Do you suffer from HDOCD?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Hard drive obsessive compulsive disorder. I swear they need to add this to the DSM.

I have 2 terabytes of hard drive space that is almost completely full. I'm constantly struggling to maintain 200 gigabytes free. I have games installed that I am almost certain I will never play, but I get anxiety if I delete them. It is totally irrational. I know most of the data is game related because that is pretty much all I use my computer for. No movies, no porn (ok, there is some, but under 2 gb) no commercial applications, etc.

Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


gameleaper

I used to store on DVD then I moved to mirrored external drives, now I have external Hard Drive disorder :)

undercovergeek

Yup, I installed fences so I could subdivide the desktop into categories -  in the total war section is empire and napoleon, never going to play them again ever. If I'm honest with myself I don't think I'll play fallen enchantress either or arma 3, banished, and splinter cell but they're still there, I suppose the beauty of steam is you could mothball them and bring them out again if needed

Gusington

I do suffer from this but not as severely. I have been able to recently remove some games I know I will never play. But of course that doesn't stop me from buying more.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I do but I don't have much choice...my rig is old and it only has a 500GB hard drive. I have plenty of games installed that I don't want to uninstall, even though it's been months since I've played them. I think I only have about 50GB free right now.

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM
Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games I stalled that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.
Oh yeah.  I'm right there with you man. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

just remember guys, all hard drives come in one size:  "full"  ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

We all have it so it's no disorder but only normal behaviour.

DoctorQuest

My name is Doctor Quest and I am a game hoarder.

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. God bless you, JH.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mikeck

Steam is to my addiction as a "pain clinic" is for junkies. It's an unending source of what I need conveniently located

What's better is that I can uninstall and reinstall in seconds. That makes it more tempting to purchase games that I know damn well I will never play
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

In my case, almost just the opposite.  I'm an inveterate 'purger.' I despise clutter.

Now, I definitely have plenty of games on my HD that I never play.  I'm starting to get near the 1TB capacity on my data HD... about 150GB remaining. At some point soon I'll probably just un-install a bunch of crap, and it won't really bother me in the least.

Truth is, there's probably only a dozen or so games that fall into my "*must* have and will never uninstall" list. Hmmm, what would they be...

1. CMx2 (all modules)
2. OOTP
3. Distant Worlds Universe
4. Most Pdox titles -- HoI, EU, CK, Vicky
5. Wings Over Flanders Fields
6. Decisive Campaigns, esp. Case Blue
7. Gravteam Tactics - Op Star
Probably also make the cut -- SotS II, Civ V, TW Rome II, AGEOD's Civil War 2, WW1 Gold, Gal Civ II/III, Wargame Red Dragon...

And that's kinda it. Now, there are a lot more games that I enjoy than this, but it wouldn't matter all that much to me if I never played them again.

So I say unto Jarhead, DoctorQuest and the rest -- let it go!  Simplify, simplify!

Jarhead0331

HDOCD is a very peculiar form of mental anxiety disorder. It is different than disorders associated with buying games. We all know I suffer from that, as well. HDOCD manifests itself as the compulsion to not only buy them and have them in your library, but to have them actively installed. I would expect the convenience of the steam library would mitigate the severity of the anxiety caused by HDOCD, but alas, it does not. Only the highlighted color of an installed title can sooth the symptoms and forestall sickness and shakes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Sir Slash

I have 540GB free out of 910 total. So I don't feel too bad. But it's not our fault... It's the damned game companies that keep putting out more and more great games. But, please don't stop.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 15, 2015, 09:18:17 AM
In my case, almost just the opposite.  I'm an inveterate 'purger.' I despise clutter.

Now, I definitely have plenty of games on my HD that I never play.  I'm starting to get near the 1TB capacity on my data HD... about 150GB remaining. At some point soon I'll probably just un-install a bunch of crap, and it won't really bother me in the least.

Truth is, there's probably only a dozen or so games that fall into my "*must* have and will never uninstall" list. Hmmm, what would they be...

1. CMx2 (all modules)
2. OOTP
3. Distant Worlds Universe
4. Most Pdox titles -- HoI, EU, CK, Vicky
5. Wings Over Flanders Fields
6. Decisive Campaigns, esp. Case Blue
7. Gravteam Tactics - Op Star
Probably also make the cut -- SotS II, Civ V, TW Rome II, AGEOD's Civil War 2, WW1 Gold, Gal Civ II/III, Wargame Red Dragon...

And that's kinda it. Now, there are a lot more games that I enjoy than this, but it wouldn't matter all that much to me if I never played them again.

So I say unto Jarhead, DoctorQuest and the rest -- let it go!  Simplify, simplify!

SNIFF!  :'( I NEED A HUG! 

Or maybe I'll just go buy a new game................  :idiot2:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

sandman2575