Who Fell Asleep and Let the 40k License Slip Into Competent Hands?

Started by Cyrano, May 05, 2015, 07:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cyrano

http://www.warhammer40kregicide.com/

Downloading the early access Steam version now, but it seems like a narrowly-focused, clever design.  Admittedly, it's not the turn-based tactical 40k game most of us want, but, I'm looking forward to it...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Also remarkable is the pleasant-looking (OK, not that that should matter, but a fellah notices such things) 40k-competent FEMALE project lead that appears in the Steam "first look" video.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cyrano

Well, I'll say this much...it's an early access game, but I think I may be falling a little bit in love.

The "Classic" mode is Battle Chess (yeah, that one from 100 years ago) except with Blood Angels and Orks.

The "Regicide" mode is a minor modification of chess wherein the moves are those of a chessboard, but each side is given a number of action points at the end of each movement.  Those points can be used to fire on other units, use special powers, "go to ground" (buff defense), and other choices.  Chess move captures cause opponent death outright, but, failing that, action points can be spent to fire, frag, assault, &c., the other team into submission as well.

It's a low-intensity, low-investment game that, I should mention, is awfully good looking even at this early stage.

Looking forward to watching this one evolve.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Cyrano on May 05, 2015, 09:49:43 PM
Well, I'll say this much...it's an early access game, but I think I may be falling a little bit in love.

The "Classic" mode is Battle Chess (yeah, that one from 100 years ago) except with Blood Angels and Orks.

The "Regicide" mode is a minor modification of chess wherein the moves are those of a chessboard, but each side is given a number of action points at the end of each movement.  Those points can be used to fire on other units, use special powers, "go to ground" (buff defense), and other choices.  Chess move captures cause opponent death outright, but, failing that, action points can be spent to fire, frag, assault, &c., the other team into submission as well.

It's a low-intensity, low-investment game that, I should mention, is awfully good looking even at this early stage.

Looking forward to watching this one evolve.

Very good assessment. My thoughts exactly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bayonetbrant

I'm always surprised when there's a halfway decent 40k computer game.  There's no way that GW's primary motivation of "sell more figures" is enhanced by creating virtual versions of said figures.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

I'm not into the Warhammer world - but it looks interesting.

I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the chess board battle area though.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MIGMaster

Sorta reminds me of Incubation - nothing like playing chess with advanced weaponry.

Cyrano

Incubation is one of the bestest computer games EVAH...EVAH.  It's definitely not my beloved Incubation.

How you feel about playing modified chess with very nicely done WH40K dudes will predicate your views of this game.  I was also amused by the VERY heavily inflected Ork-speak.  There were two of their little calls that I actually had to hear twice before parsing.

@brant:  That's why we've never had a follow-up to either "Final Liberation" or "Chaos Gate", right?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

I'll be the first, and possibly only, naysayer.

40K Chess?  No thanks.   :-\


Cyrano

'naff humies...one of oom playz wiff toyz...judgez Orkz?

DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA, sez I...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

it just seems like every time GW is in danger of inching toward a solid hit 40K-themed computer game, they turn and run screaming in the other direction.  They've said for years that their primary market motivator is selling their own merch - figs, paints, etc.  If a computer game starts to siphon off those folks, how does that meet their primary market goal?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 06, 2015, 12:02:40 PM
it just seems like every time GW is in danger of inching toward a solid hit 40K-themed computer game, they turn and run screaming in the other direction.  They've said for years that their primary market motivator is selling their own merch - figs, paints, etc.  If a computer game starts to siphon off those folks, how does that meet their primary market goal?

Because the market is shifting. More people are playing electronic games than tabletop. I think they are going to have change their plan if they want to survive.

i have high hopes for the upcoming FPS Deathwing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Cyrano

I read Priestley once saying that they didn't want to create games that replaced the tabletop experience.  The only ones that really took a crack at that, it seems to me, were FL and CG.  All the others were either RTSs, third-person shooters, or some strange mini-game like, well, "Regicide".  I suppose the notion is that it gets people to like the IP and will lead them to the source so that they may drink Original Wisdom straight from the Bolt-thrower fountain.

I've been waiting for the whole grim scam to come to a crashing halt for years and it never has...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

undercovergeek

theres plenty melting their armies over the new fantasy update

im always intrigued as to the marketing - i was introduced to it by a nerd at school at 15 but not once after that has anyone ever mentioned it to me, how do they put it out there?