Brother against brother

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 27, 2015, 06:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mad Russian

Every game is a trade off about what goes in the box when you sell it. I fully understand that having games for sale at Matrix myself.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

ERutins

I'm surprised to not see more discussion on this as it's releasing next week, so I'm going to try to fix that ;-)

First, have a look at the game:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/505/details/Brother.Against.Brother

Now be sure to also look at the amazing battle maps, battle histories and OOBs we've released.  They're linked in the product page above, but I'll link one in directly here:

First Manassas/First Bull Run Battle Map:  http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/art/BrotherAgainstBrother/BaB_BattleMap.jpg
Battle History and OOB: http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/art/BrotherAgainstBrother/First Manassas Map and Book.zip

We've also just posted the first battle report, covering Wilson's Creek.  In this report, GWgardner plays against the AI in this exciting battle from the Western Theater of the American Civil War.  Surprise attacks, flank marches and desperate fighting!  Read more here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3833438

Be sure to grab the Wilson's Creek Battle Map, OOB and History from the product page links above as you read along with the battle report!

Thanks for your time.

FlickJax

Quote from: ERutins on April 10, 2015, 07:21:43 AM
I'm surprised to not see more discussion on this as it's releasing next week, so I'm going to try to fix that ;-)

First, have a look at the game:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/505/details/Brother.Against.Brother

Now be sure to also look at the amazing battle maps, battle histories and OOBs we've released.  They're linked in the product page above, but I'll link one in directly here:

First Manassas/First Bull Run Battle Map:  http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/art/BrotherAgainstBrother/BaB_BattleMap.jpg
Battle History and OOB: http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/art/BrotherAgainstBrother/First Manassas Map and Book.zip

We've also just posted the first battle report, covering Wilson's Creek.  In this report, GWgardner plays against the AI in this exciting battle from the Western Theater of the American Civil War.  Surprise attacks, flank marches and desperate fighting!  Read more here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3833438

Be sure to grab the Wilson's Creek Battle Map, OOB and History from the product page links above as you read along with the battle report!

Thanks for your time.

I have the interest, but way too many games at the mo and the funds well......

bbmike

Erik, the Battle History and OOB link is broken.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: ERutins on April 10, 2015, 07:21:43 AM
I'm surprised to not see more discussion on this as it's releasing next week, so I'm going to try to fix that ;-)

First, have a look at the game:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/505/details/Brother.Against.Brother

Now be sure to also look at the amazing battle maps, battle histories and OOBs we've released.  They're linked in the product page above, but I'll link one in directly here:

First Manassas/First Bull Run Battle Map:  http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/art/BrotherAgainstBrother/BaB_BattleMap.jpg
Battle History and OOB: http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/art/BrotherAgainstBrother/First Manassas Map and Book.zip

We've also just posted the first battle report, covering Wilson's Creek.  In this report, GWgardner plays against the AI in this exciting battle from the Western Theater of the American Civil War.  Surprise attacks, flank marches and desperate fighting!  Read more here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3833438

Be sure to grab the Wilson's Creek Battle Map, OOB and History from the product page links above as you read along with the battle report!

Thanks for your time.

As a devoted ACW fan and matrix fanboi, I can tell you that I haven't been paying attention because this game has been I'm development for like 8 years. It's one of those..."I will believe it when I see it" things.
It looks great and I will buy it...I kind of just lost interest in talking about it 4 years ago. I think the game will be great and you guys will make $...just speaking for me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: bbmike on April 10, 2015, 07:32:17 AM
Erik, the Battle History and OOB link is broken.
The forum parser split the end off the path:  Just C+P the whole link, or use:

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/art/BrotherAgainstBrother/First Manassas Map and Book.zip

into the browser and it will download the package.

Cheers

Pip

Toonces

I'm pretty stoked on this game.  I have several Tiller/HPS ACW games and I've had a lot of trouble getting into them due to the interface.  I am really hoping that this game will fill that void in my gaming library.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the HPS games, or that this game is better.  I just have had trouble finding a hex-and-counter ACW game that I enjoy.  So I have high hopes for this!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rayfer

Quote from: Toonces on April 10, 2015, 11:20:13 PM
I'm pretty stoked on this game.  I have several Tiller/HPS ACW games and I've had a lot of trouble getting into them due to the interface.  I am really hoping that this game will fill that void in my gaming library.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the HPS games, or that this game is better.  I just have had trouble finding a hex-and-counter ACW game that I enjoy.  So I have high hopes for this!

A big +1.....!!

Tuna

I went and looked at this a couple weeks ago, the screenshots were so tiny, I moved along.

Jarhead0331

#54
Quote from: Tuna on April 11, 2015, 07:32:25 AM
I went and looked at this a couple weeks ago, the screenshots were so tiny, I moved along.

you are really not going to consider a game because the screenshots were small?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2015, 07:48:22 AM
Quote from: Tuna on April 11, 2015, 07:32:25 AM
I went and looked at this a couple weeks ago, the screenshots were so tiny, I moved along.

you are really not going to consider a game because the screenshots were small?
There are... 'other'... considerations? Heresy! :o ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bobarossa

Quote from: Tuna on April 11, 2015, 07:32:25 AM
I went and looked at this a couple weeks ago, the screenshots were so tiny, I moved along.
My browser lets me zoom in and see them just fine. They also provided downloads of the map of two of the battles.

Tuna

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 11, 2015, 07:48:22 AM
Quote from: Tuna on April 11, 2015, 07:32:25 AM
I went and looked at this a couple weeks ago, the screenshots were so tiny, I moved along.

you are really not going to consider a game because the screenshots were small?

LOL.. well I loved FoF, but the fixed resolution was a bummer!.. but really, I want to see if a game looks cool, I don't want to have to hold my old eyes close to the screen, or be zooming and what have you.. I thought Matrix already had a poll on Screenshot size, did everyone respond that they prefer 640x480?

W8taminute

Caveat!!!   I'm going to talk in general terms here and am not aiming any negativity towards this game.



Good marketing means that the customer doesn't have to play a bunch of right clicking alt ctrl tab computer magic to look at a screenshot.  I'm with Tuna, if I have to work hard or even just mildly to try to see what product I'm trying to buy whilst struggling with a micro screen shot midget, I'm moving on.  There are so many choices out there. 

The other thing I don't like about games that provide you with tiny screenshots to try to get you to buy is that it almost feels like they're trying to hide something.  Like the game is carp or something. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gil R.

Hello, I'm one of WCS's developers.  I just saw the posts about screenshots, and can assure you we're not trying to hide anything:  in fact, we consider our maps to be our #1 selling point (or, more accurately, either #1a, #1b, or #1c... but still Number One).  And we're also very pleased with our interface.  The only thing I personally have been hiding from players is that I wasn't able to come up with historically justifiable commander ratings for every single regimental leader and his two most senior officers in every battle we cover, and thus a good number of these ratings had to be randomized.  And I've been hiding that there is an important part of the Williamsburg battlefield that wasn't properly mapped and therefore is something of a mystery, and thus what our map has represents my best guesswork.

So, now that I have confessed these two things, I will personally take screenshots of any aspect of the game that any of you might wish to see and post them here.  You point, I click.

Also, I might as well address the point made up above about length of development.  To the outside world it looks like this game was under development for 7-8 years, but in truth there would be long periods of time when we were unable to work on it (though a few hardy testers would continue to test it, and every once in a while I would take a few minutes to post on a public forum that the game was NOT vaporware).  Our programmer had to spend months at a time working instead on our WWII game "Conflict of Heroes" and its two follow-ups, I had all sorts of things to do for my real career that kept me from doing anything for similarly long periods, and our primary graphics person was in a similar situation.  It was only in the past year that there would be times when programming, scenario design, and art were all being worked on at once.  So the game probably took three, or perhaps four, years of actual development time.

Please do let me know if you have any questions, either here or in the Matrix forum.