Steam Launches Paid Mod Support

Started by steve58, April 23, 2015, 02:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

^ Holy overreaction, Batman (at Panzerde)!

It is not mandatory to charge for mods- it's up to the modder.  So feel free to mod to your heart's content!

It's not a whole lot different than choosing a freeware plane for FSX vs. a payware plane for FSX.  Think of it like that.  You don't have to buy the payware if you don't want it.

I suspect this is going to be an epic fail, so don't lose sleep over it Panzer.   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

To me this seems like more of a way to stop mods than support them. Who actually gets the money? The modder or Steam? If the workshop is a financial burden on Steam then they should say so and be up front about it. The workshop was always a draw to Steam for me, an advantage over their competitors and made running mods a simple and easy way to enjoy them while making their games better. But I agree it'll probably last about as long as it takes people to figure out there are free mods to be had and by this time next year it will be my new April Fool's Day joke.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GibbyG

Both get a portion.  Not sure of the split.

panzerde

Quote from: challerain on April 23, 2015, 11:13:57 PM
Both get a portion.  Not sure of the split.

75% to Valve/Bethesda, 25% to the modder. The modder has to generate sufficient sales to get a $100 payout before getting anything, so $400 in mod sales.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

If the 'featured' Skyrim mods in the linked Steamworks page are any indication,  at 99 cents per D/L some of these modders may never see a dime.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Ian C

#20
Quote from: panzerde on April 23, 2015, 11:16:28 PM

75% to Valve/Bethesda, 25% to the modder. The modder has to generate sufficient sales to get a $100 payout before getting anything, so $400 in mod sales.

That's a terrible deal, by any standard.

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 24, 2015, 06:37:15 AM
If the 'featured' Skyrim mods in the linked Steamworks page are any indication,  at 99 cents per D/L some of these modders may never see a dime.

Quote from the STEAM splash page:

"...the Workshop is also a great place for community content creators to earn a living by selling their greatest works".

Earn A Living. I'm not going to do the math, but at those rates, I doubt it.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 23, 2015, 10:31:34 PM
To me this seems like more of a way to stop mods than support them. Who actually gets the money? The modder or Steam? If the workshop is a financial burden on Steam then they should say so and be up front about it. The workshop was always a draw to Steam for me, an advantage over their competitors and made running mods a simple and easy way to enjoy them while making their games better. But I agree it'll probably last about as long as it takes people to figure out there are free mods to be had and by this time next year it will be my new April Fool's Day joke.
I agree.

Whilst I think people should give to modders if they can, I don't ever think it;s a good idea to force a charge. That would be up to the modder and as such he would need to be fully able and willing to support said mod

I think it's a way of killing mods off. I've always wondered why gaming companies might think it's a good idea to release a game that can be modded when it takes away from them DLC - especially now DLC is much much more prevalent.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

There's also the fact that Steam isn't the only place to get mods. For TW and Civ games, just to name two, there are lots of sites to grab user created content by the truckload. So...all is not lost.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2015, 07:10:18 AM
There's also the fact that Steam isn't the only place to get mods. For TW and Civ games, just to name two, there are lots of sites to grab user created content by the truckload. So...all is not lost.
Yeah - but would your Steam game allow those mods?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Ian C

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2015, 07:11:05 AM
Yeah - but would your Steam game allow those mods?

Logically speaking, for this business model to work, no.

Gusington

Would this then backfire so bad that users will start buying non Steam versions of everything possible?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Freyland

What if Bethesda is just pushing this as a chance to make over-priced dlc and pass it off as a community mod?  People complained about them releasing horse armor as dlc, but would be more willing to support a passionate "modder".

Bison

This is a horrible idea.  I wonder what the monetary breakdown is between Steam, the developer, and the modder. 

Sir Slash

I'd be happier with Steam's Workshop if they would just FINALLY get the Attila Workshop up and running. They posted Tuesday announcing the release but still nothing. I've seen some mods for 99 cents and some for as much as $5 or $6. Who determines how much a mod is worth? The modder or Steam? And why the big differences I wonder? Smacks to me of a big Govt. conspiracy :o. But you didn't hear that from me. Shhhh.... :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Is this only for new mods ?

Just checked and i currently have 107 workshop mods installed.  If free mods become paid mods these will undoubtedly be removed from you libary, probably making old savegames corrupt unless you pay up.