Red Thunder v1.01 patch (PC/Mac) Released

Started by Boggit, November 13, 2014, 01:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 14, 2014, 09:20:15 AM
By playing with the webroot options, I see it is the Realtime Shield that causes the error. I can leave firewall and web shield protection on. Not sure how risky it is to turn off the Realtime Shield.

It's probably not a major risk if you disable the real time protection if you're just playing the game. Just make sure you re-enable it before you start surfing the web, reading emails, etc.

You definitely do not want to disable your firewall ever. At least not while the machine is connected to the internet.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tuna

If you have a Router in your house than your machine is behind a Hardware Firewall.. e.g. no one can get at your machine from the outside, because your IP address is unreachable to them.

However, it does not protect you from malicious software, like sometimes you have a malicious program that will make contact from your machine to the outside (then the Firewall is compromised). That is why AV  suites and Windows has Software Firewalls, so that it will 'alert' if any program tries to establish a connection to the outside without your knowledge.

RyanE

Search long enough in the BFC forum and you'll see that the DRM has had issues with almost all popular AVs.  I use Windows Essetials and Defender and made an exception for all BFC directories.  You shouldn't have to do this, but it seems the only way to make sure you can play the game without shutting protection off.

Its very odd that it happens with some of their products and not others.  I also agree it is BS to blame the AV companies.  When your DRM is having issues with a half dozen or so of the most popular AVs out there, including Windows, you might have a problem with the DRM.  I have no other games that have ever set off my AV...Matrix to Steam.  Even Storm Eagle Studios games didn't do it.

Elvis

I think t's BS not to make anti-virus software responsible for false positives.

Just Google false positives for Norton (or pretty much any AV software) and you'll get lots and lots of results. The DRM that BFC uses is not made in house. They are not the only ones using it. Love it, hate it, indifferent to it, Battlefront is far and away not the only software company that experiences this. And it isn't limited to the company that they use. Someone mentioned Steam. This is from their website:

QuoteAntivirus software reports Steam games are malicious
My antivirus or firewall software reports my new Steam purchases contains a trojan or potentially dangerous program - what is happening?
Important:
We encourage protecting your PC from viruses, spyware and other forms of malicious software. However, it is not necessary to run anti-virus and other security applications while you are engaged in playing a game on Steam.
Anti-virus applications often interfere with Steam and can cause a range of problems from connection issues to games not launching correctly. Please set your anti-virus to Game Mode or disable it before launching Steam if you are experiencing issues with your Steam games.
The Steam application or Steam game has been mistakenly identified as a virus or "trojan" by certain software as a result of the development of potentially-malicious programs which use the same filenames as valid Steam files (this is a very common practice amongst malicious software writers - many viruses already masquerade as valid operating system files).
We are working with the antivirus and firewall software vendors to ensure fewer false positives involving Steam appear in the future.
In the meantime, please review the symptoms below to determine whether or not this issue is impacting your system:
McAfee AntiVirus
McAfee AntiVirus incorrectly identifies some third party game files as malicious and will quarantine the files during the download process. This often results in the message "This game is currently unavailable" when trying to launch the game.
Unfortunately, most editions of McAfee AntiVirus have no way to exclude files from real-time scans, so the only work-around is to disable real-time scans. To do this, open McAfee and select "Virus and Spyware Protection", then select the "Real-Time Scanning" option and click the button labelled "Turn Off".
Once Real-time scanning is disabled, you can restore your game files by following the instructions to Verify Game Cache Files.
Real-time scanning can be re-enabled once you are done playing, but unfortunately this will re-quarantine the game files, requiring this process to be repeated.
ESET NOD32
NOD32 incorrectly identifies some third party game files as malicious and will quarantine the files during the download process.  This often results in the  message "This game is currently unavailable" when trying to launch the game.
Add your game folder to NOD32 exclusions.  The default folder location for third party games is C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common.  Follow the link for further instructions: How do I exclude certain files or folders from real-time scanning?
Once your folder has been added, you need to verify your GCF cache files in order for the files to re-download.  Please see the Verifying GCF Cache Files article for instructions.
Norton Firewall
When using the "Friends" feature, some Norton Firewall users have reported that their firewall software reports that Steam may be malicious software attempting to access their system. This is a false positive.
Occasionally the Friends server sends your computer a message asking if you're still online - if you closed Steam (especially if you killed it from the task manager), this message can be intercepted by the Norton firewall.
Since Friends sometimes uses the same port number as a known trojan horse virus, the firewall incorrectly identifies the message as being malicious - despite the fact that the traffic does not mimic a trojan in any other respect.
Kaspersky AV or Internet Security
Kaspersky AV may prevent the in-game overlay from functioning in some or all games. This may occur silently, or Kaspersky may warn you that Steam is acting as an Invader application trying to load itself in another process.
Workaround:
In your Kaspersky settings go the Threads and exclusions, Trusted Zone, and add Steam.exe as a trusted application. Make sure you check the settings to Do not restrict application activity as well as Do not scan opened files for full compatibility.
Kaspersky 7.0 users must enable the Compatibility Mode for Programs Using Self-Protection Methods option, also disable the option for Application Integrity Control.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4361-MVDP-3638

