OOTP 16 - Now Officially Licensed

Started by Nefaro, January 23, 2015, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

I've been picking it up on the All-Stars discount later in the season.  The initial patching is mostly done by then.  I don't usually follow baseball anyway so it's no hurry.

MetalDog

Is it multiple seasons or just the current one?  What I mean is, do you only get to play one season, or can this thing sim for the next 20 or 50 or 100 seasons?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: MetalDog on January 24, 2015, 07:43:34 PM
Is it multiple seasons or just the current one?  What I mean is, do you only get to play one season, or can this thing sim for the next 20 or 50 or 100 seasons?

This is a career based game so you manage the franchise for as long as you want....across countless years.  You draft players, trade players, bring them up from the minors, etc.  it's the closest thing most of us will get to managing a team.

Grim.Reaper

By the way, give the demo a try, it will show you everything you need to know...its towards bottom of this page.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of-the-park-baseball/download.php

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

sandman2575

by the way, you can start a franchise, or league, or what have you, in the 19th century -- doesn't need to be present day -- or the 1920s, or whatever you want.

OOTP is *incredibly* tailor-able to almost anything you can think of.  Want to GM the Yomimuri Giants?  Go for it. Set up a Cuban league? Sure thing.  Basically if it exists in the baseball universe, past or present, you can do it in OOTP.

Bison

I have a feeling you'll like it MD.  It's all stats and analyzing them.  Good times.

Bison

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 24, 2015, 08:14:57 PM
by the way, you can start a franchise, or league, or what have you, in the 19th century -- doesn't need to be present day -- or the 1920s, or whatever you want.

OOTP is *incredibly* tailor-able to almost anything you can think of.  Want to GM the Yomimuri Giants?  Go for it. Set up a Cuban league? Sure thing.  Basically if it exists in the baseball universe, past or present, you can do it in OOTP.

I actually don't play the MLB.  I play a league a I created.

MetalDog

Just downloaded the demo.  Looked at some of the screenshots and most of the first video.  Looks pretty in depth.  You're right, Bison.  It looks like something I will enjoy.  Going to give it a try out when W8 and me are done with a session of AoWIII.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Fooled around a bit with it.  That's a LOT of information coming at you!!  Do you guys ever watch the simulated games?  Haven't done so yet, but I will.  Probably tomorrow.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 25, 2015, 12:04:08 AM
Fooled around a bit with it.  That's a LOT of information coming at you!!  Do you guys ever watch the simulated games?  Haven't done so yet, but I will.  Probably tomorrow.

It depends.  I go through phases where I'll sim through 1 or 2 weeks at a time and only deal with transactions based on injury, trades, drafts.  And other times I'll manage every game.  It's the beauty of the game.  You can really choose how much you want to be involved in the details of your team.  Frankly it's completely overwhelming at first.  I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but I just started messing with different things and learned the interface and found the aspects I enjoyed most.  I love building a budget team that competes for the title every year.  Draft young talent sign to low cost contracts for 4 or 5 years, pick up a few veterans through free agency to plug the holes in the line up and start simming my way through the weeks.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bison on January 25, 2015, 12:09:36 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 25, 2015, 12:04:08 AM
Fooled around a bit with it.  That's a LOT of information coming at you!!  Do you guys ever watch the simulated games?  Haven't done so yet, but I will.  Probably tomorrow.

It depends.  I go through phases where I'll sim through 1 or 2 weeks at a time and only deal with transactions based on injury, trades, drafts.  And other times I'll manage every game.  It's the beauty of the game.  You can really choose how much you want to be involved in the details of your team.  Frankly it's completely overwhelming at first.  I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but I just started messing with different things and learned the interface and found the aspects I enjoyed most.  I love building a budget team that competes for the title every year.  Draft young talent sign to low cost contracts for 4 or 5 years, pick up a few veterans through free agency to plug the holes in the line up and start simming my way through the weeks.

+1....starting out can be overwhelming, even for people that play it every year.  A ton to manage, but most of it you can allow your assistant coaches/CPU handle for you if you don't want to perform all the duties (i.e. managing rosters between major and minor league, setting lineups, depth charts, pitcher rotations, etc.).  When your starting a new league, they have a few quickstarts you can use which will setup the league how you would like, for example you can use a quickstart to represent the major league.  One part I struggle with is I want every setting (and there are a lot) to match the major leagues as close as possible and I am not sure how to setup everything to make sure that happens.  Even using the quickstart, if my memory serves correct from old versions, it doesn't necessarily set it up 100% the same.  For example, there is an injury setting that has many options.....often a lot of debate as to what setting actually yields realistic results.  Same with trades and other things.

Even though might take some learning, like Bison said is it can be a very rewarding game by giving you the opportunity to build a team the way you want and hopefully take them to the world series often.

MetalDog

I spent some time yesterday hiring Coaches and Managers to fill voids in the farm system.  I tried to get contracts with the guys that had the best overall ratings in the categories I was hiring for.  A couple of things 1) I noticed that there is a rating to teach Fielding, but no place to actually apply it.  Have you found that some of the categories that the Coach has that he is not hired for will be useful during the year?  2) I want to instill Pitching and defense as the philosophy of my organization.  So, with that in mind, I am hiring the best coaches in the minors that I can.  Do any of you play with a set philosophy?  And if so, do you find it bears out over the course of time?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Appreciate the quick reply from all my OOTP pals.  very helpful info, fellas ;)  Took some time to learn where all the screens are and what kind of order they are in when you go chasing something down the rabbit hole.  I started a new MLB season and took the Yankees.  I am concentrating on just handling the ML team and leaving the Minors to the AI.  I am leaving Roster moves in my control and financials, too.  I am trying to play one week at a time, simulated.  I keep getting interrupted by personal messages, but that's ok as it's information I need to know.  I did do one thing that made me smile.  I hired George Brett to coach one of my A League teams.  :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Sorry man.  Coaches do have an effect on the development of a player, but remember player stats and coaches abilities are an estimate.  Ultimately a player will develop if they are given playing time at a position, coach stats effect, and the hidden random nuances of the game.  I'm tired and cannot answer more fully but a search at the official ootp forums should yield you some very in-depth and comprehensive information.