Space Sectors 2015 Space/Sci Fi/Fantasy Games

Started by spelk, January 12, 2015, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Martok

Off that list, I'm eagerly anticipating (and will almost certainly be getting) the following titles: 

Stardrive 2
Predestination
(note: I'm a Kicsktarter backer, and will be automatically be receiving a copy once it's released)
The 2nd expansion to Age of Wonders 3


Games I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit for, but am still looking forward to: 

Worlds of Magic (I'm a Kickstarter backer; currently playing with the beta)
Limit Theory (I'm a KS backer for this one as well)
Sovereignty: Crown of Kings


Games I'm not expecting much of, but am prepared to be pleasantly surprised by: 

M.O.R.E. (again, I'm a KS backer - sigh...)
Star Ruler 2
Sorcerer King
Galactic Civilizations 3



Games I don't know much about, but am curious to hear more of/see how they turn out: 

Stars in Shadow
Deep Space Settlement


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

I am also looking for shallow space...not sure if it's going to be released in 2015 though

Martok

I don't know if it'll be out this year, but Lord of Rigel is another space 4x title that looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on. 

http://www.lordofrigel.com/

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

FlickJax


Anguille

Quote from: Martok on January 12, 2015, 03:19:32 PM
I don't know if it'll be out this year, but Lord of Rigel is another space 4x title that looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on. 

http://www.lordofrigel.com/

I like the artwork...nice!

panzerde

Interested in a few of these, but the game I'm really waiting for is The Mandate. Because Czarists in Space.  :smitten:

As mentioned in the comments though it isn't clear that there'll be anything playable yet this year.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

I've ogled Satellite Reign since it's an upcoming cyberpunk-ish game inspired by the old Syndicate.  But when it first came up on Steam, it was pretty much pre-alpha and I don't think it's changed much since.

Definitely want more AOW3 expansions.


My most anticipated 4X is probably That Which Sleeps although I'm not sure when that will show up.  One of the few things I've Kickstarted.  Can't resist playing as a GOO attempting to break through and conquer.   >:D  We wannts it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps

RooksBailey

#9
Quote from: Nefaro on January 12, 2015, 06:22:14 PM
I've ogled Satellite Reign since it's an upcoming cyberpunk-ish game inspired by the old Syndicate.  But when it first came up on Steam, it was pretty much pre-alpha and I don't think it's changed much since.

Satellite Reign also in on the top of my list.   I remember when the game was announced but haven't checked on it because I know how long these things take these days.   :)  But based on this vid, it looks pretty darn impressive!



I am loving cyberpunk.  This genre is to me now what WWIII games were to me in the '80s.  They just seem really, really relevant now.  8)

What happened to Invisible Inc.?  That should have been on the list, too.  It is also at the top of my 2015 list.  I just wish it had more of a cyberpunk look.  The art reminds me more of a Spy vs Spy game than a cyberpunk game.  :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

GDS_Starfury

Id play Stars in Shadow.  one of the devs used to be heavy into Homeworld modding and his artwork is excellent as proven by his webtoon Outsiders:  http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider101.html
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Bison

Martok I cannot believe you are dissing Gal Civ 3, but are embracing Stardrive 2. 

panzerde

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 12, 2015, 09:45:28 PM
Id play Stars in Shadow.  one of the devs used to be heavy into Homeworld modding and his artwork is excellent as proven by his webtoon Outsiders:  http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider101.html

Thanks, added to my list of web comics to read...

The game art looks quite nice.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Martok

Quote from: Bison on January 12, 2015, 09:46:58 PM
Martok I cannot believe you are dissing Gal Civ 3, but are embracing Stardrive 2.
GalCiv3 appears to be too much like its predecessor, too much "more of the same" -- the various improvements, while welcome, are mostly incremental in my eyes and in no way different or ground-breaking.  In addition, Stardock had stated for years that when they got around to making the next GalCiv title, they were going to add tactical combat -- a feature long-sought by many players (including myself) -- only to have them implement this weak-sauce modified viewer thing instead.  :(  This has been a huge letdown for me. 

In short, my level of disappointment for GC3 (once its details were revealed) was profound enough that my anticipation for it simply vanished.  The videos I've watched on YouTube (of the recorded streams) have done little to sway my opinion either; they're mildly interesting, but I've seen almost nothing to make me genuinely excited.  (The way he's doing AI this time around is the one bright spot, but that alone isn't enough to get me on board.) 



In contrast, Stardrive II is going the Total War route of combining turn-based empire management with real-time battles, which is my preferred type of strategy game.  (At least on paper -- Armada 2526, for example, does the former very well, but the latter not so much.)  He's also fleshed out the "exploration" phase to a much greater extent this time around (he's adding a lot more content, including space monsters and interesting random events), which as a 4x gamer is something I especially appreciate. 

While the first Stardrive game was undeniably far from a home run, it did do at least a few things well -- ship design was interesting, combat was fun, and the AI could be brutal.  Moreover, I think Dan learned a lot from making the first game (including some hard lessons about over-promising/under-delivering) -- enough so, that I'm confident in his ability to turn out a solid, and even much-improved, sequel.  The videos I've seen have thus far borne out my belief; I honestly think Stardrive II is going to be very good. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on January 13, 2015, 04:45:25 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 12, 2015, 09:46:58 PM
Martok I cannot believe you are dissing Gal Civ 3, but are embracing Stardrive 2.
GalCiv3 appears to be too much like its predecessor, too much "more of the same" -- the various improvements, while welcome, are mostly incremental in my eyes and in no way different or ground-breaking.  In addition, Stardock had stated for years that when they got around to making the next GalCiv title, they were going to add tactical combat -- a feature long-sought by many players (including myself) -- only to have them implement this weak-sauce modified viewer thing instead.  :(  This has been a huge letdown for me. 

In short, my level of disappointment for GC3 (once its details were revealed) was profound enough that my anticipation for it simply vanished.  The videos I've watched on YouTube (of the recorded streams) have done little to sway my opinion either; they're mildly interesting, but I've seen almost nothing to make me genuinely excited.  (The way he's doing AI this time around is the one bright spot, but that alone isn't enough to get me on board.) 



In contrast, Stardrive II is going the Total War route of combining turn-based empire management with real-time battles, which is my preferred type of strategy game.  (At least on paper -- Armada 2526, for example, does the former very well, but the latter not so much.)  He's also fleshed out the "exploration" phase to a much greater extent this time around (he's adding a lot more content, including space monsters and interesting random events), which as a 4x gamer is something I especially appreciate. 

While the first Stardrive game was undeniably far from a home run, it did do at least a few things well -- ship design was interesting, combat was fun, and the AI could be brutal.  Moreover, I think Dan learned a lot from making the first game (including some hard lessons about over-promising/under-delivering) -- enough so, that I'm confident in his ability to turn out a solid, and even much-improved, sequel.  The videos I've seen have thus far borne out my belief; I honestly think Stardrive II is going to be very good.

I am with Martok here....same reasons.  O0