Am I saying that I love the system used or it's the cat's pajamas? No. Just saying that they aren't alone.

Tuna

One of the worst DRM of the games 'I' own.. really don't struggle with anything else except DCS, but 'they' have a Steam option..

JudgeDredd

#35
Elvis...forgetting individual companies here and forgetting specific DRM implementations and also leaving out AV false positives...


  • It's absolutely wrong that any paying customer of any company has to jump through certain hoops to get what they bought to work
  • It's absolutely ridiculous that a common response to issues from companies implementing DRM is "Turn off your anti virus"
and most of all
  • It's incredulous that a company can think it's ok that either of those options are "ok"

As a paying customer, I couldn't care less whether it's the AV engine at fault or the company's DRM....I bought the product and I want it to work. I should not have to put my machine in a vulnerable state to get that software to work. Nor should I jump through any other hoops to get that software to work....I bought it, it should work. I understand given the vast mix of configurations of PC's that there may be issues...but I'm speaking of DRM specific issues here.

And most definitely I should not be told by the company that "I should contact my AV supplier"...only for that AV supplier to have the perfectly reasonable response of "Contact the vendor of your software".

It's the company's DRM and it's down to THEM to sort that out...not me to be batted between both of you.

If you are causing your customers aggro with your DRM implementation, then you should be doing everything you can to minimise (and with the goal of eliminating) that inconvenience.

Again, I use "you" and "them" as generalisations...I'm not in any way aiming this purely at BF (though in this thread it is about BF)


Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on November 14, 2014, 09:52:21 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 14, 2014, 01:25:20 AM

Mate - Norton has been giving falsies for years. It's bloody good at keeping things out - because it keeps everything out.

You seriously need to get shot of it. It's malware all on it's own.

I've had Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, disabled UAC on Windows (pita) and the free edition of Malwarebytes for several years now and I have not had one single virus. I have had a couple of low level malware instances...but several years and nothing drastic - and I've not had to pay for any 3rd party software OR use that nonsense Norton.

I'm not just spit balling here...Norton caused me no end of problems when I did have it (got it free with a PC years ago) and removed it - and that in itself was a task!!

Every time I see someone mention their problems with games or patches and they've got Norton - I just gotta rant.

Sorry  ;)



I've also been recommending people ditch Norton for years, but only a small portion of them listen. 

I think many are motivated to continue using it just because they paid for it, even though there are better Free AVs out there that work as well or better without so much hassle.

I'll have to disagree....I have used Norton forever and never had any major problems running any game, including battlefront.  Never have had a security or virus issue either.  Therefore, no reason for me to change if it works for me.  Everyone seems to have different experiences with security software, not one of them are perfect, whether free or paid.  I have seen plenty of times when other virus software causes issues with games as well.

Just comes down to personal taste...


Tuna

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2014, 06:57:43 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 14, 2014, 09:52:21 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 14, 2014, 01:25:20 AM

Mate - Norton has been giving falsies for years. It's bloody good at keeping things out - because it keeps everything out.

You seriously need to get shot of it. It's malware all on it's own.

I've had Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, disabled UAC on Windows (pita) and the free edition of Malwarebytes for several years now and I have not had one single virus. I have had a couple of low level malware instances...but several years and nothing drastic - and I've not had to pay for any 3rd party software OR use that nonsense Norton.

I'm not just spit balling here...Norton caused me no end of problems when I did have it (got it free with a PC years ago) and removed it - and that in itself was a task!!

Every time I see someone mention their problems with games or patches and they've got Norton - I just gotta rant.

Sorry  ;)



I've also been recommending people ditch Norton for years, but only a small portion of them listen. 

I think many are motivated to continue using it just because they paid for it, even though there are better Free AVs out there that work as well or better without so much hassle.

I'll have to disagree....I have used Norton forever and never had any major problems running any game, including battlefront.  Never have had a security or virus issue either.  Therefore, no reason for me to change if it works for me.  Everyone seems to have different experiences with security software, not one of them are perfect, whether free or paid.  I have seen plenty of times when other virus software causes issues with games as well.

