GOG to start selling LucasArts games

Started by Huw the Poo, October 28, 2014, 02:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:34:22 AM
Empire at War was pretty much Age of Empires in a Star Wars wrapper.


You sure you're not thinking of Galactic Battleground? That series was pretty much a direct clone (see what I did there?) of the Age of Empires games. Empire at War was somewhat unique in that it had a turn based strategic layer and space fleet combat in addition to the traditional RTS game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:46:08 AM
Quote from: Martok on November 04, 2014, 07:42:55 AM
Hey, at least EaW possesses a halfway-decent combat system and a UI that doesn't feel like it's actively trying to thwart me (even if it is a much shallower game).  Sorry, but this is one instance in which I will cheerfully choose "shallow/pretty" in the name of getting to the fun quickly and easily; Rebellion was simply too frustrating to figure out for me to enjoy. 

Oh, I completely agree with you; don't get me wrong. Like I said, I played through Rebellion one time and was done with it. If it comes out on GOG I'll buy it again (eventually, probably months down the road), play through it one time, and be done with it again.

When I played Rebellion, I was without children and had a LOT of free time on my hands. Today, if I had a choice between Rebellion and EaW, it would be EaW, hands down, 90% of the time. Rebellion, you'd have to pick at slowly over a long period of time.

I wonder what the mod community might have done with Rebellion, and if GOG releases it if it will incorporate any of that.
Gah!  I was actually responding to Jarhead's post above yours (although I mostly concur with what you're saying).  :P 




Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 08:00:59 AM
Empire at War was somewhat unique in that it had a turn based strategic layer and space fleet combat in addition to the traditional RTS game.
I wish!  :buck2: 

Although admittedly, the game generally moves slowly enough on the strategic map that it isn't too big a deal. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 08:00:59 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 04, 2014, 07:34:22 AM
Empire at War was pretty much Age of Empires in a Star Wars wrapper.


You sure you're not thinking of Galactic Battleground? That series was pretty much a direct clone (see what I did there?) of the Age of Empires games. Empire at War was somewhat unique in that it had a turn based strategic layer and space fleet combat in addition to the traditional RTS game.

Hmm...perhaps I did think of that. Still, EaW reminds of me Age of Empires. Galactic Battleground wasn't as fun, IMO.

Ian C

#78
Empire At War & Forces of Corruption plus the Xerox mod is one of the most fun Star wars games I've played. The ability to create skirmish maps vs the AI with the map editor is one of the better features and also that with a reasonably average graphics card, you can up everything on the settings to full.

Nefaro

Meh.

While Empire At War had an initial Ooo-Aww factor at the time, it quickly wore off once I started playing.  I also have it on Steam and never play it.  On the other hand, I probably put 60 to 80 hours into one Rebellion campaign as the Empire, alone, as Banzai Cat mentioned.  Actually finished it at least once and continued on.  Also played it on a LAN against a buddy back when it came out.  That was fun too, but took awhile.

SW Rebellion was pretty much a Total War style multi-layer grand strategy game that was around almost two years before Shogun TW was released.  The most notable exception being that the campaign layer was also in real-time.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2014, 08:24:48 AM
Quote from: tgb on October 28, 2014, 07:35:08 AM
Quote from: Anguille on October 28, 2014, 03:59:35 AM

Also hope for Rebellion (the 4x game)...

I would sell my sister to Al Quaeda for a copy of Rebellion that ran in Win 8 /8.1

I run Rebellion in Win 8.1 just fine.

When you say it runs, did you have to make any tweaks or load some kind of mods, or did it work straight from the original install?

Jarhead0331

^I'm pretty sure I had to tweak it a bit, but if I figured it out, anyone surely can. I do not recall it being complicated.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 04, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
^I'm pretty sure I had to tweak it a bit, but if I figured it out, anyone surely can. I do not recall it being complicated.

Great...thanks

endfire79

for those playing TIE Fighter from GoG now, does it still allow you to play with a mouse?  Threw out my spare Logitech Wingman long time ago
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: endfire79 on November 04, 2014, 09:23:55 PM
for those playing TIE Fighter from GoG now, does it still allow you to play with a mouse?  Threw out my spare Logitech Wingman long time ago

The 1998 collector's edition requires a joystick.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

I threw out my joystick a couple of years ago as it was old and unreliable. If I get these ten dollar games I'm going to have to splurge for a $30 USB joystick with a decent review. Christmas is coming I suppose...lol.

Boggit

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 28, 2014, 05:19:24 AM
Here's hoping Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe is one of the releases. The graphics might be horrible now but it had a great campaign. Two of them, AAMOF.
+1 on that! I've got it - but on 5.25" disks, so not much good to me now. Their Battle of Britain, and the Pacific War games were also a lot of fun back in the day.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Quote from: Boggit on November 05, 2014, 06:10:07 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 28, 2014, 05:19:24 AM
Here's hoping Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe is one of the releases. The graphics might be horrible now but it had a great campaign. Two of them, AAMOF.
+1 on that! I've got it - but on 5.25" disks, so not much good to me now. Their Battle of Britain, and the Pacific War games were also a lot of fun back in the day.

I had gotten the Air combat Classics collection when it first came out on 3.5 floppies. It had Battlehawks, Their finest Hour, and SWOTL. A few years ago I picked up the CD-ROM version of SWOTL because the floppies were getting fried but that version has no sound when I play. I'm hoping that the GOG's magic wrappers can get me back to listening to those haunting 8-bit tones while taking my Pixel-Wulf into battle against the endless hordes of Amerikaner Bitmap-Seventeens.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

#88
...Round 2 of Lucasfilm games released on GOG.com...and more to come.

Quote
Today, with great pride and joy, we're excited to announce Wave II of Lucasfilm games on GOG.com! Starting right now, six new Star Wars™ classics are available in our DRM-free Lucasfilm/Disney catalog. This includes three amazing titles available, for the first time in digital distribution, exclusively on GOG.com:

Star Wars™: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
Star Wars™: X-Wing Alliance™
Star Wars™ Galactic Battlegrounds Saga

We're also celebrating the DRM-free release of these Star Wars™ games with a 72-hour 20% launch discount:

Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II
Star Wars™: Dark Forces
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™

Just in case you missed your chance last time, you can grab three more Lucasfilm classics for the same 20% discount, until Friday, January 30, at 1:59 PM GMT!

Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition

Our Lucasfilm/Disney is made that much more impressive today thanks to our team-up with ©Disney Interactive. The 6 new Star Wars™ releases, which include 3 digital premieres exclusively on GOG.com, are barely the beginning. We're not saying more right now, but we know the wait will be worth it for six great reasons - keep watching the front page and stay tuned for more exciting Lucasfilm titles releasing on GOG.com when the timer strikes zero!

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

RedArgo

I played the Tie Fighter and X-Wing games and loved those originally, but I never played Tie Fighter vs X-Wing or X-Wing Alliance, what's the difference between those and, if I was to get one, would it be better to get these or go back to the originals?