Vietnam '65 announced @ Matrixgames/Slitherine

Started by steve58, January 12, 2015, 04:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 14, 2015, 10:03:33 AM
To be fair, the game in the first video was an early build that looked 'better', so not quite as OCD as it seems.  :))

First video is the PC build. Second is the iOS app

panzerde

#31
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 15, 2015, 10:05:52 PM
Interesting game, and I'm glad someone is doing something different. Having done counterinsurgency in Iraq and Afghanistan, this game hits home. I liked the mix of combat and logistics, something often overlooked with games. I find it satisfying to drop supplies to Soldiers who I've tasked to conduct a week-long movement to contact in search of NVA forces. I think about when I was the guy on the ground and how I felt getting resupply after a week of combat operations.

That sounds very promising. Getting the balance between the "exciting bits" of blowing stuff up and portraying enough logistics to make it interesting and deep without turning the game into a spreadsheet is a tough thing to do. I would not have guessed from the screenshots that this game was even attempting it, let alone doing a decent job of it.


Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 15, 2015, 10:05:52 PM
I think there needs to be more depth, especially in terms of intelligence gathering - right now you either gather intelligence or you don't. Villages are either friendly or not. Regardless you never get information from villages.

This seems a must for a game depicting Vietnam. I hope something along these lines is added.

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 15, 2015, 10:05:52 PM
I'm glad this guy got picked up by Slitherine, hopefully they can help him fill some of the gaps, maybe provide some artists.

I hope they can. I'm concerned that the changes in the UI and depiction of units etc. between the two iterations shown in the videos suggest things are headed toward "tablet game" and not something as promising as what you and JH are talking about. I play some ugly games, but I'd rather that they be deeper and military graphics ugly than badly drawn sprites ugly. Sounds like there might be more here than meets the eye.

Edit: Posted while Apocalypse 31 was posting about the two videos. If these aren't two iterations of the game but rather the difference between the PC version and the tablet version, I'm much, much more enthused and encouraged about this.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Apocalypse 31

#32
QuoteThat sounds very promising. Getting the balance between the "exciting bits" of blowing stuff up and portraying enough logistics to make it interesting and deep without turning the game into a spreadsheet is a tough thing to do.

I think it also feeds into the Vietnam theme and fighting a counterinsurgency. Sometimes there is no true glory.

During my time playing, I ran a few week-long operations in order to seek and destroy the NVA. I found nothing and killed nothing. During that time, I lost men to booby taps and I spent most of my efforts figuring out ways to resupply the units. No glory.

At the same time it was challenging, and it stimulated me like few other games have.

QuoteI would not have guessed from the screenshots that this game was even attempting it, let alone doing a decent job of it.

It has lots of promise. As stated in my previous post, it just needs more depth and feedback so the player can make informed decisions.

Edit: I should probably explain. It's been a while so I may give bad information

Each turn is one day.
Regular Army units can sustain 3 days of supply
Ranger units can sustain for 5 days.
Main bases will generate supplies
Units can be resupplied on a base, or by helicopter.
the type of helicopter determines how much supply you get.
Heavy lift helicopters can travel much further in a single turn. This is important
There are also firebases and patrol bases that can stockpile supplies, but will not generate supplies
Engineer units can build roads and fire bases
There are also artillery units that can provide fire missions, but require ammo - different than supplies

The objective is to have more village-support than the NVA. you achieved this by sending units to villages and destroying NVA units near those village. However, your units will need resupply every 3-5 days. And the sector is very large.

During my most effective game I was only able to support 2 firebases with 3 companies of infantry. Eventually it became a logistical nightmare and I lost all support because I was stretched too far.

tgb

Considering this has already been available, I wonder what the point of having testers sign an NDA is, unless they are making significant changes.

fabius

Sounds like a game that could draw me in. Soldier bios could help with that.

I actually liked the map look of the early version. Either way, considering the lack of 'Nam games I WILL get this unless it stinks.

Vietnam65

Hi everyone, apologies for weighing in so late on this topic, been rather busy in the Slitherine Beta forum  ;)

Have a read at this interview, might give you a great perspective on the issue of the board game feel versus the 3D feel....

http://wargamer.com/article/3762/interview-trailing-ho-chi-minh


I coded the prototype myself but having said that am very proud of the product now going to market, I can assure you only one thing, it's definitely not like the prevailing stock of war games on the iPad.



tgb

I like the looks of that and am looking forward to getting my mitts on the beta.

Vietnam65


jomni


tgb

Quote from: Vietnam65 on January 25, 2015, 05:21:18 AM
PC beta should be out tomorrow ... :)

Is it going to everyone who applied, or being released in waves?

Vietnam65

Slitherine selects the testers, I just follow orders ....   :)

fabius

Quote from: Vietnam65 on January 25, 2015, 04:07:16 AM
Hi everyone, apologies for weighing in so late on this topic, been rather busy in the Slitherine Beta forum  ;)

Have a read at this interview, might give you a great perspective on the issue of the board game feel versus the 3D feel....

http://wargamer.com/article/3762/interview-trailing-ho-chi-minh


I coded the prototype myself but having said that am very proud of the product now going to market, I can assure you only one thing, it's definitely not like the prevailing stock of war games on the iPad.

That article has pushed this up to top of my wish list.
QuoteIt includes all the iconic features of the Vietnam War, including inter alia: Fire support bases, airstrikes, training ARVN forces, intelligence gathering, special forces, mines and booby traps, NVA offensives, search and destroy missions, MEDEVACS, Ho chi Minh trail etc.

MEDEVACS !! I remember playing a Lynx flight sim just to do medevacs

Good luck with your release in March!

By the way, I gather that Battles are around 2 hours on randomly generated maps. Do the battles link for a longer campaign context?

Vietnam65

Yes, I am a Groghead....  :)

I even get the helicopters to change to medevac choppers when they pick up wounded units, I understand ....

As for a campaign, not yet.......  ;)  ;)

tgb

I get the impression that while it's not a "light "game necessarily, it can be completed in 2-3 hours and replayability comes from randomization on the map. True?