Surface Pro 3 & tablet gaming

Started by Apocalypse 31, April 04, 2015, 05:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Apocalypse 31

My man-cave is awesome, and I enjoy spending time within in.
Wife complained that I spent too much time in it.
We came to a compromise, and I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, so I can play games on the couch and in the living room.
I receive the hardware; very smooth. 1.7ghz i7 processor, but overall doesn't run games very well.
While messing around I see an option on Steam to 'stream' games. What is this?
It turns out that my tablet will use the gaming rig in my office to run games, while using the tablet to view and control the games.
I'm basically running the game on my tablet.
I'm sitting on my couch running ArmA 3 on Ultra settings, using my tablet.

I'm not 'in touch' with technology, but I feel like this is some kind of scientific breakthrough. I'm also not sure which other tablets have this feature, but I find that its pretty awesome.

W8taminute

That's awesome and thanks for sharing.  How does the tablet work when it comes to having to right click or ctrl click on something though?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I've seen this on my SP3 also, but didn't realize what I was looking at!

I've heard there's a program (for free??) for Android and/or iOS which will do the same thing; accesses the base PC anywhere, the tablet just acts like another audio-visual output and control-input device.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: W8taminute on April 04, 2015, 07:29:06 PM
That's awesome and thanks for sharing.  How does the tablet work when it comes to having to right click or ctrl click on something though?

I have the Surface keyboard, and a wireless mouse hooked up.

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2015, 09:13:17 PM
I've seen this on my SP3 also, but didn't realize what I was looking at!

I've heard there's a program (for free??) for Android and/or iOS which will do the same thing; accesses the base PC anywhere, the tablet just acts like another audio-visual output and control-input device.

I found this but haven't investigated it yet.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

I have used splashtop and has worked for the things I tried....but was nothing really hardcore.

Anguille

#6
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 04, 2015, 05:17:14 PM
My man-cave is awesome, and I enjoy spending time within in.
Wife complained that I spent too much time in it.
We came to a compromise, and I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, so I can play games on the couch and in the living room.
I receive the hardware; very smooth. 1.7ghz i7 processor, but overall doesn't run games very well.
While messing around I see an option on Steam to 'stream' games. What is this?
It turns out that my tablet will use the gaming rig in my office to run games, while using the tablet to view and control the games.
I'm basically running the game on my tablet.
I'm sitting on my couch running ArmA 3 on Ultra settings, using my tablet.

I'm not 'in touch' with technology, but I feel like this is some kind of scientific breakthrough. I'm also not sure which other tablets have this feature, but I find that its pretty awesome.

I remember to have read this when it was released. It's not tablet specific. I think it works on any computer device within the household.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617&l=english

Staggerwing

I think Steam in-home streaming is only for Win7/8, Linux, OSx, and SteamOS client devices. The Surface should work if it is Win8 but the Steam client for Android and iOS probably won't. Anyone have a tablet w/ Windows RT to try?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Anguille on April 05, 2015, 01:02:15 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 04, 2015, 05:17:14 PM
My man-cave is awesome, and I enjoy spending time within in.
Wife complained that I spent too much time in it.
We came to a compromise, and I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, so I can play games on the couch and in the living room.
I receive the hardware; very smooth. 1.7ghz i7 processor, but overall doesn't run games very well.
While messing around I see an option on Steam to 'stream' games. What is this?
It turns out that my tablet will use the gaming rig in my office to run games, while using the tablet to view and control the games.
I'm basically running the game on my tablet.
I'm sitting on my couch running ArmA 3 on Ultra settings, using my tablet.

I'm not 'in touch' with technology, but I feel like this is some kind of scientific breakthrough. I'm also not sure which other tablets have this feature, but I find that its pretty awesome.

I remember to have read this when it was released. It's not tablet specific. I think it works on any computer device within the household.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617&l=english

Not just Steam specific, either .

Load a game into Steam as a 'non Steam game' and you can still stream via mobile device.

Nefaro

Out of curiosity, I tried the Steam game streaming feature from a desktop to my notebook a few times awhile back.  Didn't need to but I wanted to see how it would look using the better vid card and processor in my desktop.

The graphics came across more blurry.  There was also an occasional hiccup freeze.  While it worked, I don't plan on using it again unless I really needed to.

Swatter

#10
This sounds very cool, I have to look into it.

Edit- Let me modify my opinion some. Doing some research reveals these things run $800-$2000! Additions include a 100 and freaking 29 dollar keyboard. If you got all the accessories you might need, it would be close to $500 extra. For $2500 you can buy something from a high-end laptop builder made for gaming. I know that people talk about streaming gaming in this thread, but this thing is over-priced.

Nefaro

Quote from: Swatter on April 07, 2015, 04:28:23 PM
This sounds very cool, I have to look into it.

Edit- Let me modify my opinion some. Doing some research reveals these things run $800-$2000! Additions include a 100 and freaking 29 dollar keyboard. If you got all the accessories you might need, it would be close to $500 extra. For $2500 you can buy something from a high-end laptop builder made for gaming. I know that people talk about streaming gaming in this thread, but this thing is over-priced.

Yep.

That has always been my outlook on it.

I think people like the idea of using a touch screen on a large tablet, without the need to bother with accessories like a mouse.  I can see why that would be more convenient, but the price-to-performance just isn't there yet for gaming IMO.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Nefaro on April 07, 2015, 02:44:33 PM
The graphics came across more blurry.  There was also an occasional hiccup freeze.  While it worked, I don't plan on using it again unless I really needed to.

I've noticed that network speed plays a huge factor. I haven't experienced problems, with the exception of when my wife was streaming something from her ipad onto the apple tv.

Also, if you have a large number of wireless devices in your house. i try to practice wireless conservation within the house by turning off the wifi from devices that are not in use.

Staggerwing

The Steam Home streaming guidelines actually suggest using a wired setup between client rig, router, and game rig. 'powerline' style LAN extenders are suggested as well. Note that these sometimes do not work if your house's electrical system is not all on one panel, and power strips also interrupt the powerline adapters' ability to connect to each other.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus