Main Menu

Hell Or PIke & Shot?

Started by tgb, January 15, 2015, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

One more thing - this game is tough.  I'm already struggling with the second scenario in what is supposed to be the easier campaign.  Part of the problem is a huge number of AI units to fight against, but I haven't seen it do anything blatantly stupid, either.  In fact, the AI seems fairly competent. 

Gusington

Sounds very serviceable so far. Is it unfair to compare it to Solium Infernum?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

Very unfair.  This is a BA-engine game focuses solely on strategic combat between humans and denizens of hell.  Solium Infernum is a strategy board-like game with n tactical combat at all.

FarAway Sooner

Does it suffer from the same dynamic that eventually wore me out on the Panzer General-type games, where individual scenarios are fun, but the only way they can raise the difficulty is to make each scenario more and more puzzle-like, where you have to know that there are snipers hiding in those trees but not those trees, and you have to have just the right unit combos to fight your way through that situation without sustaining crippling casualties.

When the element of tactical problem solving is replaced by customizable trial-and-error, I find the games get to be tedious.  That's one reason I held off from buying Hell and went with Xenonauts instead.  (not that I've had time to play Xenonauts, you understand)

tgb

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 18, 2015, 05:49:29 PM
Does it suffer from the same dynamic that eventually wore me out on the Panzer General-type games, where individual scenarios are fun, but the only way they can raise the difficulty is to make each scenario more and more puzzle-like, where you have to know that there are snipers hiding in those trees but not those trees, and you have to have just the right unit combos to fight your way through that situation without sustaining crippling casualties.

When the element of tactical problem solving is replaced by customizable trial-and-error, I find the games get to be tedious.  That's one reason I held off from buying Hell and went with Xenonauts instead.  (not that I've had time to play Xenonauts, you understand)

I haven't played far enough into it to answer that.  I may have to restart the second scenario of the human campaign, because I had no idea that I was awarded a victory in one objective and had received another.  There a listing on the side of the screen of where you stand in terms of the various objectives in a scenario, but that can be closed.  If you close it (as I did) you get no indication when objectives are achieved or even changed.