"Nobody buys Cowboys any more!"

Started by Father Ted, December 04, 2014, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TacticalWargames

The "Wild West" is greatly overlooked as far as gaming goes. A shame really as I think it would be a fantastic setting for an indepth role playing game.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Bit of serendipity I supposed.  Fistful of Frags just popped up in my Steam queue.  It's a multiplayer FPS set in the West using the Source code.  Apparently it was once a free HL2 mod but is now its own stand-alone game.  Not really my thing but it seems like it's what you were describing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265630/


RooksBailey

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 06, 2014, 03:24:46 PM
Bit of serendipity I supposed.  Fistful of Frags just popped up in my Steam queue.  It's a multiplayer FPS set in the West using the Source code.  Apparently it was once a free HL2 mod but is now its own stand-alone game.  Not really my thing but it seems like it's what you were describing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265630/

That game has the right idea!  I hope it catches on.  I really enjoy CSGO from time to time.  This game makes me think that a Western-themed Counterstrike probably would make for a lot of fun!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 06, 2014, 03:24:46 PM
Bit of serendipity I supposed.  Fistful of Frags just popped up in my Steam queue.  It's a multiplayer FPS set in the West using the Source code.  Apparently it was once a free HL2 mod but is now its own stand-alone game.  Not really my thing but it seems like it's what you were describing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265630/


Bardolph posted a link to it in Reply #41, in this thread.

:P

Yskonyn

Did nobody play Desperados?
A western game in the vain of the excellent Commando's games.


-oOo-
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Father Ted

Checked out Bardolph's link and downloaded the game - it is pretty much what I was after, though I had in mind a slower-paced gameplay and more naturalistic maps

FrontierCybrarian

I've played all the Call of Juarez games except the non-western drug cartel one. They were all very good.

Another good title and available on Steam is "GUN." Maybe someone already mentioned it. It does take some getting used to the horse riding and going through the first course. I bought it on sale but now it's back to $19.99...still worth it to me.

Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on December 06, 2014, 10:12:26 PM
I've played all the Call of Juarez games except the non-western drug cartel one. They were all very good.

Another good title and available on Steam is "GUN." Maybe someone already mentioned it. It does take some getting used to the horse riding and going through the first course. I bought it on sale but now it's back to $19.99...still worth it to me.

I remember playing GUN when it first came out, thought it was very good for its time....wonder if it still works with the modern systems, although even $20 seems a bit high for an old game 8-9 years old.

Arctic Blast

I backed Hard West on Kickstarter earlier this year. Same guys who worked on Call of Juarez, tactical style game that looks a little X-Com ish. Okay, it's Weird West, so there will be monsters and other weird things, but it's still going to be a damn tactical western game!  ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/11/hard-west-kickstarter/

Steelgrave

Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 07, 2014, 08:54:56 PM
I backed Hard West on Kickstarter earlier this year. Same guys who worked on Call of Juarez, tactical style game that looks a little X-Com ish. Okay, it's Weird West, so there will be monsters and other weird things, but it's still going to be a damn tactical western game!  ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/11/hard-west-kickstarter/

Looks like it made its funding. Not what I had in mind, but definitely the next best thing. I'll be keeping an eye open.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 07, 2014, 08:54:56 PM
I backed Hard West on Kickstarter earlier this year. Same guys who worked on Call of Juarez, tactical style game that looks a little X-Com ish. Okay, it's Weird West, so there will be monsters and other weird things, but it's still going to be a damn tactical western game!  ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/11/hard-west-kickstarter/

I miss most of the interesting Kickstarters.   :-\

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Nefaro on December 07, 2014, 11:31:24 PM
I miss most of the interesting Kickstarters.   :-\

You know we have a column about them every other Friday, right?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bboyer66

Kind of off topic but I just bought two card games based on the Wild West.

Revolver:


Doomtown
 


Doomtown really has me intrigued with its depth.

Nefaro

I've read some good things about Doomtown.

bbmike

There was an article not too long ago about how westerns at the movies were also slim pickens (get it?) these days. Shame really, I love westerns. I bought Desperados on sale at GoG but haven't played it yet.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak