I want to play ______ but I end up playing _______.

Started by republic, January 14, 2015, 07:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spelk

Quote from: Anguille on January 15, 2015, 05:22:25 AM
Quote from: spelk on January 15, 2015, 05:17:12 AM
But usually, if its released by Matrix, or pushed out to Steam, it suddenly elevates immediately to the top of the to do list anyways!
I keep my plan flexible and change it from time to time. If there's a brand new game i really want to play, i will change the plan accordingly.

Will you plan and organise my gaming schedule please!? ;)

Anguille

Quote from: spelk on January 15, 2015, 05:24:58 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 15, 2015, 05:22:25 AM
Quote from: spelk on January 15, 2015, 05:17:12 AM
But usually, if its released by Matrix, or pushed out to Steam, it suddenly elevates immediately to the top of the to do list anyways!
I keep my plan flexible and change it from time to time. If there's a brand new game i really want to play, i will change the plan accordingly.

Will you plan and organise my gaming schedule please!? ;)

Lol....sure!  ;)

Sir Slash

You guys should just skip the un-winnable TW Children and go strait to the TW Grandchildren, where you can't loose.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

sandman2575

Got a time machine I could borrow, Slash?   :)

I think Anguille is onto something here.  Maybe it's time to start getting Stalinist (or, if you prefer, Maoist) about our absurd gaming backlogs. 5-Year Plans!  3-Year Plans!  A Great Leap Forward!  It is time to bring some order to the suffocating overproduction of the digital-distributing capitalists!  We must centralize our activities through a planned economy of gaming labor, with clear Quotas to be filled, clear Milestones to be reached. Then, and only then, can we hope to curtail the wasteful expenditure on games never played -- such games, of ideologically questionable character, will be sent to the gulag, never to return. Gamers of the world, unite!

Anguille is hereby awarded the Order of Newell, First Class, and denominated a Hero of Gaming Labor. Your dacha on the Caspian awaits, comrade.

republic

I made myself open up EU4 last night even though I was so tired...  I was greeted with almost a new game lol   Its been so long since I've played and so many patches have been applied, it is quite different.

I immediately selected Mocovy and began my long journey to creating Mother Russia.

I really wish they'd make a Victoria 3...

Skwerl

This appears to be a common malady among our sort.  I find that I can't play anything of any complexity at all during the week.  By the end of the work day I'm just too brain-dead.  If I'm even going to attempt something complex (Heart of Iron 2 or Dominions 3 for example) I wait until the weekend.

Sir Slash

Just the opposite here. Too damn noisy on the weekend for my half-dead brain cells to fire for something like DC: WtP or Case Blue to concentrate on so I defer to something more simple like Skyrim that I can hop into and out again easily. When it's quiet, I go deep. Funny because when I was young, I could play chess in a mental institution without problems concentrating.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Some might consider being in a mental institution to be the bigger problem.....  :idiot2:

MetalDog

Ummmm..........I thought THIS place was the mental institution...
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on January 15, 2015, 05:13:33 PM
Some might consider being in a mental institution to be the bigger problem.....  :idiot2:


When I was working on my graduate degree as a therapist, I learned that in some of the less economically developed portions of our fair state the locals would often contrive to get their families to commit them for a 30 day observation in the nearest State Hospital. They weren't crazy - if they went to the hospital they got decent food, didn't have to work, were (from their perspective) waited on, there were organized recreation programs, and it was generally peaceful. In other words, it's what you did for a vacation when you couldn't afford an actual vacation.


Origins last year was kind of like that for me.  ;D
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

Right Panzerde. The place I worked was co-ed with a work program where patients could get paid for their jobs. Sometimes more than the staff were paid. Free food and board, relations with the opposite or same sex, drugs provided by the state, and cash money too. Who wouldn't be crazy for a little while for that?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 15, 2015, 10:57:05 AM
Anguille is hereby awarded the Order of Newell, First Class, and denominated a Hero of Gaming Labor. Your dacha on the Caspian awaits, comrade.

Thanks you comrade! Please send me the keys to my dacha...

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 14, 2015, 09:33:37 AM
Quote from: republic on January 14, 2015, 07:56:28 AM
While at work I want to go home and play Europa Universalis IV, Command Air/Naval, (insert cerebral game) but I'm so tired I end up playing Elite or Planetside 2.

Do you want to play certain games but end up going to fallbacks?

  What happens to me is more insidious:  I want to play X, but I end up reading up on the real actions being simulated and I end up changing the rules.  Flying Colors is the worst case of this (boardgame), but no game is immune.  For Pc games the result is something like instead of playing CMANO, I play small scenarios basically in the editor.  Currently I'm trapped in the CMFI editor.  In the worst cases (where there are no accounts of any actual actions) I've just played in the editor for decades (all of the ARMAs since about 2004, for example and DCS)

  The fact that some people have been tracking their game-playing reminds me that I often wonder say -- what was I playing in say spring 2013?  The only long-term records I have for games are the WitpAE notebooks and the most recent set of those only goes back about a year.

  So mostly I have only a pretty selective idea of what I have played over the last say 50 years.

republic

Also, seeing that Paradox has a sale going on 3/4 of the year, why is it that I only really get into their games during the short period between sales?   #GrogheadProblems   #ImTooOldForHashtags

Martok

I too suffer (if that's the word for it) from this phenomenon.  Can't tell you the number of times I've sat down in front of my computer with every intention of playing <Title I've barely touched> but ended up playing <Old/longtime favorite game> instead. 

In my case, my standard "fall back" games include Armada 2526 Supernova, Distant Worlds Universe, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, and Rome II: Total War.  That, or if I'm feeling particularly old school, I'll also fire up Birth of the Federation, Shogun Total War/Mongol Invasion, Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion, and Commander & Conquer: Red Alert 2. 




Quote from: Skwerl on January 15, 2015, 01:45:55 PM
This appears to be a common malady among our sort.  I find that I can't play anything of any complexity at all during the week.  By the end of the work day I'm just too brain-dead.  If I'm even going to attempt something complex (Heart of Iron 2 or Dominions 3 for example) I wait until the weekend.
Same here.  Although for me, it's lack of time during the workday as much as lack of energy.  By the time I get off work in the morning, run whatever errands I need to do, get home, shower, make myself supper, etc., I generally don't have more than a few hours before I have to go to bed -- and I spend at least some of that surfing the web (including/especially visiting here!).  If I'm going to spend any time on a new/unfamiliar game, it has to be on one of my nights off. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces