Witcher III - what have I missed?

Started by undercovergeek, May 15, 2015, 03:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Custom armor and amputations pushed me over the edge. Looking forward to the release. No idea where I'm going to find 40 GB.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Con

I finished Witcher 1...one of the few games I ever completed as an RPG.

Bought witcher 2 and never got past the prologue.  Now I just dont really have time for a Witcher game unless it can capture the magic of the first one.  So I am leaning towards not getting Witcher III since I really should at least complete Witcher II before outlaying another wad of cash for a game that has a greater than 50/50 chance of just taking up hard drive space and not getting played.

Con

BanzaiCat

I reinstalled Witcher 1 a month or so ago thinking I'd try to get back into it. A few years back I tried to play it but couldn't go past the castle - not because the game stopped me but because I was 'meh' on the game. I'm finding myself in the same predicament. Does W1 get better? I'm just not all that drawn in.

Rayfer

Quote from: Con on May 17, 2015, 09:23:35 AM
I finished Witcher 1...one of the few games I ever completed as an RPG.

Bought witcher 2 and never got past the prologue.  Now I just dont really have time for a Witcher game unless it can capture the magic of the first one.  So I am leaning towards not getting Witcher III since I really should at least complete Witcher II before outlaying another wad of cash for a game that has a greater than 50/50 chance of just taking up hard drive space and not getting played.

Con

I had a similar experience with 1 and 2, though in 2 I got slightly past the prologue. An article said 3 has 200 hours of content. With my 63 year old attention span....forget it!

Gusington

Witcher 3 is open world like Skyrim too, isn't it? Therefore, for peeps who could not advance past the prologue of Witcher 2, this may be a solution.

I finished Witcher 1 and enjoyed it until the end. That was one of the reasons I got so frustrated with the second one.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

The Witcher is like Dragon Age.  They took an excellent isometric style game and went with some halfassed action rpg for the second game.

BanzaiCat

Fair enough...I'll keep it on the HD and see if I have time for it in the near future.

Jarhead0331

I think one of the main things that held me back from really getting into the first two games was the player character. Few customization options and his look and style did not appeal to me. I generally don't like the "ranger" type characters who wear padded or leather armor. I like to have some say in the player's appearance and definitely appreciate the option to find, purchase or craft custom armor. Witcher 3 seems to have added this so I'm hopeful that I can at least be comfortable playing as a character who appeals to me in the open world.

I know this is a really superficial issue, but its something that has always mattered to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

I don't think it's superficial - who would want to play as a character that is uninteresting in any way?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Unlocked and available to play via gog....

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2015, 01:43:59 PM
Witcher 3 is open world like Skyrim too, isn't it? Therefore, for peeps who could not advance past the prologue of Witcher 2, this may be a solution.




Sounds like that is what they were shooting for.

Gusington

I patiently await the impressions of the peeps. In the meantime I have Grim Dawn and AoW 3 to scratch the fantasy itch.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Yennefer is hawt.

The game has already dragged me completely in. I'm engrossed in the story and the graphics are amazing. Combat so far is a fun mix of dueling and magic. I like it a lot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Cyrano

I'm far too deeply immersed in wargames of various stripes to even look this way, but I was struck by one comment that I wonder if others can confirm, viz.:  how long does the tutorial last?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jarhead0331

I'd say 15-20 minutes tops and most of it can be skipped.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18