Main Menu

Cities: Skylines

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 06, 2015, 07:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 12, 2015, 08:55:18 AM
aight. I was kind of holding short of fully recommending it because it's early days - but I have most definitely not been disappointed by any aspect of it.

Oh - and I mentioned earlier about the tweet thingy - it actually is somewhat repetitive - but I still don't mind it and don't envisage switching it off

The one thing I do tend to want to do is upgrade roads. But often just removing a road and putting a new one down (even of the same width...like a two way road to a one way dual lane road) seems to destroy the buildings either side.

I guess what I'm going to have to do is build other areas and close some places down to ease congestion. I did build a bus terminus and put stops in on two routes and that eased it somewhat.

Also - I'm unsure of the benefits of paths for pedestrians

I think I just need to learn not to pack everything in - leave gaps, no over crowding. but of course, that will affect your public services (you need more for a larger area)...

Great game. Huge thumbs up.


The tweet thing does not bother me, kind of a clever way to give you quick feedback on the things you do.  I am a little surprised about how easy the game is to navigate and manage... it makes the game fun and relaxing.  I have to say, maybe my low expectations, but so far the game has exceeded them for me.... far beyond what I expected.  I've looked for something to complain about and have not found it.... recommended.


PE

WallysWorld

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 12, 2015, 08:55:18 AM
The one thing I do tend to want to do is upgrade roads. But often just removing a road and putting a new one down (even of the same width...like a two way road to a one way dual lane road) seems to destroy the buildings either side.

I heard on one Youtube review that upgrading a road will destroy the buildings around it, but the game will replace the buildings with new ones of the same type automatically.

I heard of issues with traffic piling up in one lane even though other lanes are free. Has anyone noticed that since I don't have the game? The developers are supposedly working on a patch to fix that.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: WallysWorld on March 12, 2015, 09:19:00 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 12, 2015, 08:55:18 AM
The one thing I do tend to want to do is upgrade roads. But often just removing a road and putting a new one down (even of the same width...like a two way road to a one way dual lane road) seems to destroy the buildings either side.

I heard on one Youtube review that upgrading a road will destroy the buildings around it, but the game will replace the buildings with new ones of the same type automatically.

I heard of issues with traffic piling up in one lane even though other lanes are free. Has anyone noticed that since I don't have the game? The developers are supposedly working on a patch to fix that.
That is true - it does replace the buildings with the same kind

I can't say I've noticed the latter
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 12, 2015, 08:55:18 AM
Also - I'm unsure of the benefits of paths for pedestrians

My local council seem to be equally baffled.

JudgeDredd

#64
lol

I will post here now and again things I would like to see...

1. the road direction when in bus mode. Currently, if you go into public transport mode the map goes white and you can't tell the direction of the roads. So if you've got one way system and forget where they are, it plays havoc with the position of your bus stops because the only time you know about it is your bus route doing an extra long loop. And the trouble is, by that time, you might be committed to a route (have lots od stops) and not want to go down the one way.

2. It's quite difficult (fiddly) to modify bus routes when they "overlap" or run along the same road
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Martok

Damn.  The game currently has an average user score of a whopping 9.6 on Metacritic.  :o  That may be the highest I've ever seen on that site. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

sat here with funds burning a hole in my [ocket - this or CMBS?!?!?!?

PanzersEast


JudgeDredd

Ooops


Heading back


What a view

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 12, 2015, 03:46:52 PM
sat here with funds burning a hole in my [ocket - this or CMBS?!?!?!?
ouch - you don't have CM:BS

That is a tough call...both games are superb. I don't envy your choice
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

the decision is only seperated by 7 days but still a tough one

JudgeDredd

#71
I'm a bit lost with road building. Seemingly, I'm trying to be more extravagant and I'm trying to connect to the highway running along my area...but intersections won't work (space already occupied) and in any road (pun intended) I can't seem to get a road to auto build a bridge over a rail track...and I can't find a bridging tool (bridges are auto built when spanning a river)

Any ideas?

Found it - use Page Up and Page Down for elevated roads

Still can't seem to get an intersection built on the current highway
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Lowenstaat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 12, 2015, 04:29:43 PM
I'm a bit lost with road building...

Still can't seem to get an intersection built on the current highway

I had the same problem. I just deleted a section of the highway, placed the desired intersection, then attached the highway to the intersection. Traffic resumed normally.
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

JudgeDredd

Yep - discovered that last night. Thank you.

I royally screwed that side of my town up though because I seemed to desperately wanted to use all the land...but there was a railway right close to the highway and in the end I spent a shed load of money (wasted) on trying various things to get the road to go over the railway and join the intersection. I eventually got it done, but I wasted a load of cash.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Bison

There are a few features from the previous Cities editions that I miss.  1.  I hate the blurred effect when zoomed in.  The older games there was a check on/off in the options to remove this feature.  Personally I think it makes the zoomed in graphics look like crappola.  2.  I might be missing something but I don't think you can do an industrial zone painting when the resource overlay is active.  Why?  So I haven't set any specialization zones up yet, because I want to know where the resource boundaries are when I paint them.  Also it appears that they have removed some of the building options and replaced them with auto actions of building industrial zones.  I just like more control.  3.  Roadway intersections.  It was like this in the previous editions too.  The roundabouts are HUGE.  I want a smaller roundabout that doesn't consume so much space.  Stoplights.  Please for the love of god give me an option for stoplights/sign to control traffic congestion. 

All that being said.  This is shaping up to be the best city building simulation since SimCity 4.