Follow me down to the FRIDAY

Started by MetalDog, May 01, 2015, 05:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

Having begun my annual re-reading of Steven Pressfield's superb Tides of War, I'm in the mood for some Peloponnesian War action, so I'll probably be spending some more time with my Athens campaign in Rome II: Wrath of Sparta this weekend. 

Also want to spend some time with two very different fantasy titles, Sovereignty and Shadows of Mordor (the latter of which I just purchased). 

Finally, as is nearly always the case, I'm feeling the need for some space 4x action.  I just haven't decided which game I want to go with -- Distant Worlds, Armada 2526, or good old Birth of the Federation (I've been playing Ultimate Mod 5 quite a bit lately).  All are very appealing right now!  Decisions, decisions... 




Quote from: panzerde on May 01, 2015, 04:36:50 PM
If I can get to the point where I'm neither doing a reasonable imitation of a TB victim nor completely high on the 'tussin, you'll have a turn coming. I started last night but ended up distracted by Trailer Park Boys on Netflix.

Worst cold I've had in YEARS.
Sorry to hear that, panzerde.  :(  Here's hoping for a swift recovery! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 01, 2015, 09:53:29 PM
Just remember- most colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics don't do shit against them while making incidental bacteria more resistant due to constant exposure to the same antibiotics. Antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria owe their existence to the needless distribution of antibiotics to diseases they were never meant to cure.

See!  I made the right decision.  No need to go to the Doc's office unless you're dying or crippled.  ;)

Bison

Yeah I'm getting over a little cold thing myself. #IDEMANDCOLDJUSTICE

Staggerwing

Feels like I am just starting one. I was great last night except for some random sneezing. Today... sinuses are on fire and I'm feeling generally lousy. Hopefully it's just allergies but my youngest is on the bounce-back from a cold so the odds are it's the real thing.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Allergies for me. Headache, itchy eyes, stuffiness and fatigue. Damn plants and their stupid way of reproducing.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

I used to have hayfever (suddenly stopped thankfully) so I know from experience how unpleasant it is.  You guys who have it have my sympathy.  Fortunately it's generally treatable with antihistamines.

panzerde

Quote from: Nefaro on May 02, 2015, 06:36:17 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 01, 2015, 09:53:29 PM
Just remember- most colds are caused by viruses. Antibiotics don't do shit against them while making incidental bacteria more resistant due to constant exposure to the same antibiotics. Antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria owe their existence to the needless distribution of antibiotics to diseases they were never meant to cure.

See!  I made the right decision.  No need to go to the Doc's office unless you're dying or crippled.  ;)


I'm in your camp on this. If I don't have an artery gushing blood I don't see what good going to the doctor will do. It may be that growing up around hospitals (mom was a nurse) and then having worked at one has put me off the entire idea...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Kushan

Last night I played Diablo 3 and drank Bushmills until the early hours of the morning. As soon as my head clears up I'm going to be diving into Command with some scenario creation. Almost done with my first US/UK vs EU scenario. Most of the AI missions and scripting are in place but I still have some major balance issues I need to work out. Most notably, the players air defense (currently 2 Burkes, 2 Darings, 4 Type 23s) is too overwhelming for the two French carriers air wings to score any hits without massive attrition.

Not sure how much gaming I'm going to get in tomorrow. Weather is going to be nicer then it is today and if the weather man isn't lying then I'm going to head out for some hiking. If I get any gaming in it will probably be more Command or Diablo 3 but I'm not ruling out Kerbal Space Program, EUIV, or Distant Worlds.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Toonces

For all the yapping I do in these threads I really haven't been gaming much at all.  Last night, though, I did fire up Take Command: 2nd Manassas with the CMP 4.0 mod and gave a sandbox fight on the Antietam map a spin.  I have to say that the graphics weren't as bad as I feared and the game holds up surprisingly well.  One area where SoW clearly outshines TC is in the use of couriers.  I didn't realize just how much I enjoyed playing the game using couriers until they weren't available to give orders anymore as in TC.  I didn't like that aspect much.

Overall, though, given the huge amount of free content available for TC:2M I'm calling it Toonces's MUST BUYTM for the month of May if you have a strong interest in the American Civil War.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 01, 2015, 09:18:13 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on May 01, 2015, 07:24:12 AM
Couple of PBEM games to get turns out for.... and write up one for an AAR.


Supposedly I have a PBEM game.  My opponent seems to be on an extended vacation.  Probably in Florida or Cuba or something.

Meanwhile back at the Farm:  Mordor!  and Panzerblitz 2 Hill of Death!  It's a pretty bloody mess out there in gaming land.  I'm loving
Shadow of Mordor and in PZ2 a sneaky German recon halftrack just REALLY DISRUPTED (DD -- that's double Big D) a platoon of Bren gun carriers at about 700 meters from a concealed hill-top entrenchment.  Those Germans.  They are like Elite Elven Wundertruppen!
And in Mordor -- I guess I'm pruning into a Wraith.  And no wonder -- all work and no play makes Talion a wraith.  But the whacky combat makes it all worthwhile.

  So yes.  It was mostly all Mordor and Hill of Death.  A grim-looking but quite enjoyable week-end.