matrix strange Red Sale Prices, NOT realy on sale

Started by gameleaper, April 20, 2015, 11:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 21, 2015, 09:47:54 AM
Anybody got any opinions about Battlefront for $19? It looks old as me and I don't see a lot of scenarios. How does it play?

It is old, but it and the other related games have a pretty decent grand tactical/operational level system. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get your head around it the play is fast and entertaining. I find the counters in the SSG games kind of hard to see sometimes against the maps, which have a lot of detail but are very "busy."

I think the later games in the series are better, particularly Kharkov/Across the Dneiper, but it isn't often you see a battalion level game of Saipan. If you like hex and chit board games, these play like that. Probably worth it at under $20 if it's your kind of game.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

Only battlefront and red storm are on sale for me and the prices look alright. (From Singapore)

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

panzerde

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 21, 2015, 08:46:22 PM
How is the Market-Garden scenario?

It's been a long time, but I remember it as being pretty good. It isn't Command Ops HTTR, but it is a good overall battalion-level treatment of the operation.

SSG really set out to automate board games. Their games really play that way, against a really pretty good AI opponent. The UI is...different and comes from a time when games like these were just emerging from being mostly DOS games. They're good fights, though, with a lot of attention to historical detail.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

Thanks. I may get it just for M/G. The garish color scheme of the UI seems to be an SSG hallmark. Carriers at War had it as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys