2400 DOS Games streamed online

Started by BanzaiCat, January 05, 2015, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 05:31:48 AM
I posted about this site before http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12147.0 but no one bothered :( but glad you guys finaly saw the games now

Wow - so you did!   O0

I'm not usually following the computer gaming forums too closely, so I missed that.  Great catch!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: gameleaper on January 07, 2015, 05:31:48 AM
I posted about this site before http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12147.0 but no one bothered :( but glad you guys finaly saw the games now

I saw MAME in that thread title but thought you were talking about the video arcade ROM emulator!  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Most of them need a manual because of the old-school DRM.   You should dig them up in order to play.  Dig them up from replacmentdocs.com or probably the same website, archive.org.

Shelldrake

Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2015, 04:30:06 AM
This site will lead to the death of GOG

I doubt it. Many folks like to own the game they are playing and GOG has also diversified into newer Windows games as well as indie titles.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Rayfer

I'll pass....I suspect my experience would be the same as with GOG....most of those old DOS games were great in their day and bring back many fond gaming memories, but when fired up and played today they are just flat out awful. I'd rather use my gaming time with Wasteland 2, CM: Red Thunder, TW Rome 2 and others of that ilk than those old nostalgic games.

bbmike

Quote from: Rayfer on January 07, 2015, 07:41:34 AM
I'll pass....I suspect my experience would be the same as with GOG....most of those old DOS games were great in their day and bring back many fond gaming memories, but when fired up and played today they are just flat out awful. I'd rather use my gaming time with Wasteland 2, CM: Red Thunder, TW Rome 2 and others of that ilk than those old nostalgic games.

You can take my Age of Rifles after you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2015, 04:30:06 AM
This site will lead to the death of GOG

Naa.  Some of them don't work or have other issues on that site. 


FarAway Sooner

Alas, no Renegade: Legion Interceptor. 

But they do have Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2.  I'm sure Star is busy reformatting his hard drive in an effort to get that one running even as I type...

:)

Rayfer

Quote from: bbmike on January 07, 2015, 07:48:15 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 07, 2015, 07:41:34 AM
I'll pass....I suspect my experience would be the same as with GOG....most of those old DOS games were great in their day and bring back many fond gaming memories, but when fired up and played today they are just flat out awful. I'd rather use my gaming time with Wasteland 2, CM: Red Thunder, TW Rome 2 and others of that ilk than those old nostalgic games.

You can take my Age of Rifles after you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.  :P

LOL...yes, there are those rare gems but for everyone one of them there are twenty stinkers!

Cyrano

Man...did my ill-spent youth really suck this much?

Damn...I feared so...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jack Nastyface

Just fired up Secret Weapons.  Although the experience of seeing some of the menu screens was quite nostalgic, actual game play was impossible.   Next I want to start up Heroes of the 357th just to see if it sucks as bad as I remember it.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

DennisS

I am at work..does it have ... Red Storm Rising?   :D

Cyrano

Ru-roh...I'm getting a secure connection failed error from the site now...

People are going to blame us, you know.

Everybody look busy.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

PAK

#43
I think sound is turned off by default, the icon for turning it on is on the right, that little "speaker"...
America Invades from Avalon Hill...
https://archive.org/details/msdos_D-Day_-_America_Invades_1995
Works but too slowly, somebody needs to turn cycles up in the dosbox

Heretic
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Heretic_-_Shadow_of_the_Serpent_Riders_1996

gameleaper

found the sound issue

Browser Choice

First, the Internet Arcade works best in Firefox, and a very recent flavor of Firefox at that. If you needed an excuse to upgrade, this is it. Chrome also works well, although due to disagreements between Mozilla and Google that bore me, Chrome runs about 20% slower on average. This can mean the difference between good and clunky emulation. Safari, mostly recent Safari, works good but sound does not currently work on it. Same for Internet Explorer. Believe it or not, I've had great response from a 64-bit Windows version of Firefox called Waterfox. As they say, your mileage may vary. We continue to improve this experience and we're constantly doing fixups to the code to work with other browsers.