Main Menu

Sid Meier's Starships

Started by Anguille, January 19, 2015, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FarAway Sooner

Could be good...  Or it could be Civilization 5 with no terrain and space ships instead of ground units.  Have to wait and see what game play features they introduce.  Because, frankly, Space 4x games these days have introduced a lot of different interesting innovations.

Tpek

Okay... another game to drain my bank account.  :P

Huw the Poo

Sorry but I'm with Jarhead and tgb on this one.  A scarcity of detail, it will be ready soon suggesting a very short development cycle, and it will be available on iPad.  Pfft.  This is going to be Ace Patrol in space.  Hardly anything to get worked up about.

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on January 19, 2015, 11:52:21 AM
....
2:  Yep, Sid is a brand now, and I too want to know who's developing this.
...

From the GameSpot article:
QuoteStarships was developed by Meier and a small team at Firaxis. Check back later this week for an in-depth interview with Meier about his new development team, and lots more.

Barthheart


BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on January 19, 2015, 01:48:15 PM
Anybody read Spanish?

Interview with Sid on Spanish website:
http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/avances/21338/4375/0/sid-meiers-starships/

Open it in Chrome...Chrome should prompt you, asking if you want to translate it.

Barthheart


bbmike

Paste the url into Google search. In the results there will be an option to translate the page. Off to read...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

Quote from: tgb on January 19, 2015, 11:40:28 AM
Do we know yet if this is actually Sid's design, or just more branding?

...sounds like he was intimately involved.

Quote
As I said this is the game in which I have been working for the past year and a half-year. I designed the gameplay and artificial intelligence, have worked with the team and have done work related to graphics and sound. I have also been involved in some parts of the interface.

...CHrome translated from the Spanish article.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2015, 11:27:48 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 19, 2015, 11:11:33 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2015, 11:07:27 AM
Why can't Sid just make a proper space 4x?

Looks fairly close to it...don't you think?

No. I don't. From the description, it sounds more like you have a fleet of ships that travel around space to combat threats against colonized worlds.  I don't see anything to suggest that there is any building, colony management, or combat on planets.  I want Civilization in space, somewhat along the lines of Emperor of the Fading Suns. Start with a planet and then explore. Land forces on other planets and colonize and build. Done properly, a game like this would simply be epic.

Because they make more money by splitting the 4x concept into several parts instead of an all-in-one game.

Dread Rlyeh

This doesn't sounds very promising to me, and given that I haven't been impressed with the recent Firaxis offerings, I'm not too hopeful.

I think the only way we are going to get the game we want is if we do it ourselves. 

Step 1. Incorporate
Step 2. Kickstart Overlord of the Dying Stars
Step 3. Get some interns that we pay in sandwiches.
Step 4.  ???
Step 5.  Profit!   

Nefaro

Yay!

Overloard of the Dying Stars 1908!

Gusington

I'm assuming the Byzantine faction will be available at release and not in a future DLC.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2015, 06:14:20 PM
I'm assuming the Byzantine faction will be available at release and not in a future DLC.
I suggest we meet with a Vaporware consultant and plan marketing strategies before disclosing any details :) 

Jarhead0331

#44
Hate to be the Debbie downer, but this just sounds like it is going to be very underwhelming. It may be fun and enjoyable, but its definitely not going to be the game we all hoped it would be...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/absolutely-everything-know-sid-meiers-starships-far/

Quote
Sid Meier's Starships, an "adventure-driven strategy game" for iPad, Mac, and PC. It's being developed by Sid's studio Firaxis. Here's publisher 2K's official description.

    Take command of a fleet of powerful starships in this adventure-driven strategy game from legendary designer Sid Meier. Travel to new worlds, completing missions to help save and protect the planets and their people from dangerous Space Pirates, to powerful Marauders and other hostile factions.

Your ships travel through a randomly-generated galaxy, using diplomacy to collect allies and combat to subjugate enemies. The ships are "fully customizable" and the galaxy is full of missions and quests.

It might be epic, but it probably won't be too big. According to Polygon, Starships will be download-only — the lack of a boxed retail release suggests that it'll be a $10-$15ish game like Ace Patrol Pacific Skies, the WWII turn-based dog-fighting game Firaxis released in 2013. There's nothing wrong with that at all. We loved Ace Patrol around here, and I personally played it for months.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18