Fantasy General and Pacific General now available from GOG.com

Started by Greybriar, May 05, 2015, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

airboy

Quote from: Greybriar on May 05, 2015, 09:08:54 AM
Pacific General and Fantasy General have been released DRM-free on GOG.com! These two PC games were part of the classic 5-Star General series by SSI.

Fantasy General was an excellent wargame.  It should hold up pretty well since it is turn-based.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

The update of the Fantasy General engine to Fantasy Wars / Elven Legacy is better in almost every way, but I'll still grab this because it's Fantasy General.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

The only aggressively annoying thing about FantGen was its silly and probably late attempt to balance the game by heavily penalizing the player who doesn't at least sort-of-evenly research all the tech paths.

Its magic system is ridiculous, too, but not actively pernicious for the most part -- just mostly ignore magic, like the game would prefer, and you'll be fine. ;) Put points into researching heavy cav as soon as possible, and the game will throw ungodly strong units at you, until you relent and create a balanced tech progression like all other Panzer General games automatically do by campaign design (including FG/EL by the way), and like this one should have done in hindsight.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

I still have my big box of the original Fantasy General.  So I can use the original documentation.  I liked the game so much I never got rid of it - even though I could not play it without a ton of aggravation.

Nefaro

With stuff like AOW2/3 and Warlock 1 & 2 out there, I don't think I would ever go back to playing Fantasy General.   ???

JasonPratt

FantGen isn't for the same purpose at all as modern MoM games.

More specifically, it wasn't for the same purpose at all as the original Master of Magic. ;) Which was released at about the same time.

It's literally like saying that with stuff like AoW2/3 and Warlock 1 & 2 out there, I just don't think I could ever go back to playing Panzer General (or Panzer Corps if you prefer). That could be true, I guess, but it's like comparing apples to cans of Mountain Dew. There are some trivial similarities, even a surprisingly large number of trivial similarities on examination, but they aren't really comparable.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Modern (sort-of-modern) FantGen gameplay in an AAR here at Grogheads (linking to the start of the actual mission work, for convenience, not the plot): http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12285.msg320109#msg320109

FantGen is like that. But with much older 2-D gfx. And a vastly much better soundtrack.  :smitten: :smitten: (I still listen to that music on a regular basis.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Fantasy General was IMHO the best of the 5-Star games.  There are a lot of unit types.  Terrain had a big impact.  Magic added another level to the game.  And you had a research element.  It is a very engaging, high-end, beer & pretzels game.

My problem is that with the age of the paper, I cannot read my old manual without getting sick.  I'm going to have to print off a copy of the PDF that came with the GOG purchase.  Rats.


Arctic Blast

Well, THIS is interesting :

QuotePacific General and Fantasy General are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Staggerwing

I wonder if they will eventually have Star General, based on David Drake's the Fleet, and the rest of the SSI stuff such as Luftwaffe Commander and Age of Rifles, or even clean-up versions of the Great Naval Battles series.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 06, 2015, 05:25:29 AM
I wonder if they will eventually have Star General, based on David Drake's the Fleet, and the rest of the SSI stuff such as Luftwaffe Commander and Age of Rifles, or even clean-up versions of the Great Naval Battles series.

And Soldiers at War. You forgot to mention Soldiers at War!  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Did someone say, "SSI"? Gold Box Series, Gold Box Series, Gold Box Series, and of course.... The Series of the Golden Container.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.