Video Card Recommendations

Started by Johnnie, December 15, 2014, 09:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Johnnie

My 7600GT will not run EUIV and I understand that Command OPs 2 will not support XP.  In spite of the fact that I love my PC, it looks like I have to bite the bullet and get a new one.  I think I can handle the PC specs but I am lost when it comes to video cards.  I think I want an Nvidia card.  That's all I know. (Got my present rig via Tiger Direct already put together. That is how I want to proceed now.)

I'm basically a wargamer and don't play anything else (although I also wouldn't mind playing the next good WWI or WWII flight simulation when it is issued.) 

What do I need?   Thanks.

Nefaro

Cranking the latest & greatest flight sim usually requires a decent video card. 

I think the biggest consideration will be the budget range you're looking at.  A good mid-level card is usually between $150-$200 depending on brand and series number.  You can still get by down to around the $120 range with some discretion but below that the performance tends to drop off sharply.

Bison

#2
Quote from: Johnnie on December 15, 2014, 09:22:21 PM
My 7600GT will not run EUIV and I understand that Command OPs 2 will not support XP.  In spite of the fact that I love my PC, it looks like I have to bite the bullet and get a new one.  I think I can handle the PC specs but I am lost when it comes to video cards.  I think I want an Nvidia card.  That's all I know. (Got my present rig via Tiger Direct already put together. That is how I want to proceed now.)

I'm basically a wargamer and don't play anything else (although I also wouldn't mind playing the next good WWI or WWII flight simulation when it is issued.) 

What do I need?   Thanks.

Can you post the tiger direct link for your new rig (the power supply will help narrow the field)?  Also what is your price range?

Something like this is a good budget card. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8906804&CatId=7387

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Bison


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


steve58

I picked up an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti earlier this year and am loving it so far.  Runs everything I can throw at it (including EUIV).  I have an older PC with a puny 460W PSU.  One of the reasons I got the GTX 750 Ti is because of its low power draw.  O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)