Just comes down to personal taste...

I too have never had any problems with Norton.. btw, I am not running it on my gaming PC though.. That one is just Microsoft Security Essentials.. that's the one the Combat Mission runs on.. I don't get AV issues with the lovely DRM.. I just get the hardware change issues!!!  >:(

Con

Aaaaaand a Battlefront mission derailed into DRM in one...two...three....seems about par for the course

That being said I have Norton 360 and having learned that it treats most patches (for some weird reason not all of them) from Battlefront as Heuristic viruses its easy enough to go into Norton (from the toolbar) select the quarantined download and manually select trust it and et. voila run the patch.

A bit onerous learning this but very simple implementing it with no associated problems of temp shutting firewalls etc.

Con

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Con on November 14, 2014, 07:51:46 PM
Aaaaaand a Battlefront mission derailed into DRM in one...two...three....seems about par for the course
If it's a problem, it'll raise it's head.

And it did.  :P
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mirth

DRM bullshit = Fail

For a niche game publisher, I find it very difficult  to believe that Battlefront's chosen DRM system has done more good than harm to it's bottom line.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Ubercat

Quote from: Con on November 14, 2014, 07:51:46 PM
Aaaaaand a Battlefront mission derailed into DRM in one...two...three....seems about par for the course

I wonder why that always happens?  ???

QuoteThat being said I have Norton 360 and having learned that it treats most patches (for some weird reason not all of them) from Battlefront as Heuristic viruses its easy enough to go into Norton (from the toolbar) select the quarantined download and manually select trust it and et. voila run the patch.

A bit onerous learning this but very simple implementing it with no associated problems of temp shutting firewalls etc.

Con

I, too, have Norton and also have to add CM2 stuff to the "leave alone" list. It was a major PitA to have to figure that out in the first place but now it's just what I expect from BF's software.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Elvis

Judge, let me put it this way. And like you have, I am not speaking about BFC specifically either, if you have an anti piracy software attached to your game, or whatever software, that is designed for a computer and an end user has installed 3rd party software that doesn't play nice with it, doesn't that 3rd party software need to be responsible?  I'm not saying that people shouldn't have AV software on their systems but there are so many with so many configurations that move the computer away from it's default that I don't understand how the program moving the computer from it's default setup should not be the party that figures out why the purchased products are not working as they should.

I will use BFC as an example.  I use AVG. Never had a problem.  Everything hunky dory. A few months ago they changed something and most of my modules were put in quarantine. Giving them exceptions took under 5 minutes for everything. But is that Battlefront's fault or AVG?  AVG changed things,  not BFC.  Who should tell me how to get my previously fine working software running again properly? The people for whom it was working fine before or the people who changed something causing my previously fine working software to have a problem?  If the software runs fine without the 3rd party software then who should tell you how to run it when the 3rd party software prevents it from running properly?

(Poorly structured sentences typed with big dopey thumbs on my dead sexy phone. But I don't feel like retyping and hope that I made some sense :) )

Tuna

AV software in general looks for suspicious activity.. like trying to access your hardware and such. If your DRM is acting suspicious, then it is your DRM's fault, not the AV (3rd Party)..

Software should be an entity to itself. In other words.. should not give a crap or dig into what 'else' is going on with your computer. Especially Hardware.. when I change my hardware it is none of BF's or DCS's business!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on November 14, 2014, 10:10:05 PM
AV software in general looks for suspicious activity.. like trying to access your hardware and such. If your DRM is acting suspicious, then it is your DRM's fault, not the AV (3rd Party)..

Software should be an entity to itself. In other words.. should not give a crap or dig into what 'else' is going on with your computer. Especially Hardware.. when I change my hardware it is none of BF's or DCS's business!

Just to play devil's advocate in this case......has it been 100% proven the DRM logic in this case is the specific code causing the alarms to trip?  This is just a patch, are we sure it even has the dreaded DRM in it (I could be wrong, but I don't believe activations get used in patches)?  Others haven even mentioned in this thread that other games cause the same issues with AV, which do not have this type of DRM included so the DRM is not the only reason AV chokes on some games.  Using Norton as example, part of its check is the "trust" of the file based on how popular and used the files is across the world.  If it gets a low trust score, it can trip the alarms and has nothing to do with the DRM.

Again, I am not a huge fan of the DRM myself, but it seems every issue that comes up, somehow the DRM must always be at fault:)  And maybe it is in this case as well, but not sure that has been proven to be true without a shadow of doubt.