Warbirds 2015 Single Player Release

Started by FrontierCybrarian, May 05, 2015, 11:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FrontierCybrarian

Hopefully this is not a redundant post but I didn't find this title through the search feature.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/365620/

A couple of questions; 1) How good is the Warbirds series? 2) Is it a deep flight sim or arcade flight "sim"?

Since it was formerly just multi-play I avoided it but now that it's single play...well who knows. Enlighten me wargamers. Thanks!
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

jomni

Looks like it's got tanks.  I haven't played this so I have no opinion.

Toonces

#2
Ok, I gave this a few minutes of research.

Basically this appears to be the usual multiplayer Warbirds game with a single player skirmish system.  This is probably a means by which they want you to buy the game, get the free multiplayer month, and then sign up for the monthly subscription.  The game is actually free to download and play on the home website:  http://www.totalsims.com/info_warbirds.php

Warbirds is similar to Aces High 2.  I've never played Warbirds but AH2 is (was) a ton of fun for multiplayer flying.  It is not a single player experience, at least in the sense of an IL-2 or Red Baron.

This Stealey fellow that is selling the game is a bit of a scam artist.  I remember there being a big hubbub about is release of M4 Tank Platoon or something like that a few years ago. This definitely smells like a scam to me.

My recommendation:  let this one pass by for a while until the Steam forums fill up with comments, or get the free download at the above website.  From browsing the Warbirds website forums it sounds like the multiplayer is pretty much dead.  Aces High's is struggling as well.  War Thunder and World of Warplanes are really creating a tough time for the $15/month subscription model air combat MMO community.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

FrontierCybrarian

Jomni, thanks for posting. Of course tanks my friend...it's a known fact that tanks were able to down 300mph fighter planes at 7000 feet with a single shot. They used long range canister shot. Good to hear from you.

Toonces, appreciate your insight/research regarding this flight title. Very valuable! I'll take your advice and pass on a purchase. Besides I have so many flight "sims" or arcade flight titles I haven't played for ages. Many of them also have better graphics and sound than Warbirds 2015.

Why can't I be satisfied with what I have and learn how to play them with success and enjoyment? I'll tell you why. Like many of you I'm a collector and owner of so many thinking that this may the "ultimate" one to tickle the sweet spot. The game to end all games, if you will. Even more tempting if the price seems right.
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

Toonces

^ You can download this for free, FC.  You're only paying $15 for the convenience of Steam, from what I can tell.  It's a scam, if that's the case.

Give the free version a whirl and see what you think.  I don't think it's going to scratch the itch you have, but then again, we all have different tastes.  I'd spend some time on the forums before you shell out for a subscription, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs