Main Menu

RIP Tom Magliozzi

Started by mirth, November 03, 2014, 03:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

QuoteA NOTE FROM RAY
It is with great sadness that I share the news that my older brother and co-host, Tom, has passed away at the age of 77, from complications of Alzheimer's disease.  His decline was very quick, and it caught us all by surprise. 

Even in my grief, I am thankful for a number of things.  One is that Tom really lived the life he wanted to live.  He spent his time inventing zany theories, talking to you guys every week on the radio show, and primarily, laughing his butt off.  Now there's a life.

I'm also grateful that Tom spent so much of his life with me in front of a microphone.  So we will always have thousands of hours of the two of us taking calls from our listeners, and having as much fun as any two people should be allowed to have at something called "work."  I can think of no better tribute to him than allowing people to continue to listen to these programs.

Finally, I am grateful that I have so many of you with whom to share my sadness this week.  Many of you welcomed us both into your homes and cars, and enjoyed visiting with us as much as we enjoyed visiting with you, and making your car problems worse.

If you have thoughts or remembrances you wish to share, I invite you to do so here.  Or, if you're otherwise inclined, in lieu of flowers or rotten fish, I'm sure Tom would be honored if you decided to make a small contribution to your favorite public radio station or to the Alzheimer's Association in his memory. 

We're using our website, www.cartalk.com, as our communal gathering place this week, so please join us there if you like.

With gratitude,

Ray Magliozzi

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Those two were awesome. Never to be replaced. RIP, Tom.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

This news really bums me out. I've listened to Car Talk every weekend for 20 years. It's one of the few things in the world that will always make me laugh and smile, no matter how shitty things may be. Tom, by all accounts, was a kind and generous soul who truly loved life. I'm sure wherever he is now. he's still laughing his butt off.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/tom-magliozzi-1937-2014

QuoteTom Magliozzi who, along with his brother Ray, hosted NPR's hit comedy show Car Talk for the last 37 years, died Monday morning from complications of Alzheimer's Disease. "Turns out he wasn't kidding," said Ray. "He really couldn't remember last week's puzzler."

Still making me laugh  :)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

I never had even a basic interest in car repair, but these two guys could engage me and make me hang on every word. Damn. RIP.

Staggerwing

Rest easy Tommy. May your late beloved Dodge Dart be up there waiting to take you on all new adventures.









Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys