Main Menu

Politics in Games

Started by DicedT, January 09, 2015, 02:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DicedT

I'm taking a look at politics in games. Things like the Laffer Curve in Sim City (an economic theory that cutting taxes stimulates growth, which many conservatives embrace).

Has anyone come across aspects in games that strike you as being rooted in some ideology such as liberal, conservative, libertarian, Marxist, etc.?

Michael

Barthheart

Take a look at the Tropico series. You can steer your Banana Republic towards capitalism or communism by warming up to either the US or the USSR. Become a tin pot dictator or an industrialist by your choices in how you build your economy and treat your people.

MengJiao

Quote from: DicedT on January 09, 2015, 02:47:06 PM
I'm taking a look at politics in games. Things like the Laffer Curve in Sim City (an economic theory that cutting taxes stimulates growth, which many conservatives embrace).

Has anyone come across aspects in games that strike you as being rooted in some ideology such as liberal, conservative, libertarian, Marxist, etc.?

Michael

  I haven't played any AssCreed games, but the sheer volume of conspiracy theory required by the games seems to represent some kind of
revitalized absurdist conspiracy (or fake?) ideology (for example the "plot" of unity seems to require finding out "what is really behind the revolution" -- which would be a version of one of the more ancient conspiracy theories -- the Masons as the cause of the revolution).

  So some games seem to invent (absurd? fake?) ideologies as needed.  It's not as if there were not plenty of historical ideologies that needed some assassins one way or another -- so why invent fake ideologies?

bayonetbrant

Civ IV and Civ V civics / social policies

Before Civ IV, there were forms of gov't that offered particular kinds of benefits / restrictions, but they weren't nearly as flexible as Civ IV/V

In fact, most 4x games have some sort of political dimension to them
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Master of Orion III has an oppressometer. You can restrict civil liberties in order to curtail espionage at the cost of raising the chance of strikes and rebellion and reducing productivity. 

Also, take a look at the Supreme Ruler series. A very heavy set of political options there if I recall.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


DicedT

Lots of good answers! I was actually thinking of Civ and Tropico.

There's a perception out there that the entertainment industry has a liberal bias. I'm curious whether our resident Groghead conservatives and libertarians have spotted what they consider to be liberal ideas in games.

Michael

bayonetbrant

welllll...  seems like in every Civ V game I've played since the BNW expansion, every civ but mine picks either Order or Autocracy as their ideology, regardless of either the historical facts, or the current state of the game.  Seems if they were a bunch of commie pinko liberals there'd be less autocracy floating around out there
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

I suppose Democracy 3 would be a prime example, although I've barely tried it.

Wolfe1759

Democracy 3 (and Democracy but not so much Democracy 2 which didn't use real countries) is an obvious one. A fair few debates  that it is left wing biased and an fairly equal number that it is right wing biased.

I've played more Democracy then Democracy 3 and recall it really over emphasising the religious (generally fundamental Christian I think) faction in society, maybe more representative of the US but when playing as the UK government you would still get assassination attempts from the religious faction when in reality the most that would really happen would be some slightly disapproving remarks to the Daily Mail (possibly the Telegraph) couched in the politest of terms on the letters page.

P.S. Nefaro beat me to it.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Nefaro

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on January 09, 2015, 05:15:26 PM
Democracy 3 (and Democracy but not so much Democracy 2 which didn't use real countries) is an obvious one. A fair few debates  that it is left wing biased and an fairly equal number that it is right wing biased.

I've played more Democracy then Democracy 3 and recall it really over emphasising the religious (generally fundamental Christian I think) faction in society, maybe more representative of the US but when playing as the UK government you would still get assassination attempts from the religious faction when in reality the most that would really happen would be some slightly disapproving remarks to the Daily Mail (possibly the Telegraph) couched in the politest of terms on the letters page.

P.S. Nefaro beat me to it.

From what I've heard, the fundie terrorism is extremely overblown in Democracy.  Regular presidential assassinations by Christian fundies isn't a thing here in the States, despite overblown misconceptions Europeans have about this place being chock full of Burn-In-Hell Puritans.  ;D

I got the impression that Democracy 3's model is based on European Socialist ideals in it's cause & effect system.  They obviously attempted to take a neutral Pro/Con with the highly debated political decisions but the underlying flavor is still there, with extra emphasis on some facets.

Wolfe1759

#10
Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 05:28:59 PM
From what I've heard, the fundie terrorism is extremely overblown in Democracy.  Regular presidential assassinations by Christian fundies isn't a thing here in the States, despite overblown misconceptions Europeans have about this place being chock full of Burn-In-Hell Puritans.  ;D

Mea culpa, though we do tend to think you have some strange notions that side of the pond  :)

Yes assassinations are way too common, the last time we had a Head of State "assassinated" here in the UK was 1649.

OK this has tempted me to have another go at Dem 3 and I've got a Danish mod so I might try to do a Borgen.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

undercovergeek

You forgot spencer Percival

Wolfe1759

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Swatter

Bioware these days is pushing gay rights/inclusion. In the most recent DA:I, they allow romantic pairings of the same gender. The developers don't shy away from calling it a political statement.

I think the game press (or large elements of it) tend to push gay and transgender rights. I cancelled my Computer Gaming World subscription back in the day because they made a point of writing long articles about transgender issues in video games. Not that I don't agree with gay rights, but at the time I just didn't want to see the game industry blur the lines of between gaming and political advocacy. Most recently RPS began making political statements.

Not that it bothers me much anymore, video games will follow the trends of culture at large (and not just in America). Bioware including gay characters in DA:I makes no difference to me, politically or otherwise. They just included it as more choice, a good way to go. There is politics in gaming, thankfully most of it is in gaming journalism (which is easy to ignore if I tire of it).

James Sterrett

Every game with one-way technological advancement has, wittingly or unwittingly, adopted a Whig view of history.  (One-way meaning you can't lose the advancement once you have gained it.)