DEX released - Cyberpunk RPG

Started by Nefaro, May 07, 2015, 01:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Looks like this just left Early Access on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269650/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1


I'm not a big side-scroller fan but if it has enough cyberpunk style RPG in it, then I'll have to acquire it before long.

spelk

With my Cyberpunk fetish at the moment, I was tempted, but I'm not a massive fan of side scrollers either. So perhaps this can wait.

Cyberpunk games I've bought or played, since Shadowrun Chronicles got me juicing after them..

The Republic Remastered
Syndicate (FPS Reboot on 360 console)
Remember Me
CyberLords (Android)
CyberKnights (Android)

Any other Cyberpunk games worth dabbling in?

I've also finished Shadowrun: Neat novella, and that was brilliant. But started on Shadowrun: Dark Resonance and am finding that less intriguing - have drifted off it after 5 or 6 chapters, and am now knee deep in Snow Crash Audiobook by Neal Stephenson.

Other cyberpunk book recommendations would be welcome. Yes, I've read Neuromancer, years ago.

Tpek

^Snow Crash is one of the best Sci-Fi fiction to have come out in the modern age.
You should then go on to his other novels/"sequels", like Diamond Age or Anathem.

I've tried this Dex a bit (don't have much time right now), it looks interesting. Would have loved a better tutorial.
And also, this reminds me why I hate platformers... I hate jumping puzzles.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Tpek on May 07, 2015, 03:29:18 PM
^Snow Crash is one of the best Sci-Fi fiction to have come out in the modern age.
Mild *cough* - I personally don't think Snow Crash even compares to Walter John Williams stuff, say nothing about Gibson, though you will often find it at the top of cyberpunk lists.  I found it a bit flippant.  Guess it is a matter of taste.

As for recommendations, WJW's Voice of the Whirlwind is great, Hardwired is ok, and Morgan's much more recent Altered Carbon and sequels are enjoyable.   Oh, and be sure to read Count Zero as well, though it's not as good as Neuromancer. 

Moving into just sci-fi, check out Alastair Reynolds, Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix and Artificial Kid (on the lighter side). 


Pinetree

Quote from: spelk on May 07, 2015, 02:41:52 PM
Other cyberpunk book recommendations would be welcome. Yes, I've read Neuromancer, years ago.

If you can get hold of them, Nigel Findley's Shadowrun novels (2XS, Shadowplay, Lone Wolf, House of the Sun) are superb.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

RooksBailey

Quote from: spelk on May 07, 2015, 02:41:52 PM
With my Cyberpunk fetish at the moment,

Join the club!   :)  Cyberpunk games are to me now what NATO/WP wargames were to me in the '80s.   :)

QuoteAny other Cyberpunk games worth dabbling in?

Frozen Synapse!  One of the best, with a totally original story.  And the best cyberpunk soundtrack ever.  :smitten:

Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.  The game is way overrated, but I still found it to be a B+ game.


QuoteOther cyberpunk book recommendations would be welcome.

Shadowrun: Spells and Chrome short story omnibus. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Tpek

Has anyone been able to finish the quest to eliminate the Trubody gang?
I've killed everyone in their hideout but my quest still isn't updating.