Do you suffer from HDOCD?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bob48

I only have about 30 games installed right now, maybe 20 of those I will either never, or rarely, play again. My HD still has 1 Tb free out of 1.5 Tb total space.

I should buy more games............... ::)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MengJiao

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 15, 2015, 09:18:17 AM
In my case, almost just the opposite.  I'm an inveterate 'purger.' I despise clutter.

Now, I definitely have plenty of games on my HD that I never play.  I'm starting to get near the 1TB capacity on my data HD... about 150GB remaining. At some point soon I'll probably just un-install a bunch of crap, and it won't really bother me in the least.

Truth is, there's probably only a dozen or so games that fall into my "*must* have and will never uninstall" list. Hmmm, what would they be...

1. CMx2 (all modules)
2. OOTP
3. Distant Worlds Universe
4. Most Pdox titles -- HoI, EU, CK, Vicky
5. Wings Over Flanders Fields
6. Decisive Campaigns, esp. Case Blue
7. Gravteam Tactics - Op Star
Probably also make the cut -- SotS II, Civ V, TW Rome II, AGEOD's Civil War 2, WW1 Gold, Gal Civ II/III, Wargame Red Dragon...

And that's kinda it. Now, there are a lot more games that I enjoy than this, but it wouldn't matter all that much to me if I never played them again.

So I say unto Jarhead, DoctorQuest and the rest -- let it go!  Simplify, simplify!

  I would like to be an "all-installed" kind of guy, but I keep getting new machines and I rarely install much of what I could out of my Steam library much less anything else.  right now I just have:

DCS
ArmaIII
Spintires
Train simulator
BoS
Attila
CMANO

And tonight I will reinstall PanzerBattles: Kursk: Southern Front with a patch

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 07:01:04 AM


Anybody else have the uncontrollable compulsion to keep large quantities of games installed that never get play time? I hope so...I'm starting a support group.


Absolutely.

I keep having to uninstall stuff to make more room for installing new ones.  But it's so painful to uninstall something, despite not having played it in over a year. 

Do you also go through the uninstall list multiple times, agonizing on just which one to get rid of? 


My other HDOCD issue is deleting the install & patch files for my non-DRM games (such as those from GOG and Matrix), despite having burned each multiple times on DVDs as backup.  As if I need to make three more copies of each and still keep them on my HDD.  :idiot2:

steve58

#18
...aye...I think I've got it as well.  I've got a 1TB hard drive, but still get nervous when its only half full :-[ which is about where its at right now, so excuse me will I go and delete a few games.  Bye Pink Pony :'(  :crazy2:



...actually this thread got me to looking at what I do have installed and why the heck do I still have Naval War Artic Circle still installed?   ...time to do some serious cleaning up.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bbmike

What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

WallysWorld

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need.  :D

Yep, I'm the same. I finally deleted an old Norton Ghost backup I took of my hard drive from my old computer from late 2009. Five and a half years later I finally decided that I don't need anything from that backup anymore.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need.  :D

I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need.  :D

I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.

:o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 04:59:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need.  :D

I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.

:o

Cyberhoarding is what it's called. I'm embarrassed just to contemplate listing all the computer-related stuff I have lying around. You guys will all start looking funny at me (ok.. ok... funnier than you do already... :P).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

I constantly have to swap games out. My hard drive is only 500 gigs and i'm down to under 40 gigs and have to keep wiping out the last restore point. Been thinking about getting another external, i have one, buts its for my music and backups. I have several war games that are modded heavily which it would be too much of a pain in the ass to reinstall so there staying. I love steam in this regard as you can load your mods easy peasy  and when you uninstall  games your saves stay to be continued later.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Swatter

I have great news for those who suffer HDOCD, I have a cure. Its immediate and highly effective- have kids! Once the first kids peeks his or her head out, your spare time will magically disappear along with all your petty worries about games or hard drives. Warning- once your start the recovery process it takes 18 years and you can never quit. Oh, and its very expensive.

DoctorQuest

I learned a long time ago that more games than you might expect can be simply backed up by zipping the installation folder. Ghost Recon, FS2004, CFS2, CFS3, Strike Fighters 2, etc. can all be backed up this way and restored by unzipping the backup file to reinstall. You need to recreate any shortcuts, of course, but I avoid the hassle of reinstalling the base game and mucking about with patches and mods. 
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Somehow I manage to still game with my kids trying to burn the house down around me.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I purge my hard drive in general once in the spring and again in the fall.  If I haven't played the game in 5 or 6 months, it gets deleted from my hard drive.  The one major except is my battlefront titles because I'm freaking paranoid about their draconian DRM.  I've gotten to the point I don't really care about DRM until it limits my ability to redownload or do multiple installs.  I just don't deal with that bullshit anymore.  Hence games available through Steam make up a good 90% of my collection now.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 15, 2015, 06:43:07 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 04:59:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
What's worse is when I get a new hard drive I always save the old one in case I need to go back for any files I might need.  :D

I'll do you one better. I keep the whole system. I currently have 5 towers collecting dust in my place.

:o

Cyberhoarding is what it's called. I'm embarrassed just to contemplate listing all the computer-related stuff I have lying around. You guys will all start looking funny at me (ok.. ok... funnier than you do already... :P).

LOL yeah.  I have boxes & boxes of old computer parts & wires, a couple old towers with parts pulled out.  Computer parts detritus.  I'll probably never use 85% of it again. 

Can't have a burn party with them so there's a lot of dead weight there.