Main Menu

Matrix Holiday Sale

Started by Rayfer, November 25, 2014, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

Does it say that on the box?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Rise of Flight looks like they're having a big sale until Dec 2nd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 26, 2014, 12:34:01 PM
War Plan Orange is a little less complex than either version of War In The Pacific, but it's still just as time consuming.  :smitten:

However, it's necessarily missing any improvements introduced in the Admiral's Edition (and subsequent patching) for WitP.

Thanks for info....even though cheap, going to stay away from it for now....

Staggerwing

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 09:30:53 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 26, 2014, 09:22:52 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 07:55:56 AM
Now back to the purpose of the thread:)

Just curious, did anyone ever pickup the naval game War Plan Orange?  If I am not mistaken, it was a lighter version of WITP....never could wrap my head around WITP, so wondering if possible with this game...pretty reasonable price at $9.

It's not lighter, it just simulates the 1930s.  I don't remember it as being much fun, but then my idea of fun is WITPAE PBEM forever.

Ok thanks....some reason I had thought it was less complex and time consuming...but sounds like I was wrong...appreciate the info.

IIRC, Uncommon Valor would be a better 'lite' version of WITP.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 26, 2014, 07:32:37 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 09:30:53 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 26, 2014, 09:22:52 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 07:55:56 AM
Now back to the purpose of the thread:)

Just curious, did anyone ever pickup the naval game War Plan Orange?  If I am not mistaken, it was a lighter version of WITP....never could wrap my head around WITP, so wondering if possible with this game...pretty reasonable price at $9.

It's not lighter, it just simulates the 1930s.  I don't remember it as being much fun, but then my idea of fun is WITPAE PBEM forever.

Ok thanks....some reason I had thought it was less complex and time consuming...but sounds like I was wrong...appreciate the info.

IIRC, Uncommon Valor would be a better 'lite' version of WITP.

I highly recommend UV for beginners. It has all the tactical elements of WITP without bogging the player down  with more strategic concerns. Downside is the graphics resolution.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on November 26, 2014, 07:45:12 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 26, 2014, 07:32:37 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 09:30:53 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 26, 2014, 09:22:52 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 07:55:56 AM
Now back to the purpose of the thread:)

Just curious, did anyone ever pickup the naval game War Plan Orange?  If I am not mistaken, it was a lighter version of WITP....never could wrap my head around WITP, so wondering if possible with this game...pretty reasonable price at $9.

It's not lighter, it just simulates the 1930s.  I don't remember it as being much fun, but then my idea of fun is WITPAE PBEM forever.

Ok thanks....some reason I had thought it was less complex and time consuming...but sounds like I was wrong...appreciate the info.

IIRC, Uncommon Valor would be a better 'lite' version of WITP.

I highly recommend UV for beginners. It has all the tactical elements of WITP without bogging the player down  with more strategic concerns. Downside is the graphics resolution.
+1
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the info on uv.....didn't see it in their sales flyer, but I looked in the store and it is also on sale for $9...will have to consider it.

Nefaro

My old disk copy of UV ran sluggishly even on modern computers.  Clicking the UI buttons, moving the map, etc was a bit frustrating but doable.  WitP doesn't have quite the same delayed UI response that it does.

Dunno if that's an issue with the digital version or not.

bbmike

How does Uncommon Valor compare to Carriers at War?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: bbmike on November 27, 2014, 08:47:15 AM
How does Uncommon Valor compare to Carriers at War?

More detailed.  It has ground combat and logistics.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on November 27, 2014, 08:47:15 AM
How does Uncommon Valor compare to Carriers at War?
No comparison. Two totally different games and styles. UV is WitP in a smaller scale with smaller scenarios.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bbmike

Uncommon Valor seems to be unbearably laggy for me under Windows 8.1. If I try to run it in windowed mode it just freezes up on me.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

UV is an older game, at least 10 years or more so Win8 may not play nice with it. Are there any Win 95/98/xp compatibility options you have tried yet?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TacticalWargames

Flashpoint Campaigns is the game I'd recommend to anyone as I'd know I hadn't gone and wasted the gamers money as they will love it. I daren't recommend any others on there as I know they are marmite type games..people love em or hate em..but FCRS gets all love.


I too was thinking about COH Storm of Steel..but I know deep down I'd probably hardly play it as COH barely gets touched. However more units might raise the bar abit more with the game.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 07:08:20 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 26, 2014, 01:20:49 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 25, 2014, 06:37:23 PM
Nothing of any great interest for me that I don't already own.....looks like I should have waited until this year for world in flames, although not sure even worth the sale price.
Mate - it's still broke. Apparently switching some things off helps, but IIRC the things to switch off are pretty core to the game...i.e. part of the fun - supply being one. From what I gather (and I could be wrong) supply still isn't working.

I figured...maybe one day it will realize it's potential but as I said in the past, I have already written it off as my my worst personal mistaken in buying a game.

I toyed with buying this at Historicon.  But no AI, and no multi-player.  I decided to go with a copy of the WiF boardgame (got very lucky and found an unpunched copy of the Final Edition on Amazon of all places for $100) and the vassal module. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.