Great Battles Series Multiplayer

Started by Cyrano, November 01, 2014, 07:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cyrano

So, Nefaro reminded me to give my GOG copy of the GBS a whirl.

I forgot how absolutely wonderful the system and the game are.  Yeah, the "center on general" function doesn't work -- which is weird and a pain from time to time -- but this is easily the best ancients PC game available.  Nothing else comes close to making my groggy heart go pitter-pat the way this does.

That said, I can't for the life of me get the MP to work.  I start hosting a game, input the proper IP onto another machine on my LAN, and the latter has no luck finding the game.  The firewall is given permission to pass the data through, both games are up-to-date for what that's worth, and still nothing.

Anyone hereabouts have any thoughts or perhaps experience herewith?  If the MP is broken I will merely be sad and move on, but I want to be certain.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Asid

Hi

I have it. I will take a look in about 20 mins. I am on the Steel Beasts Teampseak... :)
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

panzerde

Installing it now. I didn't put it back on when I bought this computer last year, but you're right, it's a great deal of fun.


Having said that, I'm pretty partial to the HPS Ancient Wars games...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

I can't find any documentation on proper firewall settings for this. I suspect that's the problem. While Windows Firewall detects that the game is trying to communicate, it may not be opening all of the required ports. I certainly can't determine what port(s) I might need to forward on my actual firewall to allow Internet play.


If I get motivated I'll throw Wireshark on the gaming rig and sniff for the game traffic, but I haven't done that yet.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Asid

Quote from: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:12:16 PM
Installing it now. I didn't put it back on when I bought this computer last year, but you're right, it's a great deal of fun.


Having said that, I'm pretty partial to the HPS Ancient Wars games...

I also have the Ancient war series :)

Whos up for testing the MP connection? I have a game up now....
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Asid

I have a Great Battles Hannibal scenario up. Let me know if you want to try and join
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

panzerde

No joy. It can't find the game. I'm assuming you have some sort of firewall; what did you set up for port forwarding on it?
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Asid

Quote from: panzerde on November 01, 2014, 08:55:44 PM
No joy. It can't find the game. I'm assuming you have some sort of firewall; what did you set up for port forwarding on it?

If you check my sig you can find me on Teamspeak. It will be easier to trouble shoot. I haven't changed anything in the router yet.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Cyrano

Damnation...missed all this...how's it going?


Jim
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Nefaro

I recall reading something about the multi-player not working with newer OSes quite awhile back.  May not be an option these days.  Wasn't it made for Win95 originally?


Speaking of the Great Battles series... still have yet to get Hoplite and Ran studied up for the table.   :-*