Recommended Video Card Upgrade for a Three Year Old Rig

Started by Gusington, December 14, 2014, 07:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

My gaming PC is getting old...not old enough to replace entirely yet but old enough to upgrade the video card. Right now I have an NVidia GTX 670...what would you guys recommend to replace it that can fit in a three year old PC with minimal hassle? I've fallen behind on current cards and appreciate any recommendations...I prefer NVidia but am open to AMD. Thanks guys.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Radeon r9 270 is what Im using now and Im very happy with it.
its also on sale right now for $150 at tiger direct and you get 3 games with it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Gusington

Do you think I would have to upgrade my power supply for that? I would consider it if it is worth it. I'm scanning Tiger Direct right now.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Gusington

I'll have to get back to you on that...have to open the case to see the sticker.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

What's wrong with your gpu?  It's still a very good card.  Frankly right now you aren't going to get very good bang for your buck.  You are really only now 2 generations behind and unless you are planning on dropping $500+ you aren't getting the newest card.  I'd wait until this spring.  New graphics cards come out in the fall/winter, so you are at the high price point right now. 

GDS_Starfury

I dont think he needs a $500 card.  with the card I recommended Im getting 70+ fps in WoT with everything cranked to maximum.  Im also playing Rome2 maxed out with no problem.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Bison

No you don't.  However you might be able to get something like a gtx 970 for $350+.  I play both of those games maxed out with a gtx 680 which is performance wise the same as Gus' card.  Unless he is have a specific issue I'm not sure why he wouldn't wait until next spring and get at least 2 generations ahead of his current card, which means he's looking at something like a gtx 780 ti, 980, or an equivalent amd card.

Gusington

No issues, I just traditionally upgrade my old rig's card after three years. I've done that for the last 10-12 years (2-3 rigs). I don't want to spend more than 200.00, max. Maybe I'll wait and just get a whole new rig this time next year...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Well you better start working on the missus now in order to prep the battlefield for next year.

GDS_Starfury

the only thing I ended up keeping was the case, and thats soon to be replaced, and my newish pc makeover cost $1500 and it'll crush the nuts of all you fokkers.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


MikeGER

#11
GUS, i am even using a GTX 570 and its still ok.

Better save the money for an upgrade of the whole rig in a year or two
with the exception: you just have gotten a fresh game you really love to death and must see it with everyting maxed out to the limit (and then your actual CPU will probably define the new limitation anyway)

wait until the Oculus Rift get a wide spread consumer product , you will need a card that can serve that then common item well (framerate) i would not buy a new card until i knew the specification needed to drive that boy         

undercovergeek

I'm with bison and mike - there's nothing you'll buy for your price that's going to make any difference

Gusington

I feel you.

-Puts wallet away-

Going to save the money for an all around upgrade.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

#14
I replaced my 660 Ti with a new GTX 970 to go along with my five year old i7-920. Really glad I did as now I can run almost everything at full AA and AF and all graphic options turned on. For example, Shogun 2: Total War where every graphic option is cranked right up with the 970 compared to some options turned down with the 660 Ti. Even with Il-2 1946, I get 60 fps with the 970 as compared to the 660 Ti dropping down to below 30 fps in heavy clouds with lower settings of AA and AF than I have set with the 970.

I know everyone that posted here says the upgrade from the 670 is not worth it, but I'm really glad I got the eVGA FTW GTX 970 for $430 CAD. The 9xx series really packs punch for the price. I also don't find my i7-920 bottle-necking the 970 as the processor is overclocked to 4 GHz. But of course for some CPU-bound games like CMx2, the new video card didn't make much of a difference.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson