2400 DOS Games streamed online

Started by BanzaiCat, January 05, 2015, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on January 09, 2015, 12:04:25 PMI also doubt that a story that ran in the Washington Post in their tech column establishes the legality of this supply of material.

I wasn't saying that it did, but the implication (to me, anyway) is that if it was something that was blatantly illegal or under some huge legal scrutiny, then the article would've either not been published, or prominently included information about the legal trouble.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Grim.Reaper

I haven't had a chance to really try any of these games yet, but dumb question.....does it actually save your progress in the game somehow or is it pretty much only a single session and start all over again?  Not sure some of them would be worth playing if you couldn't save your progress along the way.....unless you were just running them for nostalgia sake.

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
I think online access if different to owning a game yourself.
Hmm...you know, perhaps this is the a software model for libraries, insofar as libraries allow you to "use" a book without owning it.  Profit to the author of said book, in the form of book sales, is considerably diminished, but access to the book is always going occur, on on a time-based loan, which is kind of what is happening here.  I wonder what would happen if you tried starting a campaign with any of these games?  Is there a place to "save" your progress?


edit:  Hah!  Reaper, you and I just posted the same thought about saving progress.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 09, 2015, 01:35:01 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 12:11:32 PM
I think online access if different to owning a game yourself.
Hmm...you know, perhaps this is the a software model for libraries, insofar as libraries allow you to "use" a book without owning it.  Profit to the author of said book, in the form of book sales, is considerably diminished, but access to the book is always going occur, on on a time-based loan, which is kind of what is happening here.  I wonder what would happen if you tried starting a campaign with any of these games?  Is there a place to "save" your progress?


edit:  Hah!  Reaper, you and I just posted the same thought about saving progress.

Too funny:)

BanzaiCat

I'm guessing it will not save your progress. I haven't had a chance to test that theory, but at least two games (both D&D games) refused to start because I needed to insert a disk.  I've played DOSBOX versions of the D&D games before, but DOSBOX is very inconvenient for me - probably because I'm just lazy. Considering how I had to be nimble-fingered with DOS back in the late 80s/early 90s I've been spoiled by GUIs.

Anyway, I do not think it saves. Or more likely, some games do not while others might. I don't know how hard it is to save progress and 'write' it to a cookie to store in your browser's settings. I'm not that much into HTML.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 09, 2015, 01:46:56 PM
I'm guessing it will not save your progress. I haven't had a chance to test that theory, but at least two games (both D&D games) refused to start because I needed to insert a disk.  I've played DOSBOX versions of the D&D games before, but DOSBOX is very inconvenient for me - probably because I'm just lazy. Considering how I had to be nimble-fingered with DOS back in the late 80s/early 90s I've been spoiled by GUIs.

Anyway, I do not think it saves. Or more likely, some games do not while others might. I don't know how hard it is to save progress and 'write' it to a cookie to store in your browser's settings. I'm not that much into HTML.

That is my assumption as well...I am guessing most of them have very unique save file structures and can't imagine that being doable through a browser to a cookie or other things, but who knows.  If that is the case, then accessing these games is just a quick trip down memory lane for me, which is ok, still kind of neat to see some of them again.  Likely wouldn't play these old games very long anyways as my history with gog games has proven:)

gameleaper

#66
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Greybriar on January 09, 2015, 02:36:05 AM
Did you try Replacementdocs.com, Slick Wilhelm?

Thanks, Greybriar! You are a gentleman and a grog.  O0

Slick Wilhelm

#68
Yay! Operation Crusader from Atomic Games. No DRM, no floppy disks. Just pure, old, outstanding gameplay. I can't recommend this game highly enough. It's the only game I saved on the original disks purchased by me back in the early 1990's.

Awesome, just awesome!


bbmike

I tried to save a game but it didn't work. The no manual/DRM problem and not being able to save is enough to make me pass on this.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Uberhaus

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:17:35 PM
MS Space Simulator is there as well. That's a hard game to track down nowadays.

Is stuff this all legal?  ???

I hope so.  They state they have a DMCA exemption, but I am no lawyer.  https://archive.org/about/dmca.php

Late to the party, nevermind.

gameleaper

Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.

gameleaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 10, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 10, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on January 09, 2015, 04:00:41 PM
if they are working in a dosbox, the save would be in the dosbox, and the dosbox is shared in the cloud by all users. but they could implement a virtual floppy on your PC maybe? but I like the anonymous use as it is now

did you guys find the 1.3GB thousands of dos software https://archive.org/compress/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23/formats=ZIP&file=/IBM_PC_Compatibles_TOSEC_2012_04_23.zip just played doom and star trek on a virtualbox setup, just download free virtualbox( https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think its Oracle so its safe ) , and set the dos system disk(IBM-DOS 7.0) as a floppy and boot(switching virtual floppies as I go, the DOS system disks are part of the above download), I had to find a soundblaster16 sound driver( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7 ) , but found a free one after a search. the IBM-DOS disks install a mouse for you, I also found a generic cd driver ( I attached it ) and now I have a full dos system running well I also added a second virtual drive, If you need any help just ask. I actually took the Memmaker files from MS-DOS 6.22 and put it into IBM-DOS and it worked, I got extra memery for dos games to run, MS-DOS 6.22 comes with the above download. also all the system is ring fenced on your system , so PC is safe.

Ive already done it all for you, here is the virtual hard drive all done, just use it with virtualbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw17jxeeh67q8wp/DosVirtualHardDriveForVirtualBox.zip?dl=0


PS : I think a link to the console browser collections needs to be mentioned in this thread http://game-oldies.com/games-alphabetical-listing

Im requoteing as you guys are missing thousands of MS-DOS games you can actualy download and run & make saves from the achive emulator section, there are programs such as winimage that also create exe files from virtual floppies so you can run in a Dosbox.

Seeing and playing old games is a nice trip down memory lane....but for me I have learned my lesson that I really can't play them long, just too outdated compared to games today.  No doubt there were really some great games back then, but too far in the past for me to play them seriously.  I tried several old titles from GOG and at first they hold my attention, but after not too long, they become shelf-ware.

grim you have a point, but I like the old games that are very different from modern games, rougue like games and dwarf fortress are the type I mean, and there are plenty of old free games like startrek or very basic text&simple graphics sorts of games. you just don't see many anymore, but I like modern too ,