Main Menu

Matrix Holiday Sale

Started by Rayfer, November 25, 2014, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 27, 2014, 08:07:02 PM
UV is an older game, at least 10 years or more so Win8 may not play nice with it. Are there any Win 95/98/xp compatibility options you have tried yet?

I tried compatibility modes but they didn't work either. I finally tried windowed mode (-w switch) and it works better but the window it's in is too small for me play it comfortably.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Quote from: bbmike on November 28, 2014, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 27, 2014, 08:07:02 PM
UV is an older game, at least 10 years or more so Win8 may not play nice with it. Are there any Win 95/98/xp compatibility options you have tried yet?

I tried compatibility modes but they didn't work either. I finally tried windowed mode (-w switch) and it works better but the window it's in is too small for me play it comfortably.

I'm sorry for recommending it then. I played this in Win 7 but not yet on my Win 8 machine.  :'(

bbmike

Quote from: jomni on November 28, 2014, 05:04:48 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 28, 2014, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 27, 2014, 08:07:02 PM
UV is an older game, at least 10 years or more so Win8 may not play nice with it. Are there any Win 95/98/xp compatibility options you have tried yet?

I tried compatibility modes but they didn't work either. I finally tried windowed mode (-w switch) and it works better but the window it's in is too small for me play it comfortably.


I'm sorry for recommending it then. I played this in Win 7 but not yet on my Win 8 machine.  :'(

Oh, no, don't be sorry! It does work and I will be able to play it at some point. I have a couple of older laptops around here somewhere.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Or if you have an extra monitor and cable you can set up a second screen with lower resolution to make the game window appear bigger and then fling the window onto it and play.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

gameleaper

I use a virtual PC for all my older games, and just isolate it so it dosnt connect to the net, you have setting in each virtual PC to disable the network adapter , you can use vware player , vitual box and so on , I use them to play away team one of the best star trek games I ever played

Grim.Reaper

Just a reminder that today is the last day of the sale.....probably the first year in a long time that I didn't pick up a single Matrix sale item....

-budd-

I bought one title, had a coupon for storms of steel so picked that up to complete my conflict of heroes collection. The least i've bought in a very long time.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Martok

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 11, 2015, 11:39:49 AM
Just a reminder that today is the last day of the sale.....probably the first year in a long time that I didn't pick up a single Matrix sale item....
Same here.  At the moment, I own every Matrix/Slitherine title I want to play and/or am likely to play at any point in the foreseeable future. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

WallysWorld

Yep, I didn't buy anything either as the only game I'm interested in right now is Hannibal: Terror of Rome and it wasn't on sale.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JudgeDredd

Nothing for me either. Like the rest of you, anything I wanted, I've got.

The only thing I bought - as a Christmas present, was WitW...nothing from the sale.

The last thing I bought from Matrix (through Steam) was Flashpoint Campaigns and that was a re-buy as opposed to a new purchase. I can't remember the last one before that.

I'm not even sure there's anything on the horizon...apart from Brother Against Brother - which never seems to be any closer to release (though they are often keeping their cards close to their chest), nothing in Coming Soon peaks my interest
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Tuna

I grabbed Civil War 2.. was looking at that and Flashpoint, but since I enjoyed ACW 1, I figured couldn't go wrong to get the upgrade.

republic

I'm really considering pulling the trigger on Flash Point Campaigns Red Storm....though I promised myself no new games for a long while.

Wolfe1759

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 11, 2015, 04:40:20 PM
Nothing for me either. Like the rest of you, anything I wanted, I've got.

The only thing I bought - as a Christmas present, was WitW...nothing from the sale.

Same here.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

mirth

I picked up Tiller's Napoleonic game for nostalgia more than anything else.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

ArizonaTank

I told myself there was nothing on sale that I wanted.  But then based on a friends recommendation I picked up Decisive Campaigns Blitz and Case Blue.  Glad I did.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.