GOG's new client Galaxy enters public beta

Started by Huw the Poo, May 05, 2015, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Huw the Poo

Exciting times!

Click the link and by all means sign up first, but after that, I urge you to watch the video.  It sounds awesome.  When it's fully released Valve are going to have some explaining to do...

Jarhead0331

I have to take the time to watch the video, but at first blush, I find it odd that anyone who has beef with steam, would want to use something like this. Its still a client. Sure, its optional and "DRM free", but then it does not really offer developers the same benefits that the steam platform does. As such, I think the library will always be limited.

GOG seems to be taking what is so great about steam and simply applying it to their model. A good idea, but hardly anything revolutionary.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Huw the Poo

Even if I didn't have any problems with Steam - and I do - I still think it's foolish to put all your eggs in one basket.  Galaxy has many of the advantages of Steam minus some of Steam's disadvantages.  There's certainly no cause to dismiss it out of hand and I remain pretty excited about it.

Martok

Actually, this does rather sound like "Steam, but better".  Thanks for the heads-up Huw! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Philippe

Depending on how this goes I may start buying more games from GOG.  Looking forward to how this pans out. I don't mind having games that I own on Steam, but I don't really like buying from them.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro

I got the impression that this GOG client was primarily intended to make multi-player matchmaking for old games (that no longer have such support) easier.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on May 05, 2015, 12:32:19 PM
I got the impression that this GOG client was primarily intended to make multi-player matchmaking for old games (that no longer have such support) easier.

That would be worth installing it for me anyway...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 05, 2015, 05:49:37 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 05, 2015, 12:32:19 PM
I got the impression that this GOG client was primarily intended to make multi-player matchmaking for old games (that no longer have such support) easier.

That would be worth installing it for me anyway...

Right. Imagine if you could actually play Silent Hunter 2 on your computer while someone else played Destroyer Command and the two games actually linked up the way Ubisoft promised they would.  Ah, if only...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GibbyG

Maybe I'm missing something but it just looks like a way to buy and install GOG games which means you are still limited to the games GOG sells.  So, very few new games and a lot of old graphics and such.

Don't get me wrong, I have a bunch of GOG games, but I still buy far more new games.

Huw the Poo

I think you can use it with non-GOG games too, just as with Steam.  Also I assume they're making a push to sell a broader range of games now that Galaxy is available, but time will tell of course.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 06, 2015, 12:43:53 AM
I think you can use it with non-GOG games too, just as with Steam.  Also I assume they're making a push to sell a broader range of games now that Galaxy is available, but time will tell of course.

Impossible. No way AAA developers are going to release "drm free" versions of their games. The catalog for Galaxy is inherently going to be limited. The very thing that is good about it is the very thing that is going to hold it back.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Huw the Poo

That's an incorrect use of the word impossible, Jarhead.  Maybe publishers will jump on board, maybe they won't.  Only time will tell.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 06, 2015, 06:38:06 AM
That's an incorrect use of the word impossible, Jarhead.  Maybe publishers will jump on board, maybe they won't.  Only time will tell.

Yep. We'll see...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

I have about a dozen GOG games...I might try it eventually.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 06, 2015, 12:16:16 PM
I have about a dozen GOG games...I might try it eventually.

I think it only supports multi-player for a very small handful of titles right now.  Stuff I don't play IIRC.  Don't expect much.