Main Menu

Steam Auction

Started by Rayfer, December 14, 2014, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

OK...somebody help me with this.  Appears there's an auction on Steam where you bid with gems that you get somehow from stuff in your inventory?? Anybody doing this? Bids are already in the ten's and hundred's of thousands of gems. I'm left scratching my head.

GDS_Starfury

Im going to bid one live Gus and see what I get.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


republic

I think the top 100 win each day.  I could be wrong, but as long as your bid is within the top 100 you should win a copy of the game.  After hocking everything I have, I only had like 1500 gems.  I'm not sure how people have so many.

GDS_Starfury

kids with no jobs have gems.  the rest of us cough up the $15 for the Steam sale.  O0
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Jarhead0331

I was shocked that people would pay real money to buy those stupid achievement cards. I sell them as soon as I earn them. No amount of stupidity surprises me anymore...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 15, 2014, 03:42:10 AM
I was shocked that people would pay real money to buy those stupid achievement cards. I sell them as soon as I earn them. No amount of stupidity surprises me anymore...
How do you sell them? I have no idea? Are some more valuable than others?

JudgeDredd

Agree with Rayfer - I had no freakin' idea what that Steam auction thing was about.

What I did though, was work out that people might be looking for Achievement cards - and so the ones I had I put up for 30 pence each - sold one  O0

As a side not (but related to JH's post) I've been looking for a Surface Pro 2 for my daughter on eBay. The reason was I thought they'd be going fairly cheap as they wre used. Apparently, not so. In fact - there's so many dumbasses out there, these things are selling for close to the price of a brand new one. Even without keyboards!

The stupidity of people the world over is astounding me nowadays.

(All this from a guy that spent £100 on an unfinished game...so I guess we all have our moments)  :idiot2:  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 15, 2014, 03:42:10 AM
I was shocked that people would pay real money to buy those stupid achievement cards. I sell them as soon as I earn them. No amount of stupidity surprises me anymore...

Same thing, sold for pennies as soon as they turn up in the inventory

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Anguille on December 15, 2014, 04:01:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 15, 2014, 03:42:10 AM
I was shocked that people would pay real money to buy those stupid achievement cards. I sell them as soon as I earn them. No amount of stupidity surprises me anymore...
How do you sell them? I have no idea? Are some more valuable than others?

It is really a matter of supply and demand and prices seem to fluctuate, but on the whole, I would say the most I ever received for one item is .60 cents. On the average, I would say items sell for anywhere between .10 and .25 cents, again, depending on supply and demand. That being said, you can set the listing price as high as you want. There is a chart that shows you how many sold in the last 24 hours and for what price.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

A year ago my son told me I could sell those cards in the Steam Marketplace, and now every time one pops up in my inventory I immediately turn around and sell it. I can care less about achievements or badges or leveling - whatever. Usually you get about eight to twelve cents per card, which isn't much but if you have a lot of them it will add up, especially when you apply them to mega-sales when games are only a buck or two. The most I got though was six bucks or thereabouts, but I don't recall which card it was. That was the only 'big' sale I've made, there.

Anguille, you just need to go to your inventory, click a card, then scroll down and you'll see a "Sell" button. Click that and you're taken to a screen where you set a price, but you'll see a graph that shows you how that particular card has sold over time. If you click 'Week' you can get an up-to-date idea of recent sales; then just set your price. Since Steam gets a taste you gotta factor that in (I think it's two cents, but when you're selling for $0.12, that can make a difference to a buyer). I generally go a cent or two under the average and they sell within minutes. The few that I've tried selling a cent or two higher than average just sit there and do not get bought.




GDS_Starfury

I didnt know you could do that.
I just put a boatload of stuff on sale.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Steelgrave

Thanks for the info, Banzai. I just put all my cards on sale and they sold immediately. Then I checked my email and saw that Steam had sent me a sale confirmation on each...and...every...card sold. 47 48 49 50 51 so far....sigh. Well, that's a couple of bucks in the Steam wallet anyway.

BanzaiCat

FWIW the gem thing goes over my head. I mean, I get it, but seeing as how I'll get 15 or so gems for each card and I have maybe one in my inventory right now - and most games are going upwards of 10,000+ gems...screw it.

sandman2575

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 15, 2014, 09:55:21 AM
FWIW the gem thing goes over my head. I mean, I get it, but seeing as how I'll get 15 or so gems for each card and I have maybe one in my inventory right now - and most games are going upwards of 10,000+ gems...screw it.

Agree completely. This "auction" thing with its childish "gems" and "cards" is just making me impatient.  Steam Winter Sale, please... you know, where I can just use regular ol' money.

(Rumor is it's starting on the 18th -- hope so...)

Anguille

Thanks for the info guys....