Deadnaut - a new Sci-Fi "Roguelike-like"

Started by Tpek, December 10, 2014, 06:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337040/

It looks like a new interesting game by the makers of Zafehouse Diaries.
Instead of Zombies this time it is set in a Space-Hulk-ish kind of a theme, where your crew must investigate derelict ships.

I've only tried the demo so far, and it seems pretty challenging.

Huw the Poo

No Tux, no bux.  Shame because I'd have been all over this; Zafehouse Diaries was really good.

BanzaiCat

Zafehouse was creepy insofar as adding pictures of people you know. I liked that mechanic, though.

bbmike

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 10, 2014, 08:29:31 AM
Zafehouse was creepy insofar as adding pictures of people you know.

:o How exactly did it do that?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 10, 2014, 08:06:19 AM
No Tux, no bux.  Shame because I'd have been all over this; Zafehouse Diaries was really good.

Do you mean Linux support? (Isn't Tux the mascot Penguin?)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on December 10, 2014, 09:02:08 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 10, 2014, 08:29:31 AM
Zafehouse was creepy insofar as adding pictures of people you know.

:o How exactly did it do that?

You could import your own pictures to use as portraits for the characters in the game, and could rename them as well.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on December 10, 2014, 09:32:35 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 10, 2014, 08:06:19 AM
No Tux, no bux.  Shame because I'd have been all over this; Zafehouse Diaries was really good.

Do you mean Linux support? (Isn't Tux the mascot Penguin?)

Yes, and yes.  Respectively and in that order. :)

Nefaro

An initial look made me think "yes".

But after further study, it looks pretty thin on content/variety.  I'll be sitting firmly on the fence.

tgb

The manual seems to indicate a lot more depth that first appears.  I wonder if it will translate into an enjoyable game.

spelk

Its certainly got a cargohold full of atmosphere at this early stage.

panzerde

Tossed it on the "follow" pile yesterday. It does seem interesting in concept. Waiting to see if it really has the depth. The UI seems very atmospheric but I'm wondering if it'll get old, fast.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

"Das" put up a pair of LPs on the 'Tube. 



Can probably get a good impression of it after he's done reading every piece of text on the Options screen and Intro.  Or maybe he skipped his normal habit this time.    ???

panzerde

Well, that seems pretty appealing to me so far. Think I'm going to give this one a try.


Thanks for the video, Nef.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

#13
The visuals look great, other than the place where the action happens. 

That wouldn't bother me but I've not seen very compelling action there yet.  I'm for the old-style roguelikes.  The turn-based ones with big randomized dungeons to explore (that you'll never likely complete before dying) and lots of varied loot to find & use (some of it with unknown properties).  Not seeing much of that.  :-\

Let us know what you think, if you get it.

bayonetbrant

just keep an eye out that if your thoughts on this game show up on someone else's page elsewhere that you actually gave them permission to use your thoughts, or you rein them in
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers