To End All Wars released today

Started by Boggit, August 26, 2014, 04:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

#105
Breaking the Deadlock expansion announced.

Quote
As the advancing central powers got bogged down across Europe and the troops were digging in to their trenches, a stalemate formed and the hopes of a quick victory were dashed on both sides. When all was quiet on the western front however, both the Central Powers and the Entente kept looking for opportunities gain the advantage elsewhere. Seeking out new allies in the Balkan region, launching campaigns in the Middle-East and aiming for breakthroughs on many different fronts. All this was done with only one goal in mind: Breaking the Deadlock.

To End All Wars: Breaking the Deadlock is the first expansion to the most detailed World War One wargame ever created. Adding 5 completely new scenarios, this expansion aims to vastly increase the content in-game, giving players the option to focus on specific campaigns in Italy, the Balkans and even the Middle-East. In addition, the expansion also allows for the grand campaign to be started in 1916, allowing him to seek out his own opportunities to overcome the stalemate and win the War to End all Wars.

Breaking the Deadlock comes with five new scenarios:

SERBIA 1915 - 12 turns

Following the British assaults on the Ottomans in 1915, the Central Powers seek to secure a rail line into Ottoman territory, in order to be able to assist them in sending aid to their struggling ally. As a result,  a new major offensive was launched against Serbia and this time the small Serbian nation is also attacked from the Bulgarian front.

RUMANIA 1916  - 30 turns

Witnessing several hardships of the Central Powers in 1916, the Romanian government considered that now was the time to join the Russians and seize Transylvania. The Romanian army was in high spirits and would be able to quickly deal with the only Austrian army in the area, but how long would it last until German reinforcements would join the fight?

CAPORETTO 1917 - 8 turns

This small auctioned-packed scenario takes place in northern Italy, where a combined Central force sought to deal a decisive blow to the Italian army, forcing a breakthrough and taking them out of the war. The Italian 2nd Army was ill-prepared to deal with the offensive, but military help from their allies was underway.

PALESTINE 1917-1918 - 24 turns

After the Gallipoli Campaign of 1915, veterans were dispatched to the Middle-East on each side, forming the Egyptian Expeditionary Force (EEF) for the British, and the Fourth Army in Palestine for the Ottomans, to fight for the Sinai Peninsula. In 1917, the British had moved into Ottoman territory, where they suffered two defeats at the Battles of Gaza. The Brits were determined to push on however and a new offensive was about to take place.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/557/details/To.End.All.Wars:.Breaking.the.Deadlock
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Slick Wilhelm

Huh, very interesting. The Palestine one could be a fun time. I'll buy it.  O0

MengJiao

Quote from: panzerde on August 30, 2014, 09:10:12 PM
I'm not sure that I'm ready to throw in the towel on this game yet, ...

  I threw in the towel on Civil War 2 -- I just couldn't stop the Confederates from migrating north and dying slowly in the hills of Pennsylvania.
I had Richmond and was cleaning up the Mississippi, so it was getting kind of depressing.  In the end I've given up on every Ageod game I've ever played except for Rise of Prussia.

  Meanwhile, back in To end all Wars:  I'm having fun as the Russians so far. (It's still August)

kassdhal

IS this game any good? I have World War 1 Centennial Edition which I really liked and TEAW seems less developped... has someone tried both?

mikeck

That's a really subjective question. I love AGEODS games. After the latest patch, I think the game does a good job of replicating the stagnant warfare. There is a lot more to do (than WW1) relating to supply, army reorganization and there are a ton of events and actions you can choose. I find it a far more "fun" game than WW1 gold. That said, I think WW1 gold is a better "simulation" of the war in terms of planning grand offenses and tech. But yes, it is a good game patched

If you have never liked AGEOD games,  then there's no reason why you would like this
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Boggit

Quote from: kassdhal on February 13, 2015, 06:04:56 PM
IS this game any good? I have World War 1 Centennial Edition which I really liked and TEAW seems less developped... has someone tried both?
I have both. They are at different scales. Centennial Edition is played at the Army level, whereas TEAW plays at the Divisional/Corps level.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

kassdhal

Quote from: Boggit on February 13, 2015, 08:48:13 PM
Quote from: kassdhal on February 13, 2015, 06:04:56 PM
IS this game any good? I have World War 1 Centennial Edition which I really liked and TEAW seems less developped... has someone tried both?
I have both. They are at different scales. Centennial Edition is played at the Army level, whereas TEAW plays at the Divisional/Corps level.

