Combat Mission: Black Sea Up for Pre-Order

Started by Cyrano, November 05, 2014, 12:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mikeck

Ok, I'm a little behind on my battlefront forum reading, but is there a particular reason I should be expecting this game to be released today or soon? I saw something's mentioned in this thread but cant find anything on the Battlefront forum
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Cyrano

They announced a few days ago that they were at final candidate which, typically, has meant "a few more days".

We are in said window...although the definition of "few" has proven elastic.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Great Ajax

Dudes!  I'm downloading!  Check your email links.

Trey

RyanE


JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Cyrano

AAAAAAGH trapped at work!!

AAAAAAGH!!

OK, not the adult response I was hoping for, but there it is...

Who's up for a game tonight?

WOOT!

Jim
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

endfire79

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2015, 05:27:36 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on January 29, 2015, 05:19:35 PM
I definitely want lots of uninformed opinions about how this is the most inaccurate depiction of warfare that hasn't happened ever...ever...

Also, many comments decrying the lack of that one weapon system from that one time ten years ago that this one country thought should be deployed if only it had the money but didn't...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Personally, I don't care how authentic it actually is so long as it is close enough to be credible. For me, this game is all about the advanced military hardware p0rn.

I haven't been on any CM games in a long time, I think  I'm not getting the jokes.  Seriously what happened with Battlefront? 

This latest addition looks nice though, perfect timing with what's going on over in that part of the world :)
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Cyrano

*DISCLAIMER: I am an immense fan of the CM family of products.*

Battlefront is playing in the deep end of the PC gaming pool in terms of verisimilitude and even, in a measure, simulation.  Over the many years of the various CM engines' existences (dating back to CM:BO) there have been many mighty debates about whether this should kill that, whether this had that armament, whether this particular piece of kit was under- or over-priced for cherry-pick battles, &c.  Some of these debates have been very productive and even brought changes in patches and even whole engines -- "borg" spotting and how to best be rid of it is one I remember well but there have been lots of others.

Others have devolved into tedious "'tis" versus "t'aint" messes that served little purpose other than to aggravate.    It's just an impression, mind, but I think the modern games have had the worst of this as a) there are a lot of people into computers right now who actually designed, jockeyed, read about, fought against these systems and b) and, this is particularly the case for CM:BS, there are people on both sides of the real life political conflagration -- some of whom are proud nationalists -- that haven't taken the discourse into edifying directions.

That, with a healthy dose of know-it-all-ism born of the internet can be a toxic brew.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

endfire79

Hmm sounds like a hoot!   ;)

I really like CM:BB back in the day, but didn't have time to get back into the franchise in the years later.  I might just give this a try soon (that is a few weeks after junior comes out).  The contemporary setting/backdrop is drawing me in.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

JudgeDredd

I love the games for what they are. I don't rivet count or over analyse

I wish they would fix the "can't spot troops in the second floor of a building that are shooting at you because you can't see the ground floor" though. You just get murdered.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

RyanE

#116
On the download...it is horrendous.  I am getting spikes of 1Mb/sec, but the majority of time it is sub-300kb.  I was at 90% when it suddenly went to 0 and never recovered.  I have tried 6-7 times now and it is slow as crap.  I just did a connection test by downloading a Matrix game and it zipped right through.  Not sure what kind of servers BFC is using, but they suck.  I would like to think they know how many people have preordered and would have the resources to handle it.

Just tried again on another network hardwired and I am averaging 180kb/sec.  Maybe they need to torrent it.

endfire79

Do they offer the option to torrent their download?
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

RyanE

Well its holding at above 1 meg on the latest try.  I think someone somewhere threw a switch.