Homeworld Remastered Available for Pre-Order

Started by Jarhead0331, January 25, 2015, 02:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

Well, if you're like me, you will be stuck on every mission for a while...sh*t is hard

I fired up a skirmish with the graphics turned up last night and I still think there are very few games that have better graphics or are more beautiful
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: jomni on February 27, 2015, 08:20:29 AM
I'm now stuck on that asteroid blasting mission.

this level is why you need to steal as many ships as possible on  the Bridge of Sighs level.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Skwerl

Guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding Homeworld Remastered.

First - will my current system run it?  I exceed the minimum specs, but do you think it will actually run it in a reasonably acceptable manner.  Here are my specs:

2.4 GHZ Quad Core
3 GB RAM
Vista 32 bit with Service Pack 2
NVidia GTX 260

By the way, I'm well aware that this is an ancient rig.

Second - Is the game worth buying at this point?  The Steam forums are absolutely brimming over with hatred for this game (and for Gearbox).  Is it as fundamentally broken as these rabid posts make it appear?

Thanks

LongBlade

Quote from: Skwerl on February 27, 2015, 10:25:47 AM
Guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding Homeworld Remastered.

First - will my current system run it?  I exceed the minimum specs, but do you think it will actually run it in a reasonably acceptable manner.  Here are my specs:

2.4 GHZ Quad Core
3 GB RAM
Vista 32 bit with Service Pack 2
NVidia GTX 260

By the way, I'm well aware that this is an ancient rig.

Second - Is the game worth buying at this point?  The Steam forums are absolutely brimming over with hatred for this game (and for Gearbox).  Is it as fundamentally broken as these rabid posts make it appear?

Thanks

System Requirements from Steam:

QuoteMINIMUM:

OS: Windows Vista
Processor: 2.2GHz Dual Core Processor
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD4800 (512MB)
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Additional Notes: * Game engine uses OpenGL3.3 It is important that you get the latest drivers for your video card to ensure compatibility with this product.

RECOMMENDED:

OS: Windows 7
Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core Processor
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB VRAM)
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space
Additional Notes: * Game engine uses OpenGL3.3 It is important that you get the latest drivers for your video card to ensure compatibility with this product.

I *think* you should be fine. Looking at Nvidia's website (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-260/specifications) if I'm reading it correctly you have 896MB video RAM (this is a weird number and is throwing me off). The minimum is 512 MB so I think you'll be OK. You'll be close to rock bottom specs but I think you'll pass. It clearly does support your OS and your quad core should be fine.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Skwerl

Longblade,

Thanks for the quick reply.  That card does have 896 MB of video RAM. 

LongBlade

Quote from: Skwerl on February 27, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Longblade,

Thanks for the quick reply.  That card does have 896 MB of video RAM.

You're welcome :)

It looks like you'll be fine. Just don't try to run the graphics maxed out.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

I would ignore the morons posting negative things about the game.  chances are theyre idiots who got their asses kicked by the AI.
having said that I'll admit that this is possibly my favorite game ever so I'm a bit biased.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Gusington

I don't understand all the hate for it...it's not like its a TW game. I thought CA had the market cornered on getting flamed on game boards.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

But it puts all the total war hate in perspective. Even a game which is fabulous has a large amount of people on there who just want to bitch about something. Total war games are the same.  yes they have bugs yes they have issues, but people come on forums like this and say "well everyone at the Steam (or TW)  form says it sucks" well yeah most of them say Homeworld sucks... so what
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on February 27, 2015, 12:29:33 PM
But it puts all the total war hate in perspective. Even a game which is fabulous has a large amount of people on there who just want to bitch about something.

Some people are so lame that all they want to do is set the world on fire to watch it burn.

I feel sorry for them. Nothing better to do than bleed negativity. What kind of life is that?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

sandman2575

Steam forums are a cesspool of trolling and misinformation. I try to steer clear as much as I can, and regard anything I do read there with abundant skepticism...

undercovergeek

i had a moment of weakness last week and considered buying into Massive Chalice, heard lots of goods things - made the mistake of reading the steam forum for the game, still recovering and didnt actually buy it


GDS_Starfury

as I play through the first HW again I think its worth mentioning that you shouldnt always go for bigger and better when the game wants you to.  15 to 20 heavy corvettes split into 2 groups may not be better then 64 fighters split into 8 groups and hotkeyed.   Im also being reminded that a lot of early battles are best fought from the strategic screen.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


jomni

I am now being harassed by fighters and can't counter them with my ION Frigates.  O0
Got to go back a few missions and rebuild my fleet.  :'(

GDS_Starfury

I caught myself early and only had to go back 1 mission.
get at least 6 salvage vettes early and fill out your allotment as soon as you can.  Im going to set myself up right for the Kadesh mission.  kill the fuel tankers and snag those multi-beam frigates!  Love those fuckers!!!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.