2400 DOS Games streamed online

Started by BanzaiCat, January 05, 2015, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2015, 03:11:26 AM
Swotl? Does it still ask for the "spin-a-wheel" DRM?

I think that was Their Finest Hour, precursor to SWOTL.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Hot lead and dirty talk!

There was definitely a wheel for  SWOTL. Too bad they don't have the Aces series.

I believe the f10 key speeds up frame rates in Dos Box.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

BanzaiCat

Huh. I tried it in Chrome and still no sound. I'll give Firefox a shot.

Slick Wilhelm

I've only tried Gunship 2000 so far. Boy, what memories!

Unfortunately, I can't start the engine on my Apache because I need the code found on page 20 of the manual. That old goddamned DRM still haunts us today!

Are you guys sure about hitting <enter> to bypass the DRM?

Jack Nastyface

#49
@SlickW,
Works on some games, others, not.  I got past copy-protection on SWOTL and Great Naval Battles II, but I had to google wingspan of 110 to get past copy-pro on Chuck Yeager's AC.  Stunt driver had a "choose the proper icon" question that kicks you to DOS if you fail.

Edit:  for Gunship 2000...use the numeric key-pad to enter any 5 numbers into the authentication screen, then hit the aux power toggle.  Should get you going.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Greybriar

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 08, 2015, 04:23:34 PM
....for Gunship 2000...use the numeric key-pad to enter any 5 numbers into the authentication screen, then hit the aux power toggle.  Should get you going.

That sounds like some old hacker talking. j/k  ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 08, 2015, 04:23:34 PM
@SlickW,
Works on some games, others, not.  I got past copy-protection on SWOTL and Great Naval Battles II, but I had to google wingspan of 110 to get past copy-pro on Chuck Yeager's AC.  Stunt driver had a "choose the proper icon" question that kicks you to DOS if you fail.

Edit:  for Gunship 2000...use the numeric key-pad to enter any 5 numbers into the authentication screen, then hit the aux power toggle.  Should get you going.

Jack, I did that and no joy.  :(

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

gameleaper

Im wondering if these work in the console browsers like xbox and other browsers with explorer included , even smart TVs

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
Im wondering if these work in the console browsers like xbox and other browsers with explorer included , even smart TVs

It seems to load DOSbox in the browser.  So.. I don't know?

BanzaiCat

If the Xbox console's browser is based on IE (and I can't imagine otherwise), if it works on a computer it should work in a console. Would be interesting for anyone to report that here.

Not that I care, my Xbox 360 is hardly played and doesn't have an online component anyway.  :)

airboy

I have profound doubts if this website has the legal rights to supply these games.  I'm almost certain that some of the games did not release their rights.  For example - they have both Empire and Empire Deluxe.  The rights to this were bought by another company and they have upgraded the game.

Ditto the old Infocom games like Leather Goddess of Phobos.

I also doubt that a story that ran in the Washington Post in their tech column establishes the legality of this supply of material.

I also really don't want gog to fold.  I appreciate having an updated version of the game that has technical help available.  I also appreciate not stealing something.  Admittedly, I still have a couple of these games in an unplayable format (Empire most notably).  Even if the guy is not making any money with this, you can't take other people's property and distribute it for free to all comers.

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 11:53:56 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
Im wondering if these work in the console browsers like xbox and other browsers with explorer included , even smart TVs

It seems to load DOSbox in the browser.  So.. I don't know?

I think DosBox is running in the cloud, and the browser is an interface, I wonder if it runs on a phone

gameleaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 09, 2015, 11:55:35 AM
If the Xbox console's browser is based on IE (and I can't imagine otherwise), if it works on a computer it should work in a console. Would be interesting for anyone to report that here.

Not that I care, my Xbox 360 is hardly played and doesn't have an online component anyway.  :)

it runs on other browsers too like firefox, and its a cloud service

gameleaper

Quote from: airboy on January 09, 2015, 12:04:25 PM
I have profound doubts if this website has the legal rights to supply these games.  I'm almost certain that some of the games did not release their rights.  For example - they have both Empire and Empire Deluxe.  The rights to this were bought by another company and they have upgraded the game.

Ditto the old Infocom games like Leather Goddess of Phobos.

I also doubt that a story that ran in the Washington Post in their tech column establishes the legality of this supply of material.

I also really don't want gog to fold.  I appreciate having an updated version of the game that has technical help available.  I also appreciate not stealing something.  Admittedly, I still have a couple of these games in an unplayable format (Empire most notably).  Even if the guy is not making any money with this, you can't take other people's property and distribute it for free to all comers.

I think online access if different to owning a game youself.