Main Menu

The Spatials

Started by DennisS, April 01, 2015, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DennisS

This is a new steam game, getting pretty good reviews.

Does anyone have this one yet? Here's the link to their website:

http://thespatials.com/

This appears to be a pretty decent RPG..a little on the light side, but with a fair amount of things to do.

Nefaro

Hrmmm... "innovative" real-time combat?




Freyland

Quote from: Nefaro on April 01, 2015, 07:31:18 PM
Hrmmm... "innovative" real-time combat?

Every time two enemy units meet, they play "rock, paper, scissors" to see who wins.

Nefaro

Admittedly, it does seem to have some depth.  Plus... LAZERGUNSPEWPEW!

At $10, it's probably worth a shot.  I don't really have any Space Station builder/manager style games. 

I was just a bit taken aback after seeing that it's fully real-time, when the 'away team' part looked so much like a turn-based tactical (TBT) game.

bbmike

Graphics look just like Star Command. Must be the same company?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on April 02, 2015, 03:53:21 PM
Graphics look just like Star Command. Must be the same company?

Dunno.  The gfx for The Spatials look more refined.  Maybe because they're at much higher res?

DennisS

I picked this up earlier this evening. Nice little strategy game..a little deeper than I first thought. One man band programmer, total file size 129 mb. Still..for what it does, it does pretty well.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: DennisS on April 02, 2015, 09:49:37 PM
I picked this up earlier this evening. Nice little strategy game..a little deeper than I first thought. One man band programmer, total file size 129 mb. Still..for what it does, it does pretty well.

I just picked this up myself and agree with DennisS.  Just getting into the building part.  You can't do much with your base until you complete away missions to win research points and unlock tech.  I just completed my first away mission which was easy;  beforehand I'd levelled up two of my crew to level 3 by sending them on (non-interactive) training missions.  I then sent them to a nearby planet and completed the "exploration" mission which involved killing a few of the natives.  That got me one research point...I need to do one more mission to gain another, at which point I'll be able to unlock the next tech.  That mission got me some nice loot too; stuff to be processed back at the base and new abilities for my officers.

Very nice little game, especially for this price, and runs like a dream.  I'll echo what so many reviews have said: "surprisingly deep".  I'm looking forward to seeing what else it has to offer.