More lunacy from the team that brought you IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, April 01, 2015, 12:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

No, this isn't an April Fool's joke.  (at least I don't think it is).

Despite the fact that Battle of Stalingrad is still missing key features, the team is pushing ahead with their next release. Il-2: Battle of Moscow.  They want $80 for pre-orders and are offering up exactly the same stripped down gameplay and the latest in DX9 graphics! 

The real kicker, the map for the Battle of Moscow will not feature the city of Moscow.  Apparently they don't want people bombing most glorious Russian onion domes and are, as usual, actively banning anyone from their forum who even brings up the subject.

(Oh yeah, they've also posted a sticky saying anyone who questions the flight models in the game without providing peer-reviewed first hand documentary evidence to back up their assertions will also be banned.)

Huw the Poo


Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


sandman2575

I usually don't have buyer's remorse over games, but I definitely regret dropping $60 on BoS...

Battle of Moscow... fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

MengJiao

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 01, 2015, 12:17:40 PM
I usually don't have buyer's remorse over games, but I definitely regret dropping $60 on BoS...

Battle of Moscow... fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

  I cannot believe it, but I'm not buying Battle of Moscow.  I'm sticking to DCS for the time being.  I really only need 1 flight sim and flying
cranky jet fighters seems to cover my flight simming needs.

DoctorQuest

Yeah. I stopped with IL-2 1946. I'm good with that. Actually the most fun I have flying WWII is CFS3 and its mods. I am not a grafix snob and the gameplay is close to what I really liked about European Air War. I can just jump in and go shoot stuff.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 01, 2015, 12:17:40 PM
I usually don't have buyer's remorse over games, but I definitely regret dropping $60 on BoS...

Battle of Moscow... fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

BoS has so much potential.

And now they're dropping it far too early for something almost exactly the same.  :knuppel2:

Instead of purchasing their new game, I'll be eternally waiting on them to finish BoS.  May be waiting forever. 

Not sure if they ever changed the ridiculous ground handling of the aircraft in BoS.  I suspect that may be one point that made them so touchy.  I recall having to push my rudder pedals to the fookeen wall on every take-off due to their modelled tendency for the aircraft to do 'doughnuts' on the ground any time the engine was past idle, even with the tail wheel locked.  Was stupid, like some terrible Tokyo Drift movie.   ::) I saw mention of it being adjusted, but still saw people complaining afterward, so haven't revisited to see.   

Silent Disapproval Robot

I feel bad for possibly influencing others to pick it up back in the pre-release days.  The early stages showed promise as the flight models were very distinct and the AI generally put in a good showing during dogfights  AND you could actually customize graphics and gameplay.  Then they dropped the bomb when they finally unveiled what the single player game would look like and the wheels just fell off.

A lot of customers were holding out hope that the community could save the series once the editor was finally released but the devs managed to royally screw that up as well.

The editor itself is an overly complex, highly unintuitive mess and making even the simplest of missions is a chore.  What's worse is that the devs then said (despite earlier promises to the contrary) that no mods other than skins would be allowed.  People who were hoping that something like Pat Wilson's campaign generator for ROF would be released for BOS realized that without mods, this would never be a reality. 

I still cannot wrap my head around what the devs were thinking.  It should have been a no-brainer.  Make an ROF style game with WWII settings and put more emphasis on making the single player campaigns more immersive.  Instead we get this soulless abortion.  Frustrates me no end. 

sandman2575

Quote from: Nefaro on April 01, 2015, 02:02:11 PM
Not sure if they ever changed the ridiculous ground handling of the aircraft in BoS.

Well, Nef, all you have to do is dig up the relevant documentation from German and/or Russian military archives (you speak both languages fluently, yes?) detailing the ground handling performance of the relevant aircraft, along with affadavits from the nearest living descendants of German and/or Russian pilots attesting that said aircraft definitely were not so rudder-heavy during take-off, cross-checked against expert knowledge of aviation scholars at German and/or Russian military academies, and 777 will be happy to clear that all up for you in the next patch...

Gusington

I know what's at the top of my list for what I am not buying [probably] ever.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 01, 2015, 02:26:18 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 01, 2015, 02:02:11 PM
Not sure if they ever changed the ridiculous ground handling of the aircraft in BoS.

Well, Nef, all you have to do is dig up the relevant documentation from German and/or Russian military archives (you speak both languages fluently, yes?) detailing the ground handling performance of the relevant aircraft, along with affadavits from the nearest living descendants of German and/or Russian pilots attesting that said aircraft definitely were not so rudder-heavy during take-off, cross-checked against expert knowledge of aviation scholars at German and/or Russian military academies, and 777 will be happy to clear that all up for you in the next patch...


LOL


You guys are absolutely correct. 

The policies of the devs/publisher screwed what could have been a superb sim.  The flying part is still great, last I played, but all the other half-assery and lockdown bullshit from whomever is running the show is shocking.

The only people they will have to blame, after their next title doesn't garner sales worth a shit, is themselves.

JudgeDredd

After CloD I was never going near BoS - and anything else that company did.

I know it wasn't that company that did CloD - but there was a crossover in development. CloD was dropped like a hot brick as well. Now this and then BoM. They won't stop until people stop buying their crap.

Having said that, I'm off to pick up BoS...I think it looks like the doggies doodahs O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

W8taminute

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 01, 2015, 12:17:40 PM
I usually don't have buyer's remorse over games, but I definitely regret dropping $60 on BoS...

Battle of Moscow... fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Same with me.  I wish I could get my 60 back and drop it on a real game like the upcoming Star Drive 2.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Swatter

I enjoyed IL-2 1946, but when I read about the focus on multiplayer for the future games of the franchise, I dropped it (caring about future titles) like a hot turd and never looked back.

If any of you follow game development and developers in general, you will find that a bunch of developers feel abused and oppressed by the fans of their games. They cite tweets and forum posters who make their lives hell and many are thinking of quitting the industry because of it. I think they are a bunch of giant babies. When twitter abuse becomes a grievance in your life, you have become a true baby. If you can't filter out twitter and forum idiots from your life, you need to pack up your internet life and just quit.

I think many developers simply can't take criticism well. I personally don't follow game forums for anything but specific feedback on my questions. I rarely ever get involved with game forum politics.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs