Main Menu

Drone Simulators?

Started by DicedT, January 15, 2015, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DicedT

Anyone know any simulators for drones/Unmanned Aerial Vehicles? I came across this (http://www.amazon.com/UAV-Predator-PC/dp/B0017XBO8G), but I'm not sure if I need Flight Simulator X for it.

Michael

Jarhead0331

#1
ARMA III models large drones capable of carrying weaponry such as the Predator, as well as smaller man portable quad-copters.







Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Rekim

#2
Command Modern Air Naval Operations simulates drones.

The scenario Operation Lightning Strike is especially good for this as it includes the predator, sentinel and globalhawk. I enjoy the U2s in particular with this scenario.

Jack Nastyface

You can also fly UAV's / UGV's in Steel Beasts ProPE.  neither platform was weaponized in early versions, but I haven't checked if that has changed with the most recent update.

On the console, Tom Clancy's Advanced Warfighter game allows you to control a mini UAV/UGV that can "shock-wave" (ie: flash-bang) baddies.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

DicedT

I'm really looking for a sim that lets you operate the drone ground station console, which I think the MS Flight Simulator add-on does.

How realistic is ARMA III and SB for drones?

Michael

Jarhead0331

#5
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 15, 2015, 02:50:16 PM

On the console, Tom Clancy's Advanced Warfighter game allows you to control a mini UAV/UGV that can "shock-wave" (ie: flash-bang) baddies.

Not just on console...this is on the PC too. Drone operations are also featured in Future Soldier.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

Quote from: DicedT on January 15, 2015, 03:16:09 PM
I'm really looking for a sim that lets you operate the drone ground station console, which I think the MS Flight Simulator add-on does.

How realistic is ARMA III and SB for drones?

Michael

In ARMA III, drones are controled from a ground station or portable console. How realistic is it? Hard to say, I've never flown a military drone...however, I do own an advanced commercial quadcopter and I'd say its pretty spot on.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2015, 03:22:04 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 15, 2015, 02:50:16 PM

On the console, Tom Clancy's Advanced Warfighter game allows you to control a mini UAV/UGV that can "shock-wave" (ie: flash-bang) baddies.

Not just on console...this is on the PC too. Drone operations are also featured in Future Soldier.


Great games  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2015, 03:25:41 PM
Quote from: DicedT on January 15, 2015, 03:16:09 PM
I'm really looking for a sim that lets you operate the drone ground station console, which I think the MS Flight Simulator add-on does.

How realistic is ARMA III and SB for drones?

Michael

In ARMA III, drones are controled from a ground station or portable console. How realistic is it? Hard to say, I've never flown a military drone...however, I do own an advanced commercial quadcopter and I'd say its pretty spot on.

Extremely unrealistic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 15, 2015, 11:04:25 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2015, 03:25:41 PM
Quote from: DicedT on January 15, 2015, 03:16:09 PM
I'm really looking for a sim that lets you operate the drone ground station console, which I think the MS Flight Simulator add-on does.

How realistic is ARMA III and SB for drones?

Michael

In ARMA III, drones are controled from a ground station or portable console. How realistic is it? Hard to say, I've never flown a military drone...however, I do own an advanced commercial quadcopter and I'd say its pretty spot on.

Extremely unrealistic.

In what way? Control? Physics? Software? I'm talking about the quad copter or dart...not the grey hawk.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bboyer66

One of the more entertaining missions in ARMA III is using a small man portable drone to identify enemy positions, and take them out with arty fire. Have not really tried flying the bigger drones as of yet in ARMA III. 


Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 16, 2015, 06:37:37 AM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 15, 2015, 11:04:25 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2015, 03:25:41 PM
Quote from: DicedT on January 15, 2015, 03:16:09 PM
I'm really looking for a sim that lets you operate the drone ground station console, which I think the MS Flight Simulator add-on does.

How realistic is ARMA III and SB for drones?

Michael

In ARMA III, drones are controled from a ground station or portable console. How realistic is it? Hard to say, I've never flown a military drone...however, I do own an advanced commercial quadcopter and I'd say its pretty spot on.

Extremely unrealistic.

In what way? Control? Physics? Software? I'm talking about the quad copter or dart...not the grey hawk.

You're right, there. I have no experience with commercial drones, but I would imagine that the capabilities of the ArmA drones are closer to your quad copter than the stuff I've used.

Jarhead0331

On an unrelated, totally infuriating note, I just logged into facebook and right there on the side of the screen was an add for UAV Simulator.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

Quote from: DicedT on January 15, 2015, 01:22:07 PM
Anyone know any simulators for drones/Unmanned Aerial Vehicles? I came across this (http://www.amazon.com/UAV-Predator-PC/dp/B0017XBO8G), but I'm not sure if I need Flight Simulator X for it.

Michael

By the way...it says prominently on the box art that it is an add-on for FSX or FS2004. So yes, it requires FSX.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jack Nastyface

The UAV experience in Steel Beasts is poor insofar as the fm is non-existent.
I am really surprised that the US Military hasn't jumped in to create a UAV sim.  As I understand it, there is an increasing demand for UAV operators but the MOS is decidedly unattractive to many.  You'd think they could have at least attempted to create a "promo / recruitment" tool like they did with America's Army.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.