Average McDudeBro: RPS scores!

Started by MengJiao, November 04, 2014, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao

I'm playing Far Cry 3, now that Far Cry 4 seems like it will be fun.  I wanted to play Far cry 3 before 4.

Far Cry 3 is pretty good.  I liked Far Cry (2004) and skipped Far Cry 2.  The "story" in Far Cry 3 is strangely annoying
and RPS has done a great job of elucidating how that happened.  But the best summation of Far Cry 3 in RPS
is from an interview with the writer for Far Cry 4.  There RPS says:


Far Cry 3 sort of charted its main character's progression from Average McDudeBro to cold-blooded killer.

Which does sum up Far Cry 3 pretty well in some ways.

See:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/far-cry-4-story-interview/#more-216787



Jarhead0331

#1
Quote from: MengJiao on November 04, 2014, 01:02:24 PM
I'm playing Far Cry 3, now that Far Cry 4 seems like it will be fun.  I wanted to play Far cry 3 before 4.

Far Cry 3 is pretty good.  I liked Far Cry (2004) and skipped Far Cry 2.  The "story" in Far Cry 3 is strangely annoying
and RPS has done a great job of elucidating how that happened.  But the best summation of Far Cry 3 in RPS
is from an interview with the writer for Far Cry 4.  There RPS says:


Far Cry 3 sort of charted its main character's progression from Average McDudeBro to cold-blooded killer.

Which does sum up Far Cry 3 pretty well in some ways.

See:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/far-cry-4-story-interview/#more-216787

They lost me at "Team Diversity". This crap is getting old.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 01:40:52 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 04, 2014, 01:02:24 PM
I'm playing Far Cry 3, now that Far Cry 4 seems like it will be fun.  I wanted to play Far cry 3 before 4.

Far Cry 3 is pretty good.  I liked Far Cry (2004) and skipped Far Cry 2.  The "story" in Far Cry 3 is strangely annoying
and RPS has done a great job of elucidating how that happened.  But the best summation of Far Cry 3 in RPS
is from an interview with the writer for Far Cry 4.  There RPS says:


Far Cry 3 sort of charted its main character's progression from Average McDudeBro to cold-blooded killer.

Which does sum up Far Cry 3 pretty well in some ways.

See:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/far-cry-4-story-interview/#more-216787

The lost me at "Team Diversity". This crap is getting old.

     Well, my point was the Average McDudeBro thing.  I like the game and the total vacuity of the protagonist is kind of why Far Cry 3 managed to balance the annoyance of the "story" with the slow filling in of its protagonist.

     Weirdly enough, the writer for FC 4 claims that the boss badguy in FC4 is essentially the Dude-gone-wrong of FC3 (which he didn't write).

     Some of the commentary (which is pretty amusing) pointed out that -- that being the case -- why couldn't the players just be the badguy?
     During his progress from Average Chinese McDudeBro to Pagan Min (the minimal Pagan?)?

     Its not human diversity that seems to take a beating in these games, its more the diversity of imagination and sophistication that seems to get pounded to a tiny bit of pulp.  I know that's the essence of Pop Culture, but still, its nice to have RPS dig into how that happens.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on November 04, 2014, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 01:40:52 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 04, 2014, 01:02:24 PM
I'm playing Far Cry 3, now that Far Cry 4 seems like it will be fun.  I wanted to play Far cry 3 before 4.

Far Cry 3 is pretty good.  I liked Far Cry (2004) and skipped Far Cry 2.  The "story" in Far Cry 3 is strangely annoying
and RPS has done a great job of elucidating how that happened.  But the best summation of Far Cry 3 in RPS
is from an interview with the writer for Far Cry 4.  There RPS says:


Far Cry 3 sort of charted its main character's progression from Average McDudeBro to cold-blooded killer.

Which does sum up Far Cry 3 pretty well in some ways.

See:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/far-cry-4-story-interview/#more-216787

The lost me at "Team Diversity". This crap is getting old.

     Well, my point was the Average McDudeBro thing.  I like the game and the total vacuity of the protagonist is kind of why Far Cry 3 managed to balance the annoyance of the "story" with the slow filling in of its protagonist.

     Weirdly enough, the writer for FC 4 claims that the boss badguy in FC4 is essentially the Dude-gone-wrong of FC3 (which he didn't write).

     Some of the commentary (which is pretty amusing) pointed out that -- that being the case -- why couldn't the players just be the badguy?
     During his progress from Average Chinese McDudeBro to Pagan Min (the minimal Pagan?)?

     Its not human diversity that seems to take a beating in these games, its more the diversity of imagination and sophistication that seems to get pounded to a tiny bit of pulp.  I know that's the essence of Pop Culture, but still, its nice to have RPS dig into how that happens.

Way too deep for a first person shooter. just let me play, let me blow stuff up, and I'll save the social commentary for facebook. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 02:06:51 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 04, 2014, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 01:40:52 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 04, 2014, 01:02:24 PM
I'm playing Far Cry 3, now that Far Cry 4 seems like it will be fun.  I wanted to play Far cry 3 before 4.

Far Cry 3 is pretty good.  I liked Far Cry (2004) and skipped Far Cry 2.  The "story" in Far Cry 3 is strangely annoying
and RPS has done a great job of elucidating how that happened.  But the best summation of Far Cry 3 in RPS
is from an interview with the writer for Far Cry 4.  There RPS says:


Far Cry 3 sort of charted its main character's progression from Average McDudeBro to cold-blooded killer.

Which does sum up Far Cry 3 pretty well in some ways.

See:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/far-cry-4-story-interview/#more-216787

The lost me at "Team Diversity". This crap is getting old.

     Well, my point was the Average McDudeBro thing.  I like the game and the total vacuity of the protagonist is kind of why Far Cry 3 managed to balance the annoyance of the "story" with the slow filling in of its protagonist.

     Weirdly enough, the writer for FC 4 claims that the boss badguy in FC4 is essentially the Dude-gone-wrong of FC3 (which he didn't write).

     Some of the commentary (which is pretty amusing) pointed out that -- that being the case -- why couldn't the players just be the badguy?
     During his progress from Average Chinese McDudeBro to Pagan Min (the minimal Pagan?)?

     Its not human diversity that seems to take a beating in these games, its more the diversity of imagination and sophistication that seems to get pounded to a tiny bit of pulp.  I know that's the essence of Pop Culture, but still, its nice to have RPS dig into how that happens.

Way too deep for a first person shooter. just let me play, let me blow stuff up, and I'll save the social commentary for facebook.

  Is it really a question of depth?  Note that the bad writing for FC3 claimed some self-cancelling depth (which could not be seen as depth)
while the writer for FC4  (replacing the writer for FC3) says the want to keep the writing/scripting/story "on the surface"....ie depth and surface are the same, ie there is already no depth.  Things are already as shallow as they can get.  In fact, no amount of seeing depth seems to see any depth.  The FPs is already an FPS.  You can already play and blow stuff up.  The Average McDudeBro is already there without any depth.

Jarhead0331

What I mean is, too much analysis for an FPS. I don't mean too deep with respect to game play. I like depth in my game play, but I have very little interest in a psycho-analysis of the characters. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

^ Especially of a frat boy turned Special Forces weapons expert. I can suspend disbelief, but that bit there is what's shied me away from FC 3.

Also, 'diversity' annoys me as a word. I know George Carlin would get mad and say, "It's just a WORD for chrissakes," but it's one that the PC crowd has turned into meaning something that it totally does not mean. It sets my teeth to grinding whenever I see it, regardless of context.

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 02:34:25 PM
What I mean is, too much analysis for an FPS. I don't mean too deep with respect to game play. I like depth in my game play, but I have very little interest in a psycho-analysis of the characters.

  I hadn't thought of that.  Is there a psycho-analysis scene coming up in Far Cry 3?  My next mission is the house of the Mushrooms in the Depths Doctor.  I had a bad feeling about that.  I've just been climbing the radio towers and avoiding the "story."  I'll have to check a walk-through and see if I can skip the Doctor with his mushrooms in the depths.

MengJiao

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 02:41:00 PM
^ Especially of a frat boy turned Special Forces weapons expert. I can suspend disbelief, but that bit there is what's shied me away from FC 3.

Also, 'diversity' annoys me as a word. I know George Carlin would get mad and say, "It's just a WORD for chrissakes," but it's one that the PC crowd has turned into meaning something that it totally does not mean. It sets my teeth to grinding whenever I see it, regardless of context.

  I checked on that.  The RPS interviewer doesn't use it.  It comes up when the writer for FC4 says his team is "diverse"...I agree the term is a buzzword for total nonsense and the Ubisoft PR man intervenes to enforce silence on the Writer to keep it that way.  Kind of a weird cultural moment for which I think RPS needs some positive credit.

Arctic Blast

I dug FC3 until reaching a stupid stealth mission...I DESPISE stealth missions and have no patience for them. But it was an entertaining game. The gameplay was quite good, and I was amused by the 'spoof of other shooters' story that seemed intentionally ridiculous.

MengJiao

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 04, 2014, 03:31:34 PM
I dug FC3 until reaching a stupid stealth mission...I DESPISE stealth missions and have no patience for them. But it was an entertaining game. The gameplay was quite good, and I was amused by the 'spoof of other shooters' story that seemed intentionally ridiculous.

   I haven't gotten very far into the game.  I'm playing on the easiest setting.  I wasn't all that thrilled with it until I took my first solo drive (trying to get to the Deep Mushroom Doctor's House).  Two jeeploads of red shirts in red jeeps chased me shooting at me and howling for my blood and I crashed into a murkyily "flashing" medical thing trying to escape.  that is as I was trying to escape.  I got out of my car and mowed the howling redshirts down as they drove up.  After that, I like the game a lot.  Especially since driving the meds cart and failing to reach the patient in 32 seconds got me out of the mission cycle.  It was like the very absurdity of the mission system was secretly helping me.  I woke up in my safehouse (after sampling my cart of meds I guess) and tried to buy more ammo out of the automat -- but I needed a boarskin bag.  One thing led to another and soon I was shutting off the radio tower jammers on my own personal giant stealth mission.  I wasn't all that stealthy -- apparently the red shirts don't shoot at hang gliders or boats.  On "meta" level (as RPS would say for some reason), I was getting as much game out of FC3 as I could before FC4 grabbed my attention.  So all is well so far.  I'm just not going to the mushroom doctor if I can avoid it.

Huw the Poo

When Gamergate first kicked off, the Far Cry 4 devs were the first to threaten us all with deliberately "inclusive" gameplay.  Just thought I'd add that.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MengJiao

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 04, 2014, 04:34:10 PM
When Gamergate first kicked off, the Far Cry 4 devs were the first to threaten us all with deliberately "inclusive" gameplay.  Just thought I'd add that.

  Far Cry 4 includes elephants!  And Mortars!  So you can see why I have to get my Far Cry 3 playing done soon!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MengJiao on November 05, 2014, 09:34:33 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 04, 2014, 04:34:10 PM
When Gamergate first kicked off, the Far Cry 4 devs were the first to threaten us all with deliberately "inclusive" gameplay.  Just thought I'd add that.

  Far Cry 4 includes elephants!  And Mortars!  So you can see why I have to get my Far Cry 3 playing done soon!

It looks like they've taken the open world of FC3 and mixed it with a better-implemented version of FC2's faction system. That makes for a game with massive potential.