Battle of Midway 70th Anniversary

Started by mirth, June 04, 2012, 08:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jack Nastyface

As an aside to this story...
A couple of years ago, an underwater research team located and inspected the wreakage of the Yorktown.  Although I understand the interest in seeing the "American" side of this battle, I think an investigation into the Japanese wrecks (Hiryu, Soryu, Kaga and Agaki) may have produced more archealogically interesting information.  The loss of the Yorktown is fairly well documented; the loss of the IJN carriers is not.

Also..anyone interested in reading about the experience of Torpedo 8 at Midway and later at Guadacanal should pick up "A Dawn Like Thunder".  An excellent but sobering read.  The almost complete loss of Torpedo 8 that morning (1 survivor from the flight of devastators that flew from the Hornet, 2 survivors from the avengers that flew from Midway) is heroic and moving.

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

LongBlade

Thanks for the recommendation, Jack. I've added that to my wishlist.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

^ +1. Thanks for the heads up on 'A Dawn Like Thunder'.

And I agree that finding the wrecks of the Japanese carriers would be worthwhile.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I think I read just yesterday that more and more info has been discovered on the Kaga recently.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

For anybody who's interested in the Battle of Midway and hasn't done so, I heartily recommend Shattered Sword.  It's one of the best-researched military history books I've read in a long time.  It debunks a number of the Midway myths and qualifies some others.

While most American story books portray it as a "David versus Goliath" kind of battle, when you look at the details, you realize it was a much more even knife-fight.  And you also realize that, unlike the Japanese commanders, the American commanders had a pretty good grasp that was the case going in.

besilarius

Not positive, but believe that when they found Yorktown, the Woods Hole searchers also found Kaga.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.