Modern Equivalent of LucasArts Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

Started by Gusington, May 16, 2015, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

Are the ground attack Bf110 missions fun in BoB? Are you guys fans of BoB overall?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 18, 2015, 07:26:08 AM
Are the ground attack Bf110 missions fun in BoB? Are you guys fans of BoB overall?

  I played it years ago.  You can fly the 110 in CLOD AND (eventually) in Battle of Moscow.  Where I will be flying the P-40 (eventually).

BanzaiCat

Man, I loved SWOTL. I liked playing the Gotha 229 against B-17 bombers. Such fun!

Also really enjoyed LucasArt's Battle of Britain game (Their Finest Hour).

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd


JasonPratt

Ahem.

B-17 the Mighty Eighth, one of the last aircraft sims from Micropose, is the closest game I can think of to SWotL.

Dynamic bombing campaign using B-17 groups, flying with a crew? Check.

Able to fly a German jet against an Allied bombing campaign? Check. (No really weird jets, but the 262 is there, and as meticulously detailed as any of the other playable planes.)

One of the Grogs was even trying to run a Mighty 8th campaign renaming the crewmembers after various Grog members, a month or two ago.

Now, I have to relate here that I never got as much into it as SwotL because its initial release was buggy in some problematic ways. How well has it been fan-patched and/or modded up since then? No idea.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Mighty 8th is available on Steam here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/328900/

It reportedly runs fine (for whatever values count as "fine" for this game) on Win 8.1

I'm almost certain my current copy comes from GoG, but my office browser now hates GoG so I can't search there.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Father Ted

In the unfortunate absence of a SWOTL for the twenty-tens, I think your best bet is IL2:1946.  BoB II is old and po-faced, whereas CloD is new and po-faced, and both have a limited plane-set.  Il2 '46 is also pretty old, but does have a host of weird and wacky planes to try.  There are also a host of missions and careers to try, courtesy of the still-large community.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 19, 2015, 02:19:59 PM
No really weird jets

Whoa, slow your roll, brah. The 229 is not a 'weird jet.' It is destruction, vengeance, cannon shells, and jet thrust encased in a thick, flying-wing-candy shell of bomber-flaming sex power.




Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 19, 2015, 02:23:06 PM
Mighty 8th is available on Steam here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/328900/

It reportedly runs fine (for whatever values count as "fine" for this game) on Win 8.1

I'm almost certain my current copy comes from GoG, but my office browser now hates GoG so I can't search there.

I forgot all about Mighty 8th! Thanks Jason. You can ( and I did) get it at GOG as well for $5.99

(Caveat to Gus: it is 15 years old though.)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 19, 2015, 04:39:56 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 19, 2015, 02:19:59 PM
No really weird jets

Whoa, slow your roll, brah. The 229 is not a 'weird jet.' It destruction, vengeance, cannon shells, and jet thrust encased in a thick, flying-wing-candy shell of bomber-flaming sex power.

The US copied the design.


Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on May 19, 2015, 06:59:53 PM

The US copied the design.



Well, it certainly played a part in the development of the B-2:

QuoteEngineers of the Northrop-Grumman Corporation had long been interested in the Ho 229, and several of them visited the Smithsonian Museum's facility in Silver Hill, Maryland in the early 1980s to study the V3 airframe, in the context of developing the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit. A team of engineers from Northrop-Grumman ran electromagnetic tests on the V3's multilayer wooden center-section nose cones. The cones are 19 mm (0.75 in) thick and made from thin sheets of veneer. The team concluded that there was indeed some form of conducting element in the glue, as the radar signal attenuated considerably as it passed through the cone.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_Ho_229#Stealth_technology
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Hmm IL21946 or the Mighty 8th?

No comment on Wings of Prey?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd