
* Entered CW license code -> I got four green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"
* Entered MG license code -> I got five green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"
* Launched the game, couldn't find the Churchill AVRE in the Editor, so...
* Shut down game
* Entered Vehicle Pack license code -> I got six green boxes reading "CM Battle For Normandy PC"

I know from first hand how much of a pain is to put up an installer for people with widely varying configurations. But guys, come on, getting this almost right - probably the most controversial thing ever about Battlefront.com games, and the least interesting thing to talk about Battlefront.com games - is actually getting it quite wrong.

I have reported this to the Helpdesk, of course.

RyanE

That was what ended up setting me off.  I probably shut down and restarted CMBN a dozen times and kept re-entering activation codes.  It was what eventually got me looking for a readme.  It is almost a repeat of the whole 2.12 patch that wasn't 2.12 issue.

Cyrano

Yeah, I kind of wanted to +1 Staggerwing on this:  thanks, Elvis, you definitely helped me.

Whatever BFC needs to take away from this and whatever it in fact does take away from this, I'm grateful for your help.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

RyanE

There seems to be a little more push back on the value of the pack on the BFC site.  The price doesn't bother me much.  I think the more rare and special the vehicles, the more they should cost. 

At this point, I think they should reconsider the separate bulge engine and just add more modules and packs to CMBN that takes it to the end of the war.  From an outside perspective, I don't see the benefit of building a whole new engine.  They can also make more money from that strategy than a big new engine and modules for that.  I would hole that is would minimize DM issues as well.

bboyer66

Have not bought anything from Battlefront in over two years, the last product being Combat Mission Strike Force Marines.  Was considering buying Combat Mission Normandy the other day and was so confused as to what I was supposed to buy, that I said fuck it.

Here is what I think you have to buy and do to install

CM Battle for Normandy Big Bundle  $85.00

Then you have to buy the 3.0 engine upgrade for $10.00

Then activate all those, because wargames seem to be the only games I ever have to register because of the huge number of wargaming pirates out there  :idiot2:

Finally the new vehicle pack for $20.00 in which I then have to activate everything I just activated again.

That is what it take to bring Normandy up to date ..... I think.

Im surprised Battlefront does not offer (for an additional fee of course) someone to come to your house and personally help people through the installation process.