Main Menu

Sid Meier's Starships

Started by Anguille, January 19, 2015, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2015, 11:16:13 AM
Looks like GMG has a direct download option...is it possible to just download and play now and then activate on steam later?

Just tried that and it took me to the GMG page that describes Steam downloading.  :buck2:

Steam itself says that game doesn't unlock for about an hour yet.... maybe that's why? No early loading....  ???

It is out for the iPad now though....

Tpek

I already got my key from GMG.
It's still locked on Steam though.

Barthheart

Live now.
I'm downloading.....

Arctic Blast

I got an email with my Steam key once the game unlocked. Downloading now.  :)

steve58

#154
Got my key as well and downloaded.  Lots of people (myself included) are getting crash to desktop right after seeing the 2 sets of logos.  On my PC (Win 7 64-bit), I also see a beginning cinematic of a planet.  I found that hitting ESC right when I see the planet gets me to the Menu without a crash.  Hope it works better than this once I get into it...

...also seems running the 32-bit version .exe gets it up and running to the menu without crashing.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bbmike

Running ok for me. So far a very different feeling game and it does have that 'one more turn' feeling for now. Not sure how much re-playability is here since there must be a limited number of missions. I'm having fun for now though!

Gripes: Can't rename ships or planets!? And looking at the install folder I don't see anything that could be modded. In fact, there isn't much in the install folder at all!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Shelldrake

I also have my key but will have to wait until this evening to play.  :tickedoff:
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bbmike

A nice tip, you can press the F11 function key to jump from fullscreen to window mode.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on March 12, 2015, 01:15:21 PM
A nice tip, you can press the F11 function key to jump from fullscreen to window mode.

"Full screen" is also just a full screen window, so you can alt tab out easily.

tgb

I loaded it up and started a game on Hard, since I had been reading how easy "Normal" difficulty is.  I played one battle where I was given a 29% chance of success, and I did lose one ship before winning the battle with a squadron of fighters(!)

At the end of the battle the ship that was "destroyed" was magically returned to me.  Is that WAD? Seems to me that  if you get your destroyed ships back after a battle, there's no way to lose the game.

Other than that it was pretty much what I expected it to be based on the videos over the last few weeks.  I don't regret the pre-order, but might have if it was $30 or $40 instead of $11.

bbmike

Yeah, I just lost a ship in battle and the other one survived. But for some reason I had the destroyed one back after the battle. Also, do planets always have missions even when you clear them? I cleared one and went to go back and the same mission was active!  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Wolfe1759

Is it as bad as the Steam threads / reviews are saying it is?
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Gusington

^Are the threads that bad? Oh dear. Was going to fire this up later...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Yes the no perma death on ships is WAD. Not sure why they went that way but there ya go.
Yes missions will keep appearing until you absorb them into your empire. Not always the same mission though.

It's a light game. Fun and it has some depth but it's not Civ in space.

Barthheart

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on March 12, 2015, 05:43:56 PM
Is it as bad as the Steam threads / reviews are saying it is?

It's just the normal Steam winner brigade noise.