GOG to start selling LucasArts games

Started by Huw the Poo, October 28, 2014, 02:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro


smittyohio

Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!

Just out of curiosity, has this game been modded into a decent state?  The original game got *horrible* reviews... Just wondering if it's gonna be another GOG game where the user ratings are completely out of whack with how good the game actually was back in the day.

JasonPratt

Personally I take this as evidence that someone at Disney has decided to resurrect the games side of Lucasarts, and this is the first reasonable step.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

#63
Quote from: smittyohio on November 03, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!

Just out of curiosity, has this game been modded into a decent state?  The original game got *horrible* reviews... Just wondering if it's gonna be another GOG game where the user ratings are completely out of whack with how good the game actually was back in the day.

I played it again back in '08 or '09.  It was still a lot of fun, despite the graphics obviously being outdated.  Those weren't even too bad except for the fleet battles sub-game.  The ships were always pretty tiny in that 3D space so they didn't have all that much resolution.

The reason Rebellion got bad reviews back in '99 was due to it's learning curve.  Between the varied facets, some unconventional GUI mechanics, and reading some parts of the manual being almost a requirement, the twitch strategy gamer crowd wasn't into it much.  Back then those types were all about playing Age Of Empires or any of a horde of typical Build & Swarm style RTSes that were the rage.  Not games where you had to calculate far ahead because sending your fleets into hyperspace meant you'd have to wait quite awhile before they came back out - with no recourse once they're sent. 

GDS_Starfury

digging around it would seem that X-Wing Alliance got a pretty massive graphic overhaul a while back.



I also feel like Ive posted this info before.....
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


endfire79

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 03, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
digging around it would seem that X-Wing Alliance got a pretty massive graphic overhaul a while back.



I also feel like Ive posted this info before.....

Man, flying that thing around the Rebel fleet in Tie Fighter was sweet :)
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Anguille

#67
Quote from: smittyohio on November 03, 2014, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2014, 03:40:12 PM
^ Watch the price drop once GOG releases it for $10!

Just out of curiosity, has this game been modded into a decent state?  The original game got *horrible* reviews... Just wondering if it's gonna be another GOG game where the user ratings are completely out of whack with how good the game actually was back in the day.

I guess the problem was that the game has a awfull interface, bad graphics in battles (with x-wing fighters flying backwards  ::)) , a huge manual and a steep learning curve (when you compare it to Birth of the Federation released the same year, you see why this hurts). Still...once you pass these, there's a really good 4x with lots of interesting stuff.

I have the disc but would still buy a GOG edition of it...

Martok

Bah.  I'll take Empire at War over Rebellion/Supremacy any day of the week.  It's a lot prettier, and far less painful to learn how to play. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 05:21:16 AM
Bah.  I'll take Empire at War over Rebellion/Supremacy any day of the week.  It's a lot prettier, and far less painful to learn how to play.

Hmm, I actually have that one in my Steam library!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Shelldrake

The X-Wing Alliance graphics upgrade looks very nice - will have to find my disk and check it out!  :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 05:21:16 AM
Bah.  I'll take Empire at War over Rebellion/Supremacy any day of the week.  It's a lot prettier, and far less painful to learn how to play.

...and you call yourself a grog? Heresy! You should be burned at the stake. Empire at war is ok, but the only thing it has over rebellion is looks. That's it. Rebellion is a far superior wargame.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

Empire at War was pretty much Age of Empires in a Star Wars wrapper.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Rebellion was certainly a different game with a learning curve. I was so smitten with the ability to control the Empire, though, that I saw past that. Loved being able to capture Rebel scum heroes and slowly strangling the life out of their fledgling rebellion as planet after planet slowly fell under my Imperial might...sigh.  :smitten:

I do remember that I did that once. Once, as in, one game. That game probably took me close to 80 hours of gameplay. Movement was a chore as Nefaro stated; it took way too long. The Death Star was worse than a Houston driver going under the speed limit in the passing lane - that damn thing took forever to move to a new system. But once it did, the system became suitably scared. Using it, though, to destroy a planet meant a huge amount of Rebel support appearing throughout the galaxy, IIRC.

Martok

Hey, at least EaW possesses a halfway-decent combat system and a UI that doesn't feel like it's actively trying to thwart me (even if it is a much shallower game).  Sorry, but this is one instance in which I will cheerfully choose "shallow/pretty" in the name of getting to the fun quickly and easily; Rebellion was simply too frustrating to figure out for me to enjoy. 




Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 06:48:11 AM
...and you call yourself a grog? Heresy! You should be burned at the stake.
Mmm, steak.  Now I'm getting hungry again.  :D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 07:42:55 AM
Hey, at least EaW possesses a halfway-decent combat system and a UI that doesn't feel like it's actively trying to thwart me (even if it is a much shallower game).  Sorry, but this is one instance in which I will cheerfully choose "shallow/pretty" in the name of getting to the fun quickly and easily; Rebellion was simply too frustrating to figure out for me to enjoy. 

Oh, I completely agree with you; don't get me wrong. Like I said, I played through Rebellion one time and was done with it. If it comes out on GOG I'll buy it again (eventually, probably months down the road), play through it one time, and be done with it again.

When I played Rebellion, I was without children and had a LOT of free time on my hands. Today, if I had a choice between Rebellion and EaW, it would be EaW, hands down, 90% of the time. Rebellion, you'd have to pick at slowly over a long period of time.

I wonder what the mod community might have done with Rebellion, and if GOG releases it if it will incorporate any of that.