Main Menu

Cities: Skylines

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 06, 2015, 07:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Thought I read somewhere that this game has nothing to do with the Cities:XL (or whatever) series. This is supposed to be by a different company....  ???

steve58

^The devs of Cities Skylines also did Cities in Motion I and II.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Rangebound

Quote from: Bison on March 13, 2015, 07:56:19 AM
There are a few features from the previous Cities editions that I miss.  1.  I hate the blurred effect when zoomed in.  The older games there was a check on/off in the options to remove this feature.  Personally I think it makes the zoomed in graphics look like crappola. 2.  I might be missing something but I don't think you can do an industrial zone painting when the resource overlay is active.  Why?  So I haven't set any specialization zones up yet, because I want to know where the resource boundaries are when I paint them.  Also it appears that they have removed some of the building options and replaced them with auto actions of building industrial zones.  I just like more control.  3.  Roadway intersections.  It was like this in the previous editions too.  The roundabouts are HUGE.  I want a smaller roundabout that doesn't consume so much space.  Stoplights.  Please for the love of god give me an option for stoplights/sign to control traffic congestion. 

All that being said.  This is shaping up to be the best city building simulation since SimCity 4.


Under options -> graphics, move the slider on "Tilt Shift Amount" all the way to the left (to remove 100% of the blur effect).

JudgeDredd

I like the bur effect I have to say - it fits with the gamey look
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

Quote from: Rangebound on March 13, 2015, 09:12:18 AM
Quote from: Bison on March 13, 2015, 07:56:19 AM
There are a few features from the previous Cities editions that I miss.  1.  I hate the blurred effect when zoomed in.  The older games there was a check on/off in the options to remove this feature.  Personally I think it makes the zoomed in graphics look like crappola. 2.  I might be missing something but I don't think you can do an industrial zone painting when the resource overlay is active.  Why?  So I haven't set any specialization zones up yet, because I want to know where the resource boundaries are when I paint them.  Also it appears that they have removed some of the building options and replaced them with auto actions of building industrial zones.  I just like more control.  3.  Roadway intersections.  It was like this in the previous editions too.  The roundabouts are HUGE.  I want a smaller roundabout that doesn't consume so much space.  Stoplights.  Please for the love of god give me an option for stoplights/sign to control traffic congestion. 

All that being said.  This is shaping up to be the best city building simulation since SimCity 4.


Under options -> graphics, move the slider on "Tilt Shift Amount" all the way to the left (to remove 100% of the blur effect).

Hey welcome Rangebound and thanks for the tip.... not making it easy for me not to buy....  :P

Capn Darwin

Has anyone tried any of the mods on Steam yet? Any really good ones to use?
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Capn Darwin on March 13, 2015, 11:44:42 AM
Has anyone tried any of the mods on Steam yet? Any really good ones to use?

Apparently there's an autosave mod which some consider essential, although autosaving is planned to be officially added to the game at some point.

tgb

One thing about the autosave mod is it creates a new slot every time, eating up disk space.  Plus there doesn't seem to be a way of easily deleting old saved games.  I'm thinking about turning the mod off for my next game.

Bison

Quote from: Barthheart on March 13, 2015, 08:31:42 AM
Thought I read somewhere that this game has nothing to do with the Cities:XL (or whatever) series. This is supposed to be by a different company....  ???

They have to have bought the IP, but I'm not sure I guess.

Bison

Quote from: Rangebound on March 13, 2015, 09:12:18 AM
Under options -> graphics, move the slider on "Tilt Shift Amount" all the way to the left (to remove 100% of the blur effect).

Awesome!  Thanks dude.

DennisS

I have watched a TON of youtube videos on this one. I also played the hell out of all the Sim City variants. This one appears to be the real deal, and MUCH better than the various city builders that have come before.

I just read that they (the developers) have already sold 300,000+ copies of this game, and going very strong.

JudgeDredd

I am getting further and further into this and now I'm noticing a few things...mostly minor, but my main issue is workers. I apparently don't have enough workers and I'm spending an awful lot of my time destroying abandoned buildings.

I've got mass transport WITH stops at residential places and stopping at these industry areas. I've got a fair few busses. So I don't think there's a population issue. My land requirement is always being monitored and when I need more housing I build more - I don't let the situation get dire. I've also demolished a lot of low residential housing around these areas and built more high density residential.

I just can't seem to keep the number of workers up to the required...and like I said, a chunk of my time is just demolishing abandoned buildings
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

DennisS

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 14, 2015, 08:29:14 AM
I am getting further and further into this and now I'm noticing a few things...mostly minor, but my main issue is workers. I apparently don't have enough workers and I'm spending an awful lot of my time destroying abandoned buildings.

I've got mass transport WITH stops at residential places and stopping at these industry areas. I've got a fair few busses. So I don't think there's a population issue. My land requirement is always being monitored and when I need more housing I build more - I don't let the situation get dire. I've also demolished a lot of low residential housing around these areas and built more high density residential.

I just can't seem to keep the number of workers up to the required...and like I said, a chunk of my time is just demolishing abandoned buildings

There are visual clues, and others clues at well that can help you to judge when you need to add residential.

By clicking on the little icon next to your cities' name, you can see the total number of workers, and needed workers, and the unemployment rate.

Watch the industry for symbols, that specifically state their need for workers. This is the first clue that you need to take some actions.

IF you do find yourself with a worker shortage, increase your taxes. This will reduce your demand, and give yourself a nice boost in income. When the game gives you lemons....

JudgeDredd

This is what I mean


Most of those buildings round there have got NO workers...not a one. I even took some business tiles out and put some high density residential among them and I'm STILL demolishing buildings. I've also put a metro line in with a stop at each of the industry zones causing me problems and there's bus routes through there.

I am just constantly demolishing buildings around there.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

DennisS

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 15, 2015, 09:51:21 AM
This is what I mean


Most of those buildings round there have got NO workers...not a one. I even took some business tiles out and put some high density residential among them and I'm STILL demolishing buildings. I've also put a metro line in with a stop at each of the industry zones causing me problems and there's bus routes through there.

I am just constantly demolishing buildings around there.

I did load in a mod that automatically bulldozes burned and abandoned buildings...and it works like a champ. Perhaps this would help?