Galactic Civilizations III trailer!!

Started by Martok, October 15, 2013, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks everyone...still pondering...but the feedback helps.

Barthheart

So.... this officially releases tomorrow.... is it any good? I have never played any of the Gal iv games.  :crazy2:

tgb

Quote from: Barthheart on May 13, 2015, 08:27:12 PM
So.... this officially releases tomorrow.... is it any good? I have never played any of the Gal iv games.  :crazy2:

It's very good. It doesn't break any new ground the way Endless Legend or Apollo 4X do, but it brings a ton of polish to the traditional 4X format, and if there's one thing Stardock knows how to do, it's AI.

I'm really excited about this hitting tomorrow.

Kushan

I bought it last week, its already been uninstalled after two nights of play. I found the game play utterly boring and unimaginative. Most of the mechanics seem to be a copy and paste from Civilization. The galaxy set up offers a lot less flexibility then similar games like Distant Worlds. I loved GalCiv 2, so I knew what I was getting when I bought it, but I think its just proved the Civ model doesn't work for me anymore.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

I have been playing the bèta's of this game and am pretty excited for the full release! There is one big advantage to the GalCiv series over other 4x space games: cracking AI!
Its unpredictable at times and very cunning at the normal and above settings.
It assesses threaths, forms alliances to counter those and is pretty dynamic overall.
Many of this is 'under the hood' of course and not readily aparent.

I do agree that 3 is a more polished and shiny version of 2 in a broad sense. But that is what most people wanted to get, so I don't think we can call that a bad thing. :)

If you liked GalCiv 2 and want the newest shiny then GalCiv 3 is a no brainer IMO.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bbmike

I don't know why but I'm having great fun with this version. I enjoy it much, much more than the first two.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

sandman2575

Was excited to give this a spin tonight until I came across this --

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226860/discussions/1/620713633846699102/

Apparently there's no simple way to remove idiotic star names like "Plentiful Steak" -- small thing maybe, but this kind of nonsense pi$$es me off...

Bison

#112
Not including an option to rename or re-randomize names is a piss poor decision.  I hate these sorts of founders incentives.  They did it in Pillars of Eternity and if you read the wrong clickable thing it ruins the game for a short while.  Jackassery. 

bbmike

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 14, 2015, 05:11:07 PM
Was excited to give this a spin tonight until I came across this --

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226860/discussions/1/620713633846699102/

Apparently there's no simple way to remove idiotic star names like "Plentiful Steak" -- small thing maybe, but this kind of nonsense pi$$es me off...

Yeah, I wasn't too happy about that either. But the good thing is the star names DO NOT show up on the map, only the planet name (which you can change in game). I do hope Stardock changes the game so that you can rename stars.
Also, Stardrive 2 has the exact same problem- you can't rename stars in game.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Reading that thread there is a way to ceding the ml file that contains the names. Now it has 4000! names in it but it is possible.

Still on the fence because of the price.... Might have to wait for a sale.

sandman2575


bbmike

I do like the race customization though.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

sandman2575

Nice!  Just looking at that calls to mind the menacing voice of Ricardo Montalban - "Kirk! My old friend! Still alive!"   ;)

Freyland

Just need to replace that pic with the one of Kirk in his underwear to make it official.

tgb

If the biggest issue with the game is the inability to rename stars, I would say that's pretty damn good.