Thanks :)
I think WW1CE is really good as it is, so I'll probably pass on this one then

Philippe

Now that a little time has gone by, how do people feel about the expansion?

I'm considering throwing the Matrix coupon at it, but I still haven't gotten around to playing the base game yet.

I love what Ageod tries to do (apart from their combat resolution), but they're a very small shop and they seem always to have too many irons in the fire and not enough resources to completely execute their projects. 

I'm a compulsive collector of WW I games.  France '14 is my favorite, Steam and Iron is very, very good,  I rather like Strategic Command Breakthrough (with or without my graphics mods), Commander Great War is ok but not exciting, and I've never been able to get comfortable with the combat resolution system in WW I Gold and the probably superior WW I CE (suspect that the quirky combat system in those two games has more to do with simulating a boardgame combat resolution system than what was actually happening on the ground -- the thing that turned me off to Avalon Hill combat resolution tables 50+ years ago and made me fall in love with Ty Bomba's approach to designing wargames, even when I didn't like the end result).

[I'm not completely comfortable with the Squad Battles system, but First World War is very interesting.  I haven't played East Prussia '14 yet because I want to overhaul my France '14 mod first and I'll do East Prussia at the same time (being forced to stare at hex grids all the time does bad things to immersion).  My original plan was to work on those after I finish my Peninsular War mod, but I'm temporarily burned out on Napoleonics and I'm not going to have an easy time adapting it to one of my mods. ]
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

bbmike

Yeah, I'm leaning towards getting this with the sale but there are other tempting choices as well.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Boggit

Quote from: Philippe on April 03, 2015, 12:30:04 PM
I rather like Strategic Command Breakthrough (with or without my graphics mods)
Any chance you can post some screenshots of you graphic mods with a download link?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Philippe

All of those mods are at the Battlefront repository.



For WW I, check out the three Marsden Hartley mods.  I use a painting by Marsden Hartley instead of screenshots.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=40&orderby=2&page=3



If you're interested in WW II you might look at the Storm over Europe Historical flags mod for the same game (screenshots in the post). 

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=40&orderby=2&page=4



There's also a mod for Assault on Democracy called World at War Historical Flags

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=select&id=55

There is an wilder and more advanced version of that mod sitting on my computer that I rather like the looks of, but I'll need to find time to play about fifteen turns of the game to test out one of its (minor) features.  I'm also struggling to find a new way to represent some of the 2D Nato-style symbols.  The problem I'm having is with the crossed rifle symbol for infantry, and it has more to do with not having fully grown into my new computer than anything else (drawing thick diagonal lines that don't look jagged).  I'm reluctant to finish the mod on my old computer, but I may have to. I really like my ship and airplane symbols, and it's annoying not to use them.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on April 03, 2015, 12:30:04 PM
Now that a little time has gone by, how do people feel about the expansion?

I'm considering throwing the Matrix coupon at it, but I still haven't gotten around to playing the base game yet.

I love what Ageod tries to do (apart from their combat resolution), but they're a very small shop and they seem always to have too many irons in the fire and not enough resources to completely execute their projects. 

I'm a compulsive collector of WW I games.  France '14 is my favorite, Steam and Iron is very, very good,  I rather like Strategic Command Breakthrough (with or without my graphics mods), Commander Great War is ok but not exciting, and I've never been able to get comfortable with the combat resolution system in WW I Gold and the probably superior WW I CE (suspect that the quirky combat system in those two games has more to do with simulating a boardgame combat resolution system than what was actually happening on the ground -- the thing that turned me off to Avalon Hill combat resolution tables 50+ years ago and made me fall in love with Ty Bomba's approach to designing wargames, even when I didn't like the end result).

[I'm not completely comfortable with the Squad Battles system, but First World War is very interesting.  I haven't played East Prussia '14 yet because I want to overhaul my France '14 mod first and I'll do East Prussia at the same time (being forced to stare at hex grids all the time does bad things to immersion).  My original plan was to work on those after I finish my Peninsular War mod, but I'm temporarily burned out on Napoleonics and I'm not going to have an easy time adapting it to one of my mods. ]

I'm not particularly interested in WWI, but France '14 is such a fine game that I gave To End All Wars a try.  I even got the expansion.  I did not find that either TEAW or the expansion held my interest despite all my best efforts.

Sorry if this all sounds irrational, but that's the way I play.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

^This mod looks really good.  Thanks for sharing